REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Oct 8, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,398 of 1,613
Hi.
Probably the question was already answered, but I can't find it.. Configuring foobar2000 for dsd output, as explained in Yulong site, in the section related to "foo_dsd_asio" they put "DSD Playback Method = DoP Marker...": does it mean that it isn't a native dsd? Of course, I've tried "ASIO Native" for DSD Playback Method, and it seems to function properly.
Btw, is it normal that during dsd playing (foobar2000), there's no peakmeters indication

Addendum: I've noted that playing different file types, when passing from a dsd to a mp3/flac in a high % of cases there is a pop, any suggestion to avoid it?

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,399 of 1,613
Pretty sure the issue isn't with the DA8, Foobar doesn't have DSD support by default if I remember correctly. I don't have peak meters either on DSD playback. I think the pop is the DA8 switching modes, the same pop happens when going from DAC to amp mode.

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #1,400 of 1,613
  Pretty sure the issue isn't with the DA8, Foobar doesn't have DSD support by default if I remember correctly. I don't have peak meters either on DSD playback. I think the pop is the DA8 switching modes, the same pop happens when going from DAC to amp mode.

Thanks. Probably I wasn't clear, I meant if da8 has native dsd support, not foobar. About pops, my fault, I was using "ASIO native" as Playback Method. Dop marker avoid any pop.
BUT, with ASIO native I can play dsd256, not with Dop marker (as stated by Yulong): using it I have "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not start ASIO playback" error message from foobar2000.

Any idea, guys?

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #1,401 of 1,613
  Hi.
Probably the question was already answered, but I can't find it.. Configuring foobar2000 for dsd output, as explained in Yulong site, in the section related to "foo_dsd_asio" they put "DSD Playback Method = DoP Marker...": does it mean that it isn't a native dsd? Of course, I've tried "ASIO Native" for DSD Playback Method, and it seems to function properly.
Btw, is it normal that during dsd playing (foobar2000), there's no peakmeters indication

Addendum: I've noted that playing different file types, when passing from a dsd to a mp3/flac in a high % of cases there is a pop, any suggestion to avoid it?

Despite the DA8 support for native DSD through ASIO, Yulong recommend using DoP. If you will play DSD64 and DSD128 only, you can follow Yulong recommendation and set the DSD Playback Method to DoP Marker. This will avoid the pop heard when switching from DSD to PCM. If you will play DSD256 and DSD512 you will have to set it to ASIO Native.
In my tests with DSD256 and DSD512 I heard some noise during the playback. May be the ASIO driver requires some improvements.

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,402 of 1,613
  Despite the DA8 support for native DSD through ASIO, Yulong recommend using DoP. If you will play DSD64 and DSD128 only, you can follow Yulong recommendation and set the DSD Playback Method to DoP Marker. This will avoid the pop heard when switching from DSD to PCM. If you will play DSD256 and DSD512 you will have to set it to ASIO Native.
In my tests with DSD256 and DSD512 I heard some noise during the playback. May be the ASIO driver requires some improvements.

You're right about needed improvement of asio drivers. In asio native I do not hear noise, but dangerous pops changing track. And about glitches, in foobar they are more present that in jriver, even if I upsample all to dsd128.

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #1,403 of 1,613
Elder, a question about dsd output, MC20 (jriver) has a low-pass filter selection for dsd, with a default value of 24kHz 48db/octave, with other possibilities like "none": but if I disabled jriver one (btw, foobar2000 seems not to have such filtering, and my tweeters are ok :wink:, has the da8 a low-pass filter for dsd conversion, to avoid ears/tweeters problems, or not?
It is difficult, for me, in finding such a information, probably is a ess9018 integrated function, but I can't read the datasheet.
Thanks
Marco

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,404 of 1,613
Hello everybody,
I am sorry I am not able to answer to your questions but I have to tell you something about Yulong DA8. As some of you know, I have an improved Yulong DA8 by replacing the IC-OPA by discret OPAs. I have never been convinced by USB port. So thanks to some friends, I bought a Yellowtec PUC2 USB/AEC Lite converter. It's better by a marge than USB link. Besides I added a Mutec MC3+ Reclocker AES/AES and it's very very good now. Just to inform you for the best using of Yulong DAC...
regular_smile .gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,405 of 1,613
If anyone is interested, I just reviewed the Yulong D200 over at Headphone.guru - the D200 is essentially the little brother of the DA8, and gives up very little in overall performance considering the price difference. It does sacrifice some things like build quality, features, and that cool OLED display. But it's not cheap looking by any means and the neutral sound might actually be a better fit than DA8 for certain systems. 

If you were considering the DA8 but having a tough time with the price, you might look at the D200 as a more affordable alternative.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,406 of 1,613
  Elder, a question about dsd output, MC20 (jriver) has a low-pass filter selection for dsd, with a default value of 24kHz 48db/octave, with other possibilities like "none": but if I disabled jriver one (btw, foobar2000 seems not to have such filtering, and my tweeters are ok :wink:, has the da8 a low-pass filter for dsd conversion, to avoid ears/tweeters problems, or not?
It is difficult, for me, in finding such a information, probably is a ess9018 integrated function, but I can't read the datasheet.
Thanks
Marco

Marco,
the JRMC DSD plug-in filter is applied when a DSD source is converted to PCM. DSD bitstreamed to the DAC is not altered at all. Likewise, while playing DSD with foobar2000, there is no change or filtering unless the DSD source is converted to PCM. The conversion algorithms will very likely use a filter to remove DSD the ultra-sonic noise.
The DA8 does have a low pass filter, integrated in the ESS9018. You can select one of the three available options (50, 60 and 70 kHz) by pressing the "Filter" button on the front panel.
I do not know whether there is or not an analog filter after the ESS9018 output. I believe there is one. If there is one, it will probably be wider than 70 kHz.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #1,407 of 1,613
  Marco,
the JRMC DSD plug-in filter is applied when a DSD source is converted to PCM. DSD bitstreamed to the DAC is not altered at all. Likewise, while playing DSD with foobar2000, there is no change or filtering unless the DSD source is converted to PCM. The conversion algorithms will very likely use a filter to remove DSD the ultra-sonic noise.
The DA8 does have a low pass filter, integrated in the ESS9018. You can select one of the three available options (50, 60 and 70 kHz) by pressing the "Filter" button on the front panel.
I do not know whether there is or not an analog filter after the ESS9018 output. I believe there is one. If there is one, it will probably be wider than 70 kHz.

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,409 of 1,613
Hi Esprit (es-tu là?),
of course not, because AES is limited to HD 192KHz files.. 
regular_smile .gif
   95% of my collection.
What a pity, but it sounds so good. Just heard at loud gain Nina Simone, "Strange fruit"; when tears come to my eyes... on Theshold SA/6e--Magnepan 3.7...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back