Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Dec 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,966 of 3,062
Quote:
Hello, I just joined.  I live in Austin, TX, USA...

I am in the process of ordering the V200 with the USB option from Lake.  In reading these blogs, I notice that many people have commented on the Optional DAC (not the V800).  Is this listed in the Violectric purchasing options?  If so, which one is it?  They are not open today or I would ask them via E-mail.

I just purchased an HD800 and from reading a great deal of blogs it appears this amp will moderately reduce the brightness of the HD800 which many have commented about.  My other consideration is the Burson Conductor but from most accounts it will be too bright for me.  Are my assumptions correct?

In regards to the V800 DAC, does it serve as good DAC for a full stereo system with amps/speakers etc. or is it more predominately designed for the headphone amp?

You can email them and you'll get a quick reply - the owner of the company just posted here right above you. Not many other companies are as accessible as Lake People.

I use the V800 in a speaker based system and it does a great job. There's not really any specific reason a DAC would work better in a headphone only scenario. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,967 of 3,062
Quote:
Hello, I just joined.  I live in Austin, TX, USA...

I am in the process of ordering the V200 with the USB option from Lake.  In reading these blogs, I notice that many people have commented on the Optional DAC (not the V800).  Is this listed in the Violectric purchasing options?  If so, which one is it?  They are not open today or I would ask them via E-mail.

I just purchased an HD800 and from reading a great deal of blogs it appears this amp will moderately reduce the brightness of the HD800 which many have commented about.  My other consideration is the Burson Conductor but from most accounts it will be too bright for me.  Are my assumptions correct?

In regards to the V800 DAC, does it serve as good DAC for a full stereo system with amps/speakers etc. or is it more predominately designed for the headphone amp?

The link for the USB option is:

http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/products/usm-24-96.php

If the HD800 is only moderately bright to your ears, then the neutreal and only slightly warm V200 is fine. If you find the HD800 really bright, I would suggest to look elsewhere

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,968 of 3,062
So, when simply running a CD player to the V200 and plugging in the HD800, no DAC is necessary for improved SQ.  The same for when using a MAC or PC (with the optional USB), V200 and HD800.  

However, when not using the HD800 in the full stereo system, the V800 will do it's job?

Are these assumptions correct or am I confused?

Thanks!

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,970 of 3,062
Quote:
So, when simply running a CD player to the V200 and plugging in the HD800, no DAC is necessary for improved SQ.  The same for when using a MAC or PC (with the optional USB), V200 and HD800.  

However, when not using the HD800 in the full stereo system, the V800 will do it's job?

Are these assumptions correct or am I confused?

Thanks!

When running a CD player to the V200 or a preamp, you use the CD player's dac. You can still improve the SQ if you feed an external dac better than the CD player's embedded dac through the CD player's digital output.

The optional USB dac module of V200 is significantly inferior to the V800 dac.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,971 of 3,062
Quote:
When running a CD player to the V200 or a preamp, you use the CD player's dac. You can still improve the SQ if you feed an external dac better than the CD player's embedded dac through the CD player's digital output.

The optional USB dac module of V200 is significantly inferior to the V800 dac.

Thanks for the input! 

So what plugs in to what?  CD player > DAC > V200 and then DAC > Preamplifier > Amplifier?

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,972 of 3,062
Quote:

Thanks for the input! 

So what plugs in to what?  CD player > DAC > V200 and then DAC > Preamplifier > Amplifier?

If the CD player is good enough:
CD player > V200 
CD player > Preamplifier > Amplifier

If the CD player is not good enough:
CD player (digital out) > DAC > V200
CD player (digital out) > DAC > Preamplifier > Amplifier

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,973 of 3,062
Quote:

Who is this directed towards? If it's for me, I have a very hard time ranking amps because they tend to pair better with certain headphones and worse with others. So my favorite amp for my Audio Technica W1000X is the Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2. My favorite amp for the LCD-2 is the V200. Favorite amp for all my custom IEMs is the built in amp in the Anedio D2 DAC. Favorite amp for the Beyer T1 is the Icon Audio HP8 MKII. Favorite for the HiFiMAN HE400 is the Yulong Sabre A18. Some of these (especially the V200) have really good crossover appeal where they do very well with all my headphones, even if not being the absolute best choice. Others are more specific and only do well with a few models. 

Yes, it was directed to you - Sorry didn't use the quoting properly. And thank you for that post, again it is very helpful - it is a joy reading your comments/opinion/reviews - Thank you!

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,974 of 3,062
Quote:
Has anyone compared the RCA to XLR inputs?
I've been listening with balanced cables since I have V200 (my DAC is balanced). And today tried single end cables for the first time. It sounds more natural and with smoother treble with them (I have Van den Hul The Second both XLR and RCA variants). I'll keep listening for some days before go back to balanced connection for AB comparisons.

Catching up on my reading.  I like the RCA better after A/B test.  It surprised me that the balanced weren't better after my reading but it is what it is.  So I returned the XLR cables after four or five days.  Some others report preferring the XLR's in their systems, it was a long time back but they seemed more muffled as i recall and just not as dynamic.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,976 of 3,062
Quote:
Catching up on my reading.  I like the RCA better after A/B test.  It surprised me that the balanced weren't better after my reading but it is what it is.  So I returned the XLR cables after four or five days.  Some others report preferring the XLR's in their systems, it was a long time back but they seemed more muffled as i recall and just not as dynamic.

My balanced inputs sound more harsh and less 3D than the single ended no matter what cables I use.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,977 of 3,062
I was just wondering who leaves their V200 permanently switched on?

I have noticed that it takes approximately an hour or two for the V200 to settle after each turn on to reach optimal. Otherwise, it is a little sharp/edgy sounding with less texture in the bass and a rather flat soundstage comparatively.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #1,978 of 3,062

To me I like the XLR interconnection between V800 and V200 better than RCA. Actually I did so after I talked to Mr. Fried in the emails. He suggested to connect them through XLR to get the best out of them, and I really heard the difference, won't go back.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,979 of 3,062
Quote:

I have noticed that it takes approximately an hour or two for the V200 to settle after each turn on to reach optimal. Otherwise, it is a little sharp/edgy sounding with less texture in the bass and a rather flat soundstage comparatively.

I always have it on. Same with DAC's, tube or otherwise. Actually recommend by DAC manufactured to leave on as it puts less stress on the tubes than power cycling, and does - like the amp - indeed sound better warmed up.

KP

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,980 of 3,062
Quote:

When I wake up I turn on all all the boxes and they work all day. Only the KGSS is always on because it takes many hours to reach it's full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back