Review: Sony D-25S Portable CD Player (LONG)
Dec 11, 2001 at 9:23 PM Post #31 of 107
I went ahead and ordered a D-25S from the salvage folks for the "buy it now" price of $45.00. I already have 4 other PCDPs (Panasonic SL-NP1, Sony D-EJ616, Radio Shack 3904, and Panasonic SL-CT570) - but I am not satisfied with the sound I get with my Grado SR-80s from any of those players without an amp. I have been using the SL-NP1 mainly because it has the best all around sound (the Radio Shack and CT570 are too bright and the DEJ616 lacks clarity).

I am hopeful that the D-25S will give me an upgrade in the sound quality of my daily listening system.

What I miss most about using a Sony PCDP is the amazing sound of cymbals that you get with Sonys. I listen to almost all jazz and the sound of cymbals on Sonys is amazing. As deficient as the DEJ616 is in other respects - the cymbals sound absolutely amazing on them and neither the Panasonics or the Rat Shack come close to replicating that great cymbal sound.

I'm looking forward to trying out the D-25S when I get it sometime in the next week.

Dec 11, 2001 at 9:55 PM Post #32 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Milestones
What I miss most about using a Sony PCDP is the amazing sound of cymbals that you get with Sonys. I listen to almost all jazz and the sound of cymbals on Sonys is amazing. As deficient as the DEJ616 is in other respects - the cymbals sound absolutely amazing on them and neither the Panasonics or the Rat Shack come close to replicating that great cymbal sound.

I specifically mentioned the sound of cymbal taps in my review because I was so in awe of them. I have an old Sony D-211 portable (actually, it's a newer design than the D-25S -- it's one of Sony's first models that came with a 1-bit DAC). Cymbals don't sound as good with it as they do with the D-25S. I don't know if maybe they 'fixed' their later 1-bit DACs to make cymbals sound as nice as they do on the D-25S.

Dec 12, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #33 of 107
Hey Russ, can you let me know the specific model# on the ac adapter and where did you find the manual? I appredciate it!

George

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:28 AM Post #34 of 107
No problem. It's RadioShack cat. no. 273-1770. Just look for a white AC adapter that's rated 9V and 800 mA. They come with a generic radio shack end; you have to pick an adapta-plug to go with it. The "M" plug works fine. Make sure you get the polarity right when you attach the end to the adapter.

You can get the manual and the BP-2EX rechargeable battery from sony parts ordering. I don't have a manual, since I forgot to order it with the battery.

Dec 12, 2001 at 6:36 PM Post #35 of 107
Russ,

Thanks for the awesome review. It basically compelled me to buy a unit. So when I got into work today I bid and won at $45.00 one of these units. Silicon Salvage is easy to work with. The unit is currently being shipped out to me.

Can't wait to get it.

evil_smiley.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 11:40 PM Post #36 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
No problem. It's RadioShack cat. no. 273-1770. Just look for a white AC adapter that's rated 9V and 800 mA. They come with a generic radio shack end; you have to pick an adapta-plug to go with it. The "M" plug works fine. Make sure you get the polarity right when you attach the end to the adapter.

You can get the manual and the BP-2EX rechargeable battery from sony parts ordering. I don't have a manual, since I forgot to order it with the battery.

Thanks for the info on the ac adapter, i'm gonna go out tomorrow and grab it, i just ordered the battery from Sony's site, cant wait to have this little wonder in my hands!

George

ps. i couldnt find any listings for manuals
confused.gif

Dec 13, 2001 at 12:22 AM Post #37 of 107
I also am waiting for mine to arrive. Great review!

I picked up a different 9V AC adapter from Radio Shack: #272-1771, for $23. It's a compact model that works with 100 to 240 VAC, so it can be used overseas, and accepts the same "adaptaplug" as the other standard one. The reason for spending the extra $9 is that it's 1/3 the weight and about 1/3 the size, the AC plug folds, plus it puts out up to 1500 mA current. Much easier to carry between home and office, or wherever you go. They also make other similar adapters for other voltages.

I ordered the D-25 manual from Sony along with the battery, and if it isn't too long I'll scan it and be able to send copies by e-mail or photocopies by snail mail to anyone who wants one. I'll post a follow up when I get it.

Dec 13, 2001 at 12:25 AM Post #38 of 107
Is the AC adapter plug polarity marked on the case? I can't tell from the pictures. Tip positive or tip negative?

Dec 13, 2001 at 12:59 AM Post #39 of 107
I believe it's tip negative, but I don't have it in front of me to check. There's a small diagram on the back of the player near the adapter input, so once yours arrives, you can check it.

It turns out the worm gear still has plenty of good lubricant on it, even after 9 years. The stepper motor in mine is simply a bit loud when "rewinding" (returning to center). So you don't have to count on getting it lubed as soon as you get it. I will be updating the review soon with this (and other) info.

Dec 13, 2001 at 3:30 PM Post #41 of 107
Is there any hiss or background noise with this model? I have an old RCA CD player that looks kinda like this player that I purchased at least 10 years ago for $100. It's a great player with no skip protection so it's not really portable. It is the loudest CDP I've ever had but has a lot of background hiss. I haven't heard any other player that is as loud or as good sounding without an amp. I will try to take some pics of it.

Dec 13, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #42 of 107
This thread inspired my digging through some basement cartons to find my old Sony D-5. (This also gives some indication of my age.) I plugged my 580s into the jack and gave a listen to some Patricia Barber. The headphone amp in this old unit could burst your eardrums, and with plenty of taut bass.

Just when I was getting used to listening to MP3s!

Dec 13, 2001 at 11:50 PM Post #43 of 107
I think that the third or fourth generation of a new product is often the best one, esp. in fields like audio. The first is a toe-dip-in-water, then they improve and fix things to get market share by making a quality product that gets good reviews and response by people who are willing to pay money for something good. Then come bells and whistles for mass marketing, multiple products for many price points, and quality goes to hell while profit margins increase.

Not always, but often enough.

Look at cassette-playing walkmans to see the whole product cycle, for example. Same thing with CD players. Next, minidiscs and MP3 players? Or has it started already....

Dec 15, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #45 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Does this unit read CDRs ok?

It reads CD-Rs just fine. I have not tried CD-RWs (and do not have any to try).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back