Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Sep 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #766 of 812
Can you post what is said about gold plated copper?
Why put a lesser conductive metal (gold) over copper?
The electrons like to ride the surface as it is...
So that's like forcing them to ride under the gold plating and I am guessing less interference from the outside?
Oh well bottom line is how it sounds..
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought it was odd too. The site says "Just a touch on the warm side, with refined characteristics and extension of silver.  A nice, smooth, engaging sound with fast, clean decay." sounds good, but so does the description on the silver. Idk why, but this is a really hard choice for me to make

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #767 of 812
I actually just asked Zach about this. His response:

"The change in sound is not in the frequency response, it is merely in the slight tonality that is the attack and decay, or the undertones of the timbre.  It's very subtle and can only really be heard if comparing wires back to back, so there is no wrong choice.  The pure silver and gold plated are a little brighter and the Cardas Copper is a little smoother and darker.  I personally prefer the Cardas wire just because it creates a smoother sounding headphone without any "edge" to the notes, but that is merely personal preference.  Most people actually order the gold plated copper or pure silver."

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #768 of 812
About half a year ZMF were in the box. At that time I tried Hifiman HE-400, Sennheiser HD700, Beyerdynamic T-90 and was pretty pleased with that sound. But about a month age I took ZMF back to my everyday use... and was really amazed about its sound signature. 
With Schiit Modi+Magni it was way better than all the hp above. Although soundstage was not as big as hd700 and t90, but the main thing is the sound and enjoyment and it is soooo good! 
Especially the mids which I like, they are liquid and lively that immerse me into every music I listen to. 
Bass is very tight and kick well, but not that speedy. High also good, making the sound very transparent. 
Overall the sound is very smooth and neutral with a little warmth. 
If one would listen at low volume, they are not that balanced, but turn knob at least at 10 o'clock and they begin to shine! 

Now I just can not listen any other headphones. May be Beyerdynamic T1 + Bottlehead Crack combo would bring better sound, but not sure...

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #769 of 812
btw, what constitutes high listening volume? Idk how many decibels is loud or quiet. I have can opener app, so I know I listen at an average of 67 dB. Sorry for OT, but the guy before did mention volume level in regards to the headphone :p
BTW, I ordered the headphone with the silver cable. I'm pretty excited about it too

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #770 of 812
No more love for the regular ZMF?
I guess all the attention goes to the Vibro and Black Wood.

Finally I started to enjoy my ZMF with the SRH1540 pads. With enough damping, the sibilance is tolerable, and the sound right up  to my taste.
They are my main headphone of choise and I still recommend them highly.
I don't feel the urge to upgrade.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #771 of 812
Still loving my zmf. Haven't needed to upgrade. If I did I would probably go with he560. When my geek pulse xfi arrives I'll use it with zmf

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #772 of 812
^thats a logical upgrade. I still haven't found a more desirable closed back that is somewhat portable. I liked that mh40 quite a bit but it fit weird and got a little stuffy sounding. Those 1540 pads are great! And they don't leak!

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #776 of 812
Hey, has anyone tried the ZMF v1 with a LA Figaro 339? just bought a pair and was wondering how the synergy is between them before they arrive.

I own a Dark Voice 337SE(almost the same amp)it sounds good with the ZMF. I prefer the DV with dynamic Headphones, but it defiantly does an adequate job at driving the ZMF's.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #778 of 812
Hello there, I'm looking into buying a pair of the ZMF master model, but I can't seem to find any comparisons between the newest versions of the v1 and v2. Could anyone help me out? Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back