[Review] Toxic Cable (DIY) UPOCC Silver + 1% Gold CIEM Cable (Comparison with Jaben's silver cable)
May 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Xymordos

Headphoneus Supremus
Equipment:

Yulong D100
Matrix M-Stage
Chinese Customs
Toxic Cable UPOCC Silver + 1% Gold CIEM Cable. The connectors were MS Audio Rhodium plated 3.5mm plugs.
No name Pure Silver Cable from Jaben

Songs

JPop:
Girl Next Door – Infinity
fripSide – Only My Railgun
Yui – Feel My Soul
西野カナ(Nishino Kana) – 君って 
Metal:
Dream Theater – Bridges in the Sky
Dragonforce – Body Breakdown
Western Pop:
Lady Gaga – Bad Romance
LMAO – Party Rock Anthem

Review Method:

Choose a cable and a song, listen to a section of that song, then swap to a different cable. Repeat this for the same section for a few times.

Comparison between Toxic Cable UPOCC cable and Jaben Pure Silver Cable

•    Toxic Cable

o    Out of all the cables I heard, this cable changes the sound the most. At first I thought I had a different IEM when I plugged it in.
o    Extremely extremely tight bass. Super powerful punch that can give me headaches after long periods of bassy songs. Completely different from Jaben's cable. The extension is not as good as Jaben's cable though...but you won't hear this unless you focus on it.
o    However, the mega punch in bass, though satisfying, also causes the bass to sound very unnatural, and somewhat disconnected from the rest of the music.
o    A lot less reverb in each note in the music. Makes the IEM much faster than before with more details.
o   A smaller sound stage, especially smaller in the width, but deeper in depth. However, this may be due to the Jaben cable having a massive sound stage.  Very, very black background.
o    Excellent instrument separation and imaging. Superb.
o    A LOT of details. For Some songs I felt that Toxic Cable actually split up each instrument and each note cleanly and presented them to you on a platter. Strong analytical powers.
o    Even though each detail is separated and presented to you together, they are not congested and layered very nicely. Each detail in the notes are also presented to you with a lot of force and power in the sound. This may be fatiguing for some people.
o    Brighter treble than the Jaben Cable, and also better extension. 
o    Mids are pushed forward. The superb imaging allows you to actually see the exact position of the singer singing in front of you. Female vocals are better than male vocals.
o    The sound is more focused on mids and treble. Though the bass may be quite unnatural, the mids and highs sound much more accurate than other cables.
o    Fatiguing sound.

•    Jaben

o    The bass is much less focused than the Toxic cable, but it is soft and sinks really deep. There is more bass than Toxic Cable, but still much less in quantity than any copper cable.
o    Considerably less detailed than Toxic Cable
o    A very soft and non-fatiguing sound. Very natural.
o    Extremely large sound stage that beat all the Jaben cables I tried in their shop. Also beats the Toxic cable.
o    Sparkly highs, but non-fatiguing
o    Lots of reverb, especially in the bass. The small echoes in sound creates a very natural atmosphere and improve dynamics. This does reduce details however.
o    Due to the large sound stage, vocals are very very slightly behind the instruments. Most of the time you won't notice.
o    Again, very natural and non-fatiguing

•   Summary

o    Because there are so much more details in Toxic cable, and its imaging and extension in sound, Toxic Cable is obviously the better cable.
o    However, both cables sound drastically different from the other. Be very careful in choosing the right cable.
o    Toxic Cable needs a lot of burn in. A lot. 
o    My friend said Toxic Cable sounded a lot like an Audio Technica sound signature, except Audio Technica's sound would be smoother, with much much less bass.

