REVIEW: SoundMagic HP200
May 13, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #76 of 106
They are not bad at all. The highs can be a little piercing/fatiguing...I put on the shure alcantara pads, they do help with that. Honestly I haven't heard my HP 200's in at least a year or two. Maybe I'll throw them in the mix soon
smily_headphones1.gif
Glad to see you are enjoying them.

I would prefer to get some thicker ear pads for the HP200, to keep my ears from touching the HP200 cup's inner felt liner.
Would assume the Shure Alcantara pads are helpful in that area?

May 13, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #77 of 106
I would prefer to get some thicker ear pads for the HP200, to keep my ears from touching the HP200 cup's inner felt liner.
Would assume the Shure Alcantara pads are helpful in that area?

Hmm. Don't have them in front of me now to compare but they are thicker, not monumentally so, but are thicker. They are pretty pricy too, $40 if I remember. But are a fairly universal size and shape and can fit several different headphones... Just in case the price was a concern. If you need me to snap a picture for comparison I can, I'm just not at home right now.

May 13, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #78 of 106
Hmm. Don't have them in front of me now to compare but they are thicker, not monumentally so, but are thicker. They are pretty pricey too, $40 if I remember. But are a fairly universal size and shape and can fit several different headphones... Just in case the price was a concern. If you need me to snap a picture for comparison I can, I'm just not at home right now.

Price ($40) is not a big deal, but want something that is a good bang for the buck and does not degrade the audio quality.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #85 of 106
Hi guys, I'm looking for a pair of open back cans and I'm considering these HP200 (at 180 Euros) and the HD600 (at 300 Euros).
I've read mostly good reviews about the HP200 until this one. The reviewer not only disliked them completely but also claimed that they are actually not open and the soundstage is very narrow.
This is my main concern because I don't want another pair of closed headphones.

What's your experience with the HP200? Did you have the chance to compare them to other open back headphones like the HD600 or the fidelio X2 (which I previously own)?

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #86 of 106
  Hi guys, I'm looking for a pair of open back cans and I'm considering these HP200 (at 180 Euros) and the HD600 (at 300 Euros).
I've read mostly good reviews about the HP200 until this one. The reviewer not only disliked them completely but also claimed that they are actually not open and the sound stage is very narrow.
What's your experience with the HP200? Did you have the chance to compare them to other open back headphones like the HD600 or the Fidelio X2 (which I previously own)?

I looked at some of the reviewers other videos
He starts drinking at 9:30AM in the morning.
I think he is big on vocals, where as the HP200 is more of a bass/treble headphone (slightly U shaped sound), but to me the HP200 mids are just fine the way they are.
He does not like the Beyer T90, which is normally my preferred headphone (and I've bought about 30 headphones in the past 5 years).
I bought the HP200 a few months back and I think there are among best you could get for under $200
The HP200 are open, just not very open

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #87 of 106
I've read mostly good reviews about the HP200 until this one. The reviewer not only disliked them completely but also claimed that they are actually not open and the soundstage is very narrow.

What's your experience with the HP200? Did you have the chance to compare them to other open back headphones like the HD600 or the fidelio X2 (which I previously own)?

I own the Soundmagic HP200 and the following competing models: AKG Q701 (with reversible bass mod), Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (250 Ohm), Sennheiser HD598, Audio-Technica AD700, and Philips SHP9500.   I listen mainly to classical music, jazz, and West African (Mali and Senegal) music. My source is usually a CD played on a laptop or desktop computer through an AudioQuest Dragonfly (v1.0) and an O2 amplifier.  The HP200 is a fine headphone, but I prefer the AKG Q701 and DT880 by far over the HP200.  The HP200 does not come out first in any two-way comparison with the other headphones I listed above. I still own the HP200 but do not use it.  I do not recommend the HP200. Of course, this is only my personal opinion. I have very limited experience with the Sennheiser HD600 and no experience at all with the Fidelio X2.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #88 of 106

I looked at some of the reviewers other videos
He starts drinking at 9:30AM in the morning.
I think he is big on vocals, where as the HP200 is more of a bass/treble headphone (slightly U shaped sound), but to me the HP200 mids are just fine the way they are.
He does not like the Beyer T90, which is normally my preferred headphone (and I've bought about 30 headphones in the past 5 years).
I bought the HP200 a few months back and I think there are among best you could get for under $200
The HP200 are open, just not very open

He doesn't seem very reliable, but I wanted to clear up any doubts about this issue that he brought up.

I like both bass and treble, so the U (or V) shaped sound it's not a problem for me. In fact, I'm one of the few owners of the Panasonic HD10 that many didn't like because of its sparkling treble. What I don't like is the veiled relaxed sound, the kind that the Fidelio X2 have. I was impressed by their amazing soundstage, but the highs and mids weren't exciting and missed that "live" sound that I like.  

I own the Soundmagic HP200 and the following competing models: AKG Q701 (with reversible bass mod), Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (250 Ohm), Sennheiser HD598, Audio-Technica AD700, and Philips SHP9500.   I listen mainly to classical music, jazz, and West African (Mali and Senegal) music. My source is usually a CD played on a laptop or desktop computer through an AudioQuest Dragonfly (v1.0) and an O2 amplifier.  The HP200 is a fine headphone, but I prefer the AKG Q701 and DT880 by far over the HP200.  The HP200 does not come out first in any two-way comparison with the other headphones I listed above. I still own the HP200 but do not use it.  I do not recommend the HP200. Of course, this is only my personal opinion. I have very limited experience with the Sennheiser HD600 and no experience at all with the Fidelio X2.

I considered both the AKG Q701 and the DT880. But I usually listen to pop, alternative, R&B/Hip-Hop and electronic music. 

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #89 of 106
  He doesn't seem very reliable, but I wanted to clear up any doubts about this issue that he brought up.
I like both bass and treble, so the U (or V) shaped sound it's not a problem for me. In fact, I'm one of the few owners of the Panasonic HD10 that many didn't like because of its sparkling treble. What I don't like is the veiled relaxed sound, the kind that the Fidelio X2 have. I was impressed by their amazing sound stage, but the highs and mids weren't exciting and missed that "live" sound that I like.  
I considered both the AKG Q701 and the DT880. But I usually listen to pop, alternative, R&B/Hip-Hop and electronic music. 

AKG 700 series the DT880 really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
The HP200 are less power demanding.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #90 of 106

AKG 700 series the DT880 really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
The HP200 are less power demanding.

I have the audioengine D1 and the creative E5. Both should be able to drive them, but I don't know if they're a good match though.
I know that the AKG 700 are hard to amp and that's why I didn't consider them for my choice. 
I'm a bit conflicted about the DT880. I read that they sound dry/harsh and the treble is peaky. As I said before, I don't mind treble as long as it's not too much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back