REVIEW: The Frogbeats C4...an explosively good custom in ear monitor....SERIOUSLY!
Nov 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #226 of 253
That's the graph that show the treble bump around 16k on the er-4s and 4b something I wouldn't call neutral.

Just use Klipsch oval tips and that bump is gone. Nothing is perfectly neutral, that has to be accepted as well. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #228 of 253
Couple of observations (again, I use my ears more than anything else and compare them to neutral speakers, of which I have constructed many). I feel measurements to need to be corroborated by subjective observations by trained ears to be useful.

• Most people are not going to hear 16kHz. 14kHz maybe. A bump at 16kHz probably isn't a harmful and will add "air" to most people who are older than 20.
  • IMO, IEM measurements have some issues with resonances inside the couplers in combination with the tube lengths of the IEMs. This is why we typically see two spikes in the treble measurements. I don't necessarily hear these spikes. Personally I don't think any coupling device is accurate above 8-9kHz. Keep in the mind the speaker measurements for neutrality do not consider these resonances and only take the measurement via a mic in free ear. In other words, the human brain / ear mechanism takes the canal resonances and filters them out.
  • To me, the ER-4S sounds on slightly forward side of neutral (a bump in the vocal harmonics region) with some treble energy around 8-9kHz. The bass is acceptable with deep insertion. Still, I prefer to run it with EQ to give it some deeper bass boost and cut the treble a tad to avoid fatigue for length listening sessions.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #229 of 253
Also, I hate threads like this because I read the first glowing post about the product and then as I continue to read the entire thread, the enthusiasm seems to die down and instead turns into a desire to try something else or "the next step up"

I was considering these over 1964ears V6 or AS-2, but now I'm not so sure.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #230 of 253
Quote:

Also, I hate threads like this because I read the first glowing post about the product and then as I continue to read the entire thread, the enthusiasm seems to die down and instead turns into a desire to try something else or "the next step up"

My enthusiasm for the C4 has NOT died down at all. It is still the best IEM I have EVER heard.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #231 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You need to dig deeper or buy and try all.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #232 of 253
Quote:

Not sure where you see the enthusiasm dying down or if you've gone through the whole thread in-depth, but I've only seen two other posters that have already received their C4s, both of which gave favorable impressions to the C4s.

It's still a really new IEM, people who placed their orders shortly after Luis' review still haven't received them (or at least I haven't
redface.gif
).

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #233 of 253
Hey LFF, is that solid black color pictured in your first post not available to general customers? I don't see it in the customization options...

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #237 of 253
Quote:
Instead of the usual peak at 9kHz they have a very steep hi cut filter...
blink.gif

Under important must read notes:

"The IEM measurements coming up may be subject to change. I'm still working on a few things to refine the process. There is one important thing that folks should note: the FR graphs will not extend past 9kHz because that's the point where I feel the measurements will be misleading. The IEM measurement couplers tend to produce their own resonances and peaks between 9-14kHz. Such nonsensical information will not be posted because it only causes more harm than good. Heck, even the documentation on some of the commercial couplers state they are not accurate past a certain point."

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #239 of 253
Quote:
Under important must read notes:

"The IEM measurements coming up may be subject to change. I'm still working on a few things to refine the process. There is one important thing that folks should note: the FR graphs will not extend past 9kHz because that's the point where I feel the measurements will be misleading. The IEM measurement couplers tend to produce their own resonances and peaks between 9-14kHz. Such nonsensical information will not be posted because it only causes more harm than good. Heck, even the documentation on some of the commercial couplers state they are not accurate past a certain point."

Thanks for the clarification. However, on full sized headphones the measurements contain information above 9k and that caused the confusion.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #240 of 253
I will be a first time CIEM buyer, and the reason I am looking into it is because I seem to have a finnicky head. Clamping preasure, headband padding, and pad depth all affect me too much - but with a CIEM I would have none of the issues.

As a first time CIEM hopeful - what can  expect from these out of different devices? (ie: An ipod touch, a laptop, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back