May 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:
Equipment:

Yulong D100
Matrix M-Stage
Chinese Customs
Toxic Cable UPOCC Silver + 1% Gold CIEM Cable
No name Pure Silver Cable from Jaben

Songs

JPop:
Girl Next Door – Infinity
fripSide – Only My Railgun
Yui – Feel My Soul
西野カナ(Nishino Kana) – 君って 
Metal:
Dream Theater – Bridges in the Sky
Dragonforce – Body Breakdown
Western Pop:
Lady Gaga – Bad Romance
LMAO – Party Rock Anthem

Review Method:

Choose a cable and a song, listen to a section of that song, then swap to a different cable. Repeat this for the same section for a few times.

Comparison between Toxic Cable UPOCC cable and Jaben Pure Silver Cable

•    Toxic Cable

o    Out of all the cables I heard, this cable changes the sound the most. At first I thought I had a different IEM when I plugged it in.
o    Extremely extremely tight bass. Super powerful punch that can give me headaches after long periods of bassy songs. Completely different from Jaben's cable. The extension is not as good as Jaben's cable though...but you won't hear this unless you focus on it.
o    However, the mega punch in bass, though satisfying, also causes the bass to sound very unnatural, and somewhat disconnected from the rest of the music.
o    A lot less reverb in each note in the music. Makes the IEM much faster than before with more details.
o   A smaller sound stage, especially smaller in the width, but deeper in depth. However, this may be due to the Jaben cable having a massive sound stage.  Very, very black background.
o    Excellent instrument separation and imaging. Superb.
o    A LOT of details. For Some songs I felt that Toxic Cable actually split up each instrument and each note cleanly and presented them to you on a platter. Strong analytical powers.
o    Even though each detail is separated and presented to you together, they are not congested and layered very nicely. Each detail in the notes are also presented to you with a lot of force and power in the sound. This may be fatiguing for some people.
o    Brighter treble than the Jaben Cable, and also better extension. 
o    Mids are pushed forward. The superb imaging allows you to actually see the exact position of the singer singing in front of you. Female vocals are better than male vocals.
o    The sound is more focused on mids and treble. Though the bass may be quite unnatural, the mids and highs sound much more accurate than other cables.
o    Fatiguing sound.

•    Jaben

o    The bass is much less focused than the Toxic cable, but it is soft and sinks really deep. There is more bass than Toxic Cable, but still much less in quantity than any copper cable.
o    Considerably less detailed than Toxic Cable
o    A very soft and non-fatiguing sound. Very natural.
o    Extremely large sound stage that beat all the Jaben cables I tried in their shop. Also beats the Toxic cable.
o    Sparkly highs, but non-fatiguing
o    Lots of reverb, especially in the bass. The small echoes in sound creates a very natural atmosphere and improve dynamics. This does reduce details however.
o    Due to the large sound stage, vocals are very very slightly behind the instruments. Most of the time you won't notice.
o    Again, very natural and non-fatiguing

•   Summary

o    Because there are so much more details in Toxic cable, and its imaging and extension in sound, Toxic Cable is obviously the better cable.
o    However, both cables sound drastically different from the other. Be very careful in choosing the right cable.
o    Toxic Cable needs a lot of burn in. A lot. 
o    My friend said Toxic Cable sounded a lot like an Audio Technica sound signature, except Audio Technica's sound would be smoother, with much much less bass.

Thank you for the review and i am glad you like the cable. I do have a question though, did you make that IEM cable yourself with my wire or get someone else to do it. The cable was most certainly not made by me, in which case it might be a good idea to state in the review that this is a DIY cable and not from Toxic Cables.

The overall sound you get from a cable can depend on a lot of things, such as the quality of the connectors and pins used to make the cable as well as the quality of the solder used and workmanship on the solder joints.

May 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 29
Ahh yes, I added DIY to the title now. The cable was made by my friend, who I trust with making cables, as he makes cables locally for many other people too, and is very popular. This is also the reason why I asked if there is just an pure silver version of your cable without the gold, to see if the bass is more normal. Also, can I ask if you would ever be making a thicker version of your silver poison? I loved the details of your cable, and with a thicker cable I hope the details would be even better!

Thank you

May 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 29
Thanks for editing the post.

