Review: T-Peos H-200 triple driver hybrid IEM
Aug 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Review: T-Peos H-200

I would like to thank Mellow Works Studio for sending me this sample for review, I will write as honest a review possible. These IEM's received over 50hrs burn-in, no big differences were noted.

Gear used:
IPod classic 160gb (rockboxed) > H-200
IPod classic 160gb (rockboxed) > Silver LOD > JDS Labs O2 > H-200

Specs:
Dual balanced armature + 1 dynamic driver hybrid design
Impedance: 22ohm at 1khz
Sensitivity: 105dB at 20khz
Frequency response: 20hz - 20khz
Cable length: 1.2m

Packaging, accessories and build quality:
Packaging is a black hard box with a fairly plain T-Peos H-200 in gold lettering printed on it. This has a magnetic flap that opens, inside you wil, find a T-Peos sticker and the user manual. Underneath the paperwork you will find the IEM's neatly presented in a velvet covered foam insert, with the red foams tips, 6.3 to 3.5mm adapter, carry pouch and extra tips stored similarly. The packaging has a quality feel to it, and I think it is perfectly laid out and easy to open.

Accessories are very good, included you get a leather carry pouch, a cable clip, a 6.3 to 3.5mm adapter, a mic free cable and plenty of tips, grey S, M and L, Sony hybrid type S, M and L, and a pair of red foam tips. Very pleasing array of accessories.

Build quality is good, the housing is mainly metal, the cables are detachable but the connection a could be better I think. The black cable has fabric covering from the jack to the y-split, the cables have good strain relief on the jacks and feel fairly sturdy. The y-split is metal with a chin slider. I have no complaints about the build quality, but they could change the connector for the detachable cables, and also maybe design them with an over-the-ear cable.

Comfort, driver flex and cable noise:
These IEM's are very comfy once you get a good fit. They have an odd piece of plastic that supposedly makes them more comfortable and secure, I found this to be fairly true, it helps distribute the weight and they ended up being one of the comfier IEM's I've had. Some people dislike the H-200 design, but it worked for me. The housing is a little on the heavier side so I did have to adjust them ever now and again.

Driver flex is present, you do sometimes have to reinsert them to get a good seal and correct sound, but the driver flex was not a major problem.

Cable noise wasn't a problem either, I did use the chin slider to take away some of the slack but overall the cable noise doesn't get in the way of musical enjoyment.

Sound:

Lows:
Well as this is a hybrid design you get the dynamic driver delivering hard slamming bass, but not over the top in quantity. The lows deliver some great punch with excellent sub bass rumble. The lows stay well controlled and are quite fast in recovery so they can keep up with faster tracks, they don't overpower the rest of the spectrum, they are north of neutral in quantity, only the most extreme bass heads would complain. They do have a bit more of a mid-bass hump but extend low into the sub-bass with ease. Great quantity with good quality in the lows, fun and enjoyable whilst retaining good separation and detail.

Mids:
The mids sit where they should, in the middle of the mix, they do sometimes appear to be a bit behind the lows but they are well separated due to the hybrid design. The mids are not warmed up by the lows, you get very good presence and detail from the mids. Both male and female vocals fair very well, with them being very clean and clear, guitars have sufficient crunch and power cutting through the mix being easily audible and well presented. I think the positioning and presence of the mids is perfect, they have sufficient body with great detail, and sound quite realistic.

Highs:
This is where I always criticise most, the highs are well presented and I have heard some people say these can be a little aggressive up top. I am going to agree there is a noticeable spike in the treble, and foam tips help tame this but I prefer them normal. As with the rest of the sound they are well separated and very detailed, the crashes and taps of cymbals are well defined, and snares are tight and snappy. The treble spike is located around the upper mids/lower treble which can cause slight sibilance, and give the impression of more detail. Either way the highs are great, with good detail and extension, and subtle spacial queues are easily heard.

Soundstage, imaging and instrument separation:
Soundstage is slightly above average in width and sounds realistic.

Imaging is well portrayed, with spacial queues easily audible and well panned.

Instrument separation is very good as well with good space between everything.

Conclusion: for a hybrid IEM at this price point it is great, in terms of sound and build it punches above its price point. I only think the housing and cable could be slightly better, but even as is they are very good.
They handle most genres well, and are a jack of all trades, they have no major flaws, just a few small ones (sibilance, peaky treble). Aside these small flaws the H-200 are a very detailed but fun IEM and I can highly recommend them.

Sound Perfection Rating: 7.5/10

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)
Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)
We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Http://www.mellowworksstudio.com

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 9
When I eventually get the Dunu DN1000 I will compare them.

The only IEM's I could compare them to are the Shure SE425 which are completely different so not worth comparing to.

Price of the H-200 is $250

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 9
I tried out the H-100 not too long ago and the short experience really impressed me and got rid of all skepticism of hybrids.
Amazing depth and clarity and a very satisfying balance of sparkly highs and the deep lows.
I don't exactly know why I have the skepticism but its gone anyhow.
Too bad the store didn't have the H-200 to compare with.
But I'll find a store that does :wink:
Someone else on head-fi mentioned about the sibilance and high peaks being bothersome but I'll have to check it out for myself.

Liked the H-100 so much really can't wait to try these ones out!
Thx for the review!

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 9
I haven't heard the H-100 but from what everyone says the H-200 is a big upgrade.

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 9
I just got the H-200 in today. At first I was like wow nice packaging with different types of tips and spare cable. Then wow nice build and look. Then I plugged them into my source and ears and WOW!

Amazing clarity. Little bit of sibilance but that's ok. Just wow. For now at least...

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
They get smoother over time
smily_headphones1.gif
happy listening

Oh word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back