REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Aug 23, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #31 of 1,290
I don't think it's because of that, I personally don't believe they're voiced for a certain market. A 6k spike brings about direction and voice recognition because of our ear's sensitivity in the 4k-6k region. The spike is good but getting it done correctly is risky, it will be harsh if the peak is too high or if there's a dip that will overemphasize it's presence. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #35 of 1,290

Quote:

Looks German.  
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #36 of 1,290
Hey project86

Would you recommend the merlin if I was to never use an amp and strictly use it out of my iphone? Or would that handicap make another IEM (eg 1964Q) better value?

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #37 of 1,290

Quote:
Hey project86

Would you recommend the merlin if I was to never use an amp and strictly use it out of my iphone? Or would that handicap make another IEM (eg 1964Q) better value?

The Merlin still sounds quite good just from a basic player or phone. You do get at least some glimpse of the quality that it has. I think the biggest thing holding you back in most situations is going to be background noise rather than source/amping. This is partially true even for other customs that isolate very well.

When people talk about using just an iPhone or something, I never know what exactly we are referring to. Is this a commute situation where they will be used on a bus for an hour a day in each direction? If so, my personal opinion is that you are not really doing much critical listening. You might as well get a lower model. But if that system is for something like using in an office, where you are much more focused on the music and the background (both audible and visual) is less distracting, then the higher end customs make perfect sense. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #38 of 1,290
I use my customs right out of my sgs phone and it sounds good but not great. You get an idea of how they are but not to the full potential however I will still take that over a better source, amp and universal iem.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #41 of 1,290

Quote:
Good job Buddy!

Seeing how I didn't like the miracle, I'm staying clear of this one since it seems to exuberate similar qualities to the miracle.

I'll start saving for the JH16.

That's probably a good strategy for you - Merlin is somewhat different from the Miracle but not an absolute dramatic departure.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #42 of 1,290

Quote:
Good job Buddy!

Seeing how I didn't like the miracle, I'm staying clear of this one since it seems to exuberate similar qualities to the miracle.

I'll start saving for the JH16.

Wait... someone didn't like the Miracle? :O

What was wrong with it?

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #43 of 1,290

Quote:
Just sent in my impressions for some Merlins! can't wait, it will be really good to not worry about tips anymore, plus the expected huge sub-bass of course.

... And much to my surprise, the Merlins arrived today (!!!!!!!) So much for the 5 week turnaround! Will post impressions and pics later, about to leave the house with them for field tests (lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back