Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Apr 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #436 of 840
Quote:
Hey guys I just received my v800. Even with usb cable they sent to me, the sound is a great improvement on my system.

just in case you've seen what used to be in this reply, I solved the problem somehow so that volume control thing doesn't bother me anymore now.

Anyway, what interface do you guys use? I was just thinking maybe I should get something like 'M2tech hiface'.. Any other recommendations?

Buy a Matrix X-Spidf interface and use with it an external power supply like the Aqvox usb power supply.
You won't be disappointed

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #437 of 840
I have had many amps and dacs that I loved initially but for one reason or another I sold.  
But what makes the v200/v800 combo a keeper is that:
a. It is revealing
b. But also musical
c. Finally, it's versatile. It pairs well with all the headphones I have.  

Having all three is very hard to find. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #440 of 840
Quote:
Hey guys I just received my v800. Even with usb cable they sent to me, the sound is a great improvement on my system.

just in case you've seen what used to be in this reply, I solved the problem somehow so that volume control thing doesn't bother me anymore now.

Anyway, what interface do you guys use? I was just thinking maybe I should get something like 'M2tech hiface'.. Any other recommendations?

The HIFace 2 and go to that forum and look for the Luckit Drivers to install. It is "simply sensational!" 

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #441 of 840
Ok, so yesterday I had a final comparison of the V800 against the Rega DAC.
System I used was a friends' system: Accuphase Stereoblock, Preamp and CDP and B&W 802D speakers (amazing system!).

We did lots of comparisons with different settings of each DAC and compared it also to the Accuphase CDP.
Results:
- The Rega DAC always sounded warm and a littly bassy, gave instruments and voices more body but it was much "slower", less accurate, less dynamic and less transparent than the other two
- The V800 was amazingly fast and transparent but rendered voices and guitars a little bit too lean (at least, for his system). Soundstage was smaller, but still accurate in terms of placement.
- The stupid accuphase CDP delivered the best of both worlds. Lots of body, great soundstage, transparent, fast .... damn that thing! I forgot the model number (probably a DP-67), but he said it would go for around 2500 Euro used, so I guess it's "allowed" to be better :)

- A "just for fun" test was to connect the V800 with the balanced outputs (we only used coax to have a fair comparison until then). First impression: Much, much louder. Is that normal? Or is that an accuphase amp sensitivity thing? Second impression: Probably even more accurate, more texture ... but it was difficult to compare cause of the different output levels.
Still, there's the possibility that the V800 would best the Accuphase CDP with the balanced output!

So, bottom line: The Rega goes back to the dealer, I like the V800 and have to find a way to make my RC-L control unit (which is basically an equalizer especially tailored for my speakers) work with balanced in/out ... else I have to find new speakers, the Canton Ergo RC-L I use weren't intended to work without the control unit and they just sound flat, harsh and bland without it :/

Did anyone else here make a comparison of the coax out vs. balanced out?

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #442 of 840
yes, by default, rca is +6bBu while xlr +15bBu, which make a huge difference in level out

delivering a lower dBu to the amplifier, thus having to rise the volume pot more, makes the sound have more weight and separation, while a higher dBu in level out will give a more tight impact, crispier sound

with the v800 you can change the level out dBu to match the amp

May 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #443 of 840
Looks like I am about to take the plunge on a V800,I noticed it has an XLR digital input on the back,would I be able to use a cable like this to hook it up to a coax source which would in effect would give it 2 coax inputs??........
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330857924893?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

May 24, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #444 of 840
Quote:
Looks like I am about to take the plunge on a V800,I noticed it has an XLR digital input on the back,would I be able to use a cable like this to hook it up to a coax source which would in effect would give it 2 coax inputs??........
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330857924893?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I've never tried that but I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work. As long as the cable performs as advertised. There's a minor difference between the formats - AES/EBU cables (the XLR type) are normally 110 ohm, while coaxial SPDIF is 75 ohm. But most of the time coaxial SPDIF cables don't exactly meet the spec anyway. And there is much argument about whether or not it even matters in shorter cable runs. I'd say for the price, it's definitely worth a try - I doubt you will notice any significant issues with it. 

May 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #449 of 840
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just joined the V800 owners club. I already have the V200 and sold the V100. It's warming up right now

Congrats.. I couldn't be happier with the V800/V200 combo.  I have no desire to sniff out another solid state rig.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

May 29, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #450 of 840
Just some word about connecting a digital coaxial output to a digital balanced input:

[size=10.0pt]The coaxial digital interface (often also called S/P-DIF = Sony/Philips digital interface ) is decribed in IEC 958 [/size]
[size=10.0pt]Here the signal voltage should be -10 dB (around 200mV) with a impedance of 75 Ohms.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]An alternative is AES-3-id which is meanwhile preferred by the industry[/size].
[size=10.0pt]Here the voltage is 1 V with a impedance of 75 Ohm and so mirroring Video standards in terms of in/out circuits, voltages and cables (BNC)[/size]

[size=10.0pt]As a standard, RCA (Cinch) connectors or BNC connectors are used for unbalanced digital audio lines.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The balanced digital interface according to AES respectively AES/EBU standards is described in AES-3-1992[/size].
[size=10.0pt]Here the transmitting voltage shall be between 2 and 10 V with a impedance of 110 Ohms.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]The receiver shall have a sensitivity of 200mV ![/size]

[size=10.0pt]A[/size][size=10.0pt]s a standard, XLR connectors are used.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Also please note that the AES standard is not demanding for input/output transformers while with the AES/EBU standard the transformer(s) are mandatory !! [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Because of the different voltages it is much easier to come from balanced outputs to unbalanced inputs, the other direction often suffers from weak signals ![/size]
The impedance mismatch is not critical with lines up to 3m / 10 ft.

[size=10.0pt]For electronically balanced digital inputs (according to AES rules) you may use adaptors like here:[/size]
[size=10.0pt]http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NA2MPMF-Female-Adapter---Neutrik/dp/B005TE87HA/ref=sr_1_57?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369815142&sr=1-57&keywords=xlr+adaptor+neutrik[/size]

[size=10.0pt]… or use cables like this here :  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330857924893?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649&clk_rvr_id=485031197773[/size]

[size=10.0pt]For transformer balanced digital inputs (according to AES/EBU rules) you can also use the above adaptors but you will loose the benefits of the transformer coupling: no electrical interconnection - which may help to eliminate hum loops.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Better take a cable like the one above and change the XLR wiring: Pin 1 = open Pin 2 = hot, Pin 3 = cold/shield.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]If in doubt you can also follow the instructions on page 9 from the V800 manual :wink:) [/size]

[size=10.0pt]All the best[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Fried[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back