REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Sep 13, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #1,726 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by weendex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about 5 days into my W3 experience.

Still not entirely happy with the highs. They are very accurate, smooth, and a pleasure to listen to. Very wide sound. However I have to boost the treble with EQ and unfortunately the iphone eq destroys the music.

Tip fit was a problem, I find the sound unnacceptable with every tip except for the triple flange. I cut down the stem and it sounds the best. It was uncomfortable at first to insert the tips, but now they are less sticky and I've learned that my ear canal is angled up a bit, its getting easier.

I got a set of new triple flange tips and tried to mod to a double flange, but the comfort was not enough to make up for the reduction in sound quality. So I've stuck with the triple flange with shortened stem.

So overall I'm very happy with the W3's, but not entirely satisfied. My ears are getting used to the reduced highs, but still not entirely pleased with having to EQ it.

I'm listening to mostly rock, where the high end is pretty critical for the edgy guitars and heavy hitting vocals. Mostly ALAC encoded files. No amp (yet!)

I once had the W3s and an the Touch, and had to do the exact same thing. The tri-flanges were the best (no harshness at all), but due to their length, they did muffle the treble somewhat. I also EQ'd them useing the Acoustic setting on the Touch. I found that the W3s were much better with the Sony A818, because the EQ is much more flexible and effective.

In the end, I chose to swap the W3s to the UM3X, mainly because of that issue. I have a Zune80, which has no EQ, as my main DAP, so the W3 was a poor match. However, I did like the W3s and might have kept both, but just decided to try the UM3X, which turned out to be perfect.

One thing you can try is the UM56, which does add to the cost, but HPA and others have said that the custom sleeves eliminates harshness but does not muffle the highs.

In fact, I have a UM56 on order, but more for comfort than anything else (though they say the customs also improve the UM3X sound too).

So you are not alone.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #1,727 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W3s have forward Highs so I'm surprised to hear that you need to boost the treble. If anything, I sometimes lower the Highs on the EQ. I wonder how different the IEMs sound compared to the Sansa Clip?

Have you tried the Shure Olives? The triple flanges in my experience produced a nice, full sound, but the highs take a bit of a hit.

I'm using the olives as well, seems to fit my ears extremely well. And I find them a bit easier to put in and out of my ears than the complys.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #1,728 of 2,117
Been using the soft flex sleeves from the start. Due to a few posts up, decided to try the clear silicone. The medium is just a tad bigger than the med flex..I have to use the over the top lift of the ear to put them in..but so far I'm likin' it. I get the same clarity with much better isolation. Better than any kind of triple flange for me. Still gonna try the shure olives too. Loving the W3 more all the time. Perfect for my tastes and comfort to boot. Nice.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,729 of 2,117
^^ good to hear your happy with them. my favorite are by far the standard comply's. Gonna get some of the short larges to try them next week. The mediums are just a little too small for my ears. I love the w3's
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #1,730 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they are much more difficult to remove but using my shirt and twist back and forth a couple times to loosen them. But I've experienced variances of different copies of the W3 (and UM3X). A fraction a millimeter is all that is necessary to make one more difficult than the other to remove. For me, the right one is always a little tougher to remove than the left. I've never had to resort to anything drastic to remove them, though. The only concern is the integrity of the olives, but despite my abuses and twists, they're holding up remarkably well!

I had similar troubles getting the Shure foam tips onto and off of the Westone 3s. The external finish of the sound tube of the Westone 3s is completely polished, as is the interior of the tube of the foam tips. On the Shure SE530s, the sound tube has a mat finish. I figured this was part of the problem, so I picked up a threading tool at the hardware store and "threaded" a spiral marking into the Shure tubes. It greatly improved the ease with which the tips can be installed and removed.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #1,731 of 2,117
Good observation. I didn't notice the matte finish on the Shures, but that certainly makes a big difference.

