Review: Sony D-50 (Sony's First!)
Mar 9, 2003 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Peddler

1000+ Head-Fier
Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Sony D-50 Discman

I have been an avid portable stereo user for many years now - virtually since the introduction of the first Walkman tape players. I'm surprised that I have not damaged my hearing with all the headphone listening over the years.

d-50-2.jpg

I have also gone through a fair share of Discman players over the years. Sadly at the time I didn't really appreciate just what the older players offered in terms of sound quality rather that portability. In all fairness at the time there was a need for a player that could play in my pocket not just when sat on a table.

d-50-3.jpg

The D-50 was the first Discman Sony produced and boy you can tell. This thing is built like a tank. Like all the vintage player of that era, there is no way you can realistically carry this thing around with you. It is definitely designed to be used as a table top player.

d-50-1.jpg

Once you get over the size and weight of the thing. The first thing you notice is the quality of the buttons. They remind me of the type of buttons found on B & O equipment. Controls on the player are minimalist to say the least. No programming or Mega-bass settings - just track skip and volume. When you stop and think about it that is all you need.

Sound Quality

This player is AMAZING. The volume is awesome. The first time I tried out the thing I was using Etymotics and had the player on full volume and I very nearly lost control of my bowels. The volume is far higher than that of the Airhead - and that's loud!

You should bear in mind that this is a first-generation player and so can lack a degree of control in the top end when used with the Ety's. I wouldn’t describe the treble as harsh – perhaps a little more forward than I’m used to. However, when you plug in the KSC-35's or the Porta-Pros and it is a very different story. It's a well known fact in these forums that the Koss benefit from being driven hard and this player can certainly do that – no problem.

The player exhibits a wonderful silence when playing – there’s no doubt that Sony really wanted to show just what Compact Disc was capable of. I suspect that the electronics in this unit are really top-notch stuff – considering the age of this machine I was very surprised to see that there’s no noise on the volume pot and the buttons didn’t stick. This player has been really looked after.

I’m old enough to remember clearly the days before Compact Disc. I can remember clearly when the format was released onto the market and can also remember just how bad my Yamaha CDX1 player sounded when compared to my vinyl source. I remember trying my hardest to like the sound coming out of the player and not being able to adjust to the harshness that seemed to present in every recording. I strongly suspect that if my first player had been this Sony, my opinion of Compact Disc would have changed significantly.

Mar 9, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Peddler
The first time I tried out the thing I was using Etymotics and had the player on full volume and I very nearly lost control of my bowels. The volume is far higher than that of the Airhead - and that's loud!

I thought you would have lost your eardrums!
biggrin.gif

Great review, nice pictures, that D-50 is indeed in a very good state. The comments about the audio quality sound really good.

You do realize, ofcourse, that you've just driven up the price of these things
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 11
Nice review. Did you score the unit off eBay?

Is there a line out?

Mar 9, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 11
The Sony D-50 was my first CD unit and propelled me into the digital age of music. I remember shopping around for disc's to play on my new baby and in Tyler, TX..., it was like trying to find the fountain of youth. Finally, I made a few trips to Dallas and managed to start my CD collection (which is way out of control now).

I remember being totally "wiped out" buy the sound and the lack of the "pops and ticks" that my analog system rendered. I ended up leaving this unit with an ex-wife...<sniff>...

I know she never appreciated the sound like I did, and regret the move till this day.

What a wonderful piece of new technology this was!

Mar 9, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 11
Still got mine. But in a fit of housecleaning, i threw away the big portable battery pack the thing went into. Duh.

Mar 10, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Swapped some computer equipment with a friend for it. I had borrowed it some time ago and so had a good idea of the sound quality. I'm currently waiting for a Sony 555 to do some comparisons - chances are one of the two is going to go in the fullness of time. I will keep you all posted.

I don't have the battery pack with the machine - just the 240v mains (ac) pack. FYI - the unit appears to play CDR's no problem and so far I have not had it skip on me (due to bad discs that is - not jogging).
tongue.gif

The player has no line out, digital out, tone controls, megabass or programming - just a really simple player - kinda cool.

I can't get over how good it sounds with the Koss phones. I would say that this player could pretty much drive anything and appears to stay clean when it goes loud.

Can't wait to hear the 555 and do some comparisons - full showdown pending!!!

Mar 10, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by screwdriver
is this the same model as a Sony D5 ?

if it is - there is 1 for sale here at the forum :

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=15000

Keith has been gone for months now.. don't bother PM-ing or messaging him.

Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
You do realize, ofcourse, that you've just driven up the price of these things

Good. I've got one I'm trying to get rid of, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Sure looks like my 1985 D5. The first I ever bought, when the record shops had only one display of CDs, neary all Telarc. Mine is still in use, connected to my amp. No repairs, no glitches, built like a brick outhouse.

Mar 10, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Good. I've got one I'm trying to get rid of, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh
biggrin.gif

I see we're now going to make our 'team broke' avatars look freaky
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Peddler
The player has no line out, digital out, tone controls, megabass or programming - just a really simple player - kinda cool.

Just to confirm... the D50 does have a line out... jack plug if you use a cabled 9v adapter, or RCA if you use the mains 'pack'
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back