Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Sep 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #211 of 812
I mentioned it before, but a real nice alternative for an powerful amp is the Rock'n Glass by Zigis Audio Lab (Zigis is also a Headfi-er).
For sale at Ebay.

See: http://www.head-fi.org/t/402067/a-super-simple-6dj8-headphone-amp/465#post_9332707

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #212 of 812
Yeah saw the Zigis amp, looks great but kinda Similar to garage amps but better enclosure? Shipping is also a bit too expensive for me, I'd rather pay a bit more to get the MP-301 mk2 but thats just me.

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #213 of 812
Yeah saw the Zigis amp, looks great but kinda Similar to garage amps but better enclosure? Shipping is also a bit too expensive for me, I'd rather pay a bit more to get the MP-301 mk2 but thats just me.

Garage amp is ways better than the Zigis amp and i don't think Zigis amp have better enclosure, garage amp look much more sexier.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #214 of 812

Garage amp is ways better than the Zigis amp and i don't think Zigis amp have better enclosure, garage amp look much more sexier.

I see, how were you able to come to such a definite conclusion if I may ask? have you had the chance to hear both? just curious.

IMO the garage amp does not look attractive, but the Zigis rock n' glass wins hands down in the looks department. what was that saying again.........ah yeah to each his own I guess. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #215 of 812

I see, how were you able to come to such a definite conclusion if I may ask? have you had the chance to hear both? just curious.

IMO the garage amp does not look attractive, but the Zigis rock n' glass wins hands down in the looks department. what was that saying again.........ah yeah to each his own I guess. 

Zigis confirm that his rock'n'glass is just another version of indeed/bravo amp and look at inside the amp, it's must be a version of indeed G2 with better parts. Project Sunrise II is base on the indeed G2 with better parts too but more important it was redesign to get much better performance:
60% higher output power
much less distortion at higher output level
no more crosstalk

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #216 of 812

Zigis confirm that his rock'n'glass is just another version of indeed/bravo amp and look at inside the amp, it's must be a version of indeed G2 with better parts. Project Sunrise II is base on the indeed G2 with better parts too but more important it was redesign to get much better performance:
60% higher output power
no more crosstalk

Thank you for the explanation, cheers!
beerchug.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #217 of 812

60% higher output power
no more crosstalk

Zigis Rock' Glass is based on the amp descibed in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/402067/a-super-simple-6dj8-headphone-amp

For me as a European, the advantage was the relative low shipping costs and no customs duties. The Garaga amp would be a lot more expensive because of this.

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #218 of 812

Zigis Rock' Glass is based on the amp descibed in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/402067/a-super-simple-6dj8-headphone-amp

For me as a European, the advantage was the relative low shipping costs and no customs duties. The Garaga amp would be a lot more expensive because of this.

Yes, it's basically an indeed G2

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #219 of 812
Hey Zach, Here are my options right now, please let me know which one you think is better to pair with the ZMFs.

Audio GD NFB 15.32
Emotiva mini-x 100 via speaker taps
Musical Paradise MP301 mk2
Grant Fidelity PH6

Taveren,
 I have the NFB12 which is the older model, the amp section is the same but the NFB15.32 has an upgraded DAC section. The Audio GD has plenty of power for the ZMF and includes an excellent DAC which your other options do not have. I have no experience with the other options but some people prefer tubes over SS, vice versa, some like both, so what is best for you is yet to be determined. The Emotiva and Musical Paradise of course offer the option to power speakers as well as phones, lots to consider there. I personally feel the NFB 15.32 would be a great choice, the amp has plenty of power and and the excellent DAC section, offer great sound AND value. If you choose later to try tube amps the DAC in the NFB would still be available. Just my 2 cents, satwilson

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #220 of 812
Hi satwilson, thank you for your advise. Seems like the best route to take. I was really looking forward to try tube amps but I think you are right on the money their my friend.

I'll just grab the NFB 15.32 then later pair it with a tube amp as a DAC. More toys for me haha. Thanks again!

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #221 of 812
I'm so fired up!!!!  Zach is modifying my headphones now.  I went with the 4-pin V2 because I like to feel the music.  Hope it's not too much bass.  I also have a Starlight Tube Amp coming from Garage1217 as well.  I just started Graduate School at the age of 40+, and I'm at my desk all the time listening to music.  Hoping I made the right decision on these but feel pretty confident thanks to your comments.  I have a E7 that I was going to use for a DAC for the time being.  How much am I going to have to spend to beat the performance I'll get from the E7.  Remember, the best headphones I've heard are my Quiet Comfort 15's.  So, I'm expecting to be blown away.  Going to school to eventually be an Addictions Counselor....Thinking I'm going to need some help myself as I'm entering the addictive Head-Fi world.  Thanks for reading this far, and please let me know your opinions of somewhat inexpensive DAC's. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #222 of 812
Hi guys. I need your advise for sure, because i never heard of orthodynamic headphones before and have no idea of the sound.
So the deal is: i have a chance to buy Sennheiser HD600 for 275$(they go with nothing but a cable for that price), or i can do these ZMF T50RP for 250$, i managed to come to conclusion - these are the best choice below 300 pricepoint. If i had to choose on my own, i'd be glad to go with HD600, since they are much more highly regarded headphones out here, but the problem is, i listen to music "on the go" VERY often. I actually dont mind street ambient noises through open headphones when i'm walking, but in a bus scenario HD600 are unusable, partially due to some heavy Metalcore songs, many of which elderly citizens will not appreciate, and partially because open headphones take in so much of outside noise. BTW for amp i think to take Fiio E12, since it is powerful enough and price is not above my payrange. For the other hand, i like the good sound, and can sacrifice a lot for it. So are HD600 significantly better? Keep in mind that 400$ for both AMP and headphones is tops i can do for now.
I have a good 2 weeks to decide, so i hope i'll get some questions answered.
Btw, are orthodynamic headphones so much different from traditional cans in sound signature?

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #223 of 812
Florimer, personally I wont recommend Orthos as portable beause it is heavier than most cans and they require more power because they are low impedance and inedficient. to achieve their full potential you either pair it with expensive transportable amps or reasonably priced desktop amps. Therefore better for a home rig.

The ZMF is my first ortho and even though my desktop amp is not that great it gets the job done for classical and jazz music. I enjoy this modified T50RPs a lot! From my previous readings the smooth mids are what orthos are known for.

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #224 of 812
KBGolfRunner, congrats on the purchase man! I also got the V2 and its awesome. Dont forget to let us know your impressions when you get them. Good that you got a powerful amp to pair with, I am still hunting for "the one" cheers!

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #225 of 812
Well, that probably means i should look around once more, for portable headphones under 300$ ... thanks for your opinion.

If you could weight them, how heavy they really are? I also forgot to mention, that i'm looking for allaround headphones, i can take with me. That is what i do now with my ATH-M50's at least.

P.S. if those modified fostex are comfy enough, i can disregard the weight i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back