I wonder if I can get an internal threaded tool? That way, I can just modify the olive (or foam) inner tube. Is this what you were suggesting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had similar troubles getting the Shure foam tips onto and off of the Westone 3s. The external finish of the sound tube of the Westone 3s is completely polished, as is the interior of the tube of the foam tips. On the Shure SE530s, the sound tube has a mat finish. I figured this was part of the problem, so I picked up a threading tool at the hardware store and "threaded" a spiral marking into the Shure tubes. It greatly improved the ease with which the tips can be installed and removed.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #1,732 of 2,117
Yes, I used the threading tool to ream a thread into the inside of the Shure foam's plastic tube. The plastic sure is tough--the material didn't cut easily, not like metal would, but the "thread" was left inside that improved ease of mounting and unmounting.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #1,733 of 2,117
I recieved my W3 today (thank god) and my first impression straight out of the box; wow the clarity, the accurate and puncy bass and the mids silky-smooth. I'm definately happy with these bunnies no matter the cost. Cowon S9 > Fiio E5 > Shure olives > W3

I don't believe in burn in when it comes to armature drivers - but I can probably expect a placebo/psychologial burn in. i.e grown accustom to it
duggehsmile.png

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #1,734 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used my last food savings to buy the W3s today, now the wait... I had PortaPros, Sr60s and Se530s before as portable phones - Will I be pleased with the W3s?
I do like bass as well as crispy highs blended together. I don't listen to vocally based musics that much so the Se530s did dissapoint a little seeing as I listen to Metal/rock/pop some jazz and electronica. Will there be alot of difference between the SE530s and the newly bought W3s? Cheers for answering

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have no problem finding the right sound after you try a few tips and different depths of insertion.

If you don't like the W3, I will trade you my Senn IE8 and a new pack of Sony hybrid silicone tips > straight across for your W3. Seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recieved my W3 today (thank god) and my first impression straight out of the box; wow the clarity, the accurate and puncy bass and the mids silky-smooth. I'm definately happy with these bunnies no matter the cost. Cowon S9 > Fiio E5 > Shure olives > W3

I don't believe in burn in when it comes to armature drivers - but I can probably expect a placebo/psychologial burn in. i.e grown accustom to it
duggehsmile.png

So, I guess the trade is not gonna happen?
frown.gif

I really need to find my W3, I miss them...

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #1,735 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I guess the trade is not gonna happen?
frown.gif

I really need to find my W3, I miss them...

No dice
tongue_smile.gif
I love these

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #1,736 of 2,117
I got mine today. Currently listening to Deadmau5/Kaskade - I Remember.

Wow. I cannot believe my ears. These are absolutely amazing. Everything sounds so much more balanced. I feel the dynamics of the music again. I hear the details. Simply amazing.

Glad I went with them, I had good experiences getting questions I had addressed with Westone over the phone yesterday. Very polite and happy to help.

Ordered through my local dispenser yesterday, they arrived this morning.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #1,738 of 2,117
I'm sure these would be great for movies. Haven't been able to put mine down.

I'll load a movie tonight and see what its like. Any specific type that you are interested in knowing how the 3 handles it?

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #1,739 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure these would be great for movies. Haven't been able to put mine down.

I'll load a movie tonight and see what its like. Any specific type that you are interested in knowing how the 3 handles it?

Just action movies, i want to know how it handles the bass. Something like Hulk/Dark Knight/etc. Thanks!

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #1,740 of 2,117
I watched the first scene of Swordfish on Blu-Ray. HDMI between the PS3 and my home theater receiver. I felt pretty odd sitting in my theater watching a movie with headphones on. :p

I was quite surprised at how well the 3's handled it. They gave a sense of surround sound throughout, and I felt the bass was adequate. It may have just been my choice of movie, but the bass is better with music than it was with the scene. It was still a pleasant experience however.

I'm still extremely happy with my 3's. I know you are curious about bass response, and the Atrio is pretty well known for big bass. I'd say the 3 is able to produce at least the same amount as the Atrio, however it doesn't seem to exaggerate like the Atrio did. When there is supposed to be a lot of bass, it's there, and it's great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back