My previous version was thicker and after some R&D i settled on the current version for obvious reasons, due to MOT rules i am not allowed to comment on why.
The new wire, even though it is smaller, costs me more to have produced.
As for the Gold content, it is up to 1% and not 1%, last time i had it tested it was 0.7% gold content and rest silver.

Also, regarding the bass, i think you might want to read comments from other people, of cables i have made myself.

Maybe in a couple months or so i can send you one of my own cables once they arrive, so that you can compare both, if you would like that.

May 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 29
I see, it seems that your DIY cables are the ones that cause this issue, as in, I have heard others who DIYed with your cable and received similar sounds with mine. Is it possible to tell us what solder and plugs you used?

May 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:
I see, it seems that your DIY cables are the ones that cause this issue, as in, I have heard others who DIYed with your cable and received similar sounds with mine. Is it possible to tell us what solder and plugs you used?

Caused what issue? i have not seen anyone say there is any issues, could you direct me towards these posts.

The solder i use with the SP is Mundorf Supreme, the Jack i like to use are the Viablue, the pins i use on the IEM cables are not available to buy anywhere.

You will find a few people talking about cables i built here also, http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread

May 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 29
Sorry but they are from a Chinese forum. A few people tried this and some gave similar comments about the bass. Perhaps your factory manufactured ones would be better, since there are too many variables in DIY. I just want to know what is the bass supposed to sound like? I mean, it is very textured and detailed, and the extension is alright. The punch of the bass is one of the strongest I've heard. But it seems...disconnected from the mids and highs, if you get what I mean, like the strength is too strong to match the mid and highs.

May 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 29
IEM cables, and only very few, since in China it is difficult to get your cable as there are no retailers. What I remember him saying was "Sounds like a western ATH sound". What are your cables supposed to sound like?

May 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 29
Qu
IEM cables, and only very few, since in China it is difficult to get your cable as there are no retailers. What I remember him saying was "Sounds like a western ATH sound". What are your cables supposed to sound like?

Do you know where they are getting this wire to make these IEM cables because it is not from me and the only source for my wire is myself. There is only a handful of people i have sold  SP wire to, which would be enough to make a headphone or IEM cable, including your purchase on the 12th of April i have had 4 other sales of this wire which would be enough to make a cable over 2ft long and i know who each of those people are, none speak Chinese, every other purchase of this wire is only a few feet.

The SPC and Copper wires are my best sellers as they are cheaper.

I think what the issue here is, is that your friends have been  buying wire from someone claiming to be selling the Silver Poison wire but it is a fake, it might be a good idea to post on that forum that i am the only source for the Silver Poison.

The only sales to Asia apart from your own of the Silver Poison has been, 10ft to someone in Japan, 7ft to someone in Hong Kong and another 4ft to another person in Japan.

May 21, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 29
I see, I'll go pester him about where he got his cable :p 
How many hours do you recommend on these? I have 200+ hours on these and the bass seems tamer, but still unnaturally pronounced. I just want to see if they will return to normal, and if the bass really does affect my listening (which it isn't right now) then I will send it back. If the bass tames a bit then it would be the best cable I've heard. The crystal piccolino smooths over the details too much for me to like them, even though their sound is extremely liquid and smooth. It's really nice of you to offer such services! Thanks!

May 21, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 29
150-200 hours burn in usually does it for me but you could burn it in a little longer and see what happens.

I usually do not offer to build peoples cables for them, unless they are buying a built cable from me. I am very curious about the bass you are describing and i would not mind listening to the cable myself which is why i offered.

Give it a little more burn in and see what happens.

May 21, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 29
I'll see how they are after another week of burn in and listening. The bass I had was very textured and strong. It hits hard and fast, and you can feel the "stretchy-ness" of the bass

May 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 29
Actually what I should described the bass as is a very focused and powerful punch. The bass is all focused into one point, but this made the quality of the bass excellent. The quantity is decent, but there is very little reverb after the impact, which may make the bass sound lean. Just wish the strength of it would be more natural after more listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back