[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Aug 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #61 of 911
guys, i just slapped on the velors ....its v comfy, much prefer this to the pleather. 
Only simple mods i did, was angling the pads, and used the ultrasone HFI780 "extention" cable...

now listening tthru my audiogd dac + darkvoice 336se tube = can easily (out)compete with the mid tier akgs/beyers. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #62 of 911
Quote:
guys, i just slapped on the velors ....its v comfy, much prefer this to the pleather. 
Only simple mods i did, was angling the pads, and used the ultrasone HFI780 "extention" cable...

now listening tthru my audiogd dac + darkvoice 336se tube = can easily (out)compete with the mid tier akgs/beyers. 

Which beyers and akgs would you say this outperforms? The k240 and dt770? Or is it even the league of the dt880 and k701

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #63 of 911
The velours are nice. I prefer them.

My left driver stopped working however. Audiohipster refuses to return communication, despite ebay intervening. I'll win too, because they put "2 year warranty" in their listing, and the thing died within 2 weeks. Avoid them.

I'll order direct from China this time, as they actually respond to emails. Hopefully I don't get a second bad pair.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #64 of 911
As it is, i prefer this evo to the akg k702/Q701/K550 in the sense of balance....
i find myself tweaking the akgs ever so often, and there is that nagging spike somewhere that i needed to tame.
In terms of clarity this EVO is up there with the AKGs to my ears.
Soundstagewise, i think the AKGs are like 10/20% better...but i dun find the EVO hemped in too. 
When i first put this EVO on, it reminded me of the AKG K271Mk2, my least problematic akg..haa.
( i am relying on my memory ok... if u have them side by side, by all means confirm what i think :p )

Beyers, hmmmm...never felt the 3 DTs to be superclear, this EVO should pipp them by a little margin.
Soundstagewise, the Beyers are more standoffish...more recessed.
i cant figure out the soundstage of the 990. odd to my ears.

I slipped in to the  sound of the EVO with quite an ease....thats a credit.
lets hope my drivers dun die on me.

tongue_smile.gif

( i have a dead dt770, am v tempted to transfer the evo drivers into the 770shell... not sure if i hav the skills to pull it off...
blink.gif
)

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #65 of 911
hey guys, try taping up the the forward vents on the cups....see how u like it :p
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

s s  s  s  s  u  b BASSss  ?

Ho Ho Ho THIS CAN ROOOOCKKKsss!!!

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #66 of 911
Hahahaaaa, it's funny isn't it? ;D  I advised a friend of mine, to do the same, and he really likes it (He's a basshead).

In terms of clarity / detail and soundstage, my 681-B + Shure Velours even wins against my K400 / 500 /501. Really love this Lux.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #67 of 911
Is the 681=681B?

And did u managed to tease out the bass slamm out of your can?

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #68 of 911
Quote:
Is the 681=681B?

And did u managed to tease out the bass slamm out of your can?

Nope, there are 2 681 by superlux. The 681 (Bassy) , 681-B (Balanced), 681-F (Flat).

I like the 681-B the most, because it has almost the same amount of bass as the normal 681, but the bass iss more defined, punchy and better overall. The seperation and soundstage is also much better and more detailed and the treble iss less harsh.

I tried the Bass mod on my EVO but removed it, because the EVO is already good as it is for me. Sometimes it has even too much bass for me ~ but it's fun with metal ;D

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #69 of 911
Quote:
As it is, i prefer this evo to the akg k702/Q701/K550 in the sense of balance....
i find myself tweaking the akgs ever so often, and there is that nagging spike somewhere that i needed to tame.
In terms of clarity this EVO is up there with the AKGs to my ears.
Soundstagewise, i think the AKGs are like 10/20% better...but i dun find the EVO hemped in too. 
When i first put this EVO on, it reminded me of the AKG K271Mk2, my least problematic akg..haa.
( i am relying on my memory ok... if u have them side by side, by all means confirm what i think :p )

Beyers, hmmmm...never felt the 3 DTs to be superclear, this EVO should pipp them by a little margin.
Soundstagewise, the Beyers are more standoffish...more recessed.
i cant figure out the soundstage of the 990. odd to my ears.

I slipped in to the  sound of the EVO with quite an ease....thats a credit.
lets hope my drivers dun die on me.

tongue_smile.gif

( i have a dead dt770, am v tempted to transfer the evo drivers into the 770shell... not sure if i hav the skills to pull it off...
blink.gif
)

Quote:
Hahahaaaa, it's funny isn't it? ;D  I advised a friend of mine, to do the same, and he really likes it (He's a basshead).

In terms of clarity / detail and soundstage, my 681-B + Shure Velours even wins against my K400 / 500 /501. Really love this Lux.

Glad to know your impression of you guys about the 681 Evo, i dont have the Evo but i have the original 681 and it sounds so great that i dont see my need to buy more expensive can (i auditon quite a lot of). I always felt 681 is just slighty less detail than the bigger can like 701,880,650 but it cant not be that good, my ear must have some problem - i talked to myself,  but now you guy prove that my ears are fine 
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #70 of 911
So what mods should I go through with on my stock 681 evo? I absolutely *love* these things and the only minor complaint I can find for them is that the mids are not engaging. They seem somewhat thin(even though they're completely flat, and smooth). I feel like the bass and treble is just a tad stronger on both sides and that puts the mids in a backseat position

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #71 of 911
in terms of "fulling" out the mids, i doubt this can will ever be a hd650 type...its more AKG-ish. tomyears.
The cable change was the most significant in calming the tension in the sound, i would pick the most copperish cable i can find.
The ultrsone extention cable i had on hand did v well to my ears.
I am listening to EVO on a tube amp, that helped i guess.
If i add more foam over the drivers, that might muffled out the highs more.
If i add a piece of LEATHER to the inside of the cups, that might help? ( think i did that to my denon1100, it made the sound a little more organic.
i cut up an old leather wallet...didnt smell right. hehe
the last thing i could do is to swap the cups for coconutshells.
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #73 of 911
Thanks Lorspeaker. I really am interested in how well these respond to mods. They seemed to be great to my ears and I'm glad you're able to confirm that. Cheers

Quote:
I think we all agree that the 681 EVO performs well above its price point. Hopefully my set with the bad driver was a fluke.

I think so. This is the first time I've ever heard of that problem. Never happened with my pair. I'm guessing build quality might be an issue with some, since they're so cheap and the drivers aint no slouch either.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #74 of 911
If there is a slider-type of cup that would be so cool...like the beyer Custom One Pro, u can open up or close up the vents. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #75 of 911
Clearly my head is the problem with these headphones. I plan on fixing this initially with some Super Glue and maybe some reinforcing.
You can see that the stretching of the headband material has caused some stress and some little tears have started...

http://i.imgur.com/qZ0AOGC.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back