Revo vs NAD 521BEE (& other entry level CDPs)?
May 12, 2004 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Asmo

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently own a m-audio revo, and I have a offer to pick up a NAD 521BEE at a discounted price, so I am wondering, quickly, if the nad 521BEE is worth it over the revo? Or would this CDP not be a huge improvement, better to keep saving.

May 12, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 9
Well I dont know if the Revo is as good as the EWX (I have my doubts), but whatever the case it should not be that far off. When I heard the NAD CD player you mention, personally, I was disappointed. I'll let you make of that what you will...

Inevitably though, you will get people telling you that soundcards cannot compete with CD players, and what do I know after all (as someone who owned an old hifi DAC and was once in the market for a CD player, and fully prepared to buy one).

May 12, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I currently own a m-audio revo, and I have a offer to pick up a NAD 521BEE at a discounted price, so I am wondering, quickly, if the nad 521BEE is worth it over the revo? Or would this CDP not be a huge improvement, better to keep saving.

I have heard that CDP, and was not too impressed with it either, I have owned the Revo, and would not consider that player much (if any) of an upgrade. You'd be better off saving for a better CDP, DAC, or soundcard. EMU is only $199 at most places, and is pretty sick, even stock.

May 18, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 9
I have a Sony SCD-CE775. It kicks my revo's ass. It rubs the revo's face in mud. It stomps all over it. Midrange tone, warmth, bass quantity, all more balanced, and richer. Most of all, the my cd player has a much more realistic sounding soundstage than my revo. The revo is flat in comparison. I paid $90 for this cd player, and it plays sacds, and was cheaper than my revo. Now, you're saying that the NAD 521bee is only on par with the revo? That's pretty shocking. If you can still find a stock version of my cd player, go for it. I guarantee you it'll spank the revo HARD.

I hope that EMU card really smokes.

May 20, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Wow, is this the consensus regarding the 521BEE. I have the Revo and the 521BEE and I find the NAD to be far superior.
Can one of you highlight what you find lacking in the NAD?

May 21, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 9
I haven't heard the NAD. In fact, I think the only consensus is that opinion of the revo isn't at a very high level at the moment
tongue.gif

May 21, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Wow, is this the consensus regarding the 521BEE. I have the Revo and the 521BEE and I find the NAD to be far superior.
Can one of you highlight what you find lacking in the NAD?

Well I dont have a Revo, but I have the EWX, but even so, I felt the NAD just sounded a bit bland and lacking sparkle, and also sounded harsh. The EWX sounded clearly nicer to my ears - this comparison was done with an X-Can v3 and Senn HD650 headphones.

May 21, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 9
When I tried the 521BEE with a Meta42 and CD1700 I found it had a warm sound with the tonal balance tilting towards more bass than treble. So I can agree it doesn't sparkle, but I can't say I heard anything harsh as I found it to be a quite smooth player. I ended up getting the more expensive 640C, but I think the 521BEE offers good value.

May 22, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Well, I have both and I think the NAD is better. As good as the Revo is, it's still a soundcard and IMHO can't be compared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back