Review: StyleAudio's Carat Emerald dac amp
Nov 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

fenixdown110

Headphoneus Supremus
Well. This is my first dac amp and first review. First time for everything I guess?
smily_headphones1.gif

This arrived through USPS from Craig at Whiplash, the official dealer for StyleAudio's Carat Jewel series dac amps. It was packaged very nicely with a full foam enclosure. Upon plugging this into my PC via usb, the dac amp was immediately recognized by Windows 7. I switched audio to the usb dac via drop down sound menu. I proceeded to open foobar2000/ASIO4ALL and double checked my settings for the 5.1 surround simulation, courtesy of Graphicism(link to settings in my sig). I had lots of crackling and popping in the audio which I figured out to be dirty power. The problem was solved by plugging my PC power supply into my power surge protector/power conditioner. I also switched the usb cable to a heavier duty version one I had lying around just in case. To get started off, it supports up to 16 bit/48k Hz, which is DVD quality. The dac amp can be considered a portable unit since it's so small and doesn't require external power to run. It can be powered by usb alone. It does have a power cord for some extra oomph I guess, but I didn't notice much difference with or without the plug. It only results in sounding just a little bit smoother.

Equipment: Custom PC, Sennheiser HD-650 silver version

Initial thoughts: Keeping in mind that burn in is required to get the most out of the dac amp, I'm not about to get super critical. The amp certainly does make things louder without distortion as higher levels. The volume pot at the 9 o'clock position is at a comfortable listening level. Anything past 12 o'clock is just painful loud. This little dac amp certainly has the power to drive the 300Ω 650's just fine.
smily_headphones1.gif
The highs are much brighter. Sibilance is noticeable and a little hard on the ears. It forced me to place the foam I had removed from the 650's back in. This surprised me since 650's are supposed to have a dark veil. Bass is more pronounced, although not heavy, and definitely not overpowering. The mids are very pronounced and fun to listen to.

2 hours listening/burn in: Everything has started to smooth out. Highs have toned down and sibilance isn't an issue anymore and the 650 veil was more noticeable, so the foam is out again. Bass is even more prominent now, but still not overpowering. Mids have stayed consistent and are very clear.

Afterthoughts: I will have to add more information as this continues to burn in. However, I had no doubt this wouldn't disappoint me. It's made from quality parts and originally retailed for $349.99. I highly recommend this to those who are looking for a first dac amp. There is very little difference between the Emerald and the higher model Topaz($449.99). The only downside is that these opamps are soldered and therefore cannot be rolled. However, the dac is rated very highly and can be paired with a nice tube amp later.

Happy listening!
biggrin.gif

P121109_2340.jpg

P121109_2342.jpg

P121109_2325.jpg

P121109_2327.jpg

P121109_2328.jpg

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 31
Pics added.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 31
As you said, it's a good starting point. I mean few people can run before they can walk. It would be great if you decide to buy something that was 'higher end' and then you can compare it to this. I went back to my STX after 3 weeks of better amps and noticed a difference, though it is not as night and day as one would assume in some tracks.

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 31
Yeah. It's a great starter dac amp. I probably won't let go of it in the future either since it's so small that I can use it as my portable.

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 31
Hey good point. A great work rig that you can take home because people at my work love to take things like my STAPLER though I'm sure they do it to annoy me more than anything else.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 31
I know I won't use these with anything over 300Ω.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll get a tube amp for that.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 31
Nice reading. Sure looks like a great DAC/Amp for a relative small amount of money.
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 31
I recently got a Monster Powerline 200 IEC power cord and Monster home theater usb cable. They cleaned up the signal even better and increased mids and soundstage to an extent. I've burned in the unit for more than 50 hours now and it's about the same as the 2 hour burn in with more transparency.

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 31
I'm working up to it. 50 hours was just a rash estimate. I think it's much more than that, but probably not quite to 100 hours yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back