[REVIEW] Sennheiser HD25-1 II vs Sennheiser Amperior: Comparison Review
Jun 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 50
Hi Pedro., fresh ears this morning. I listened to many of the same recordings as previous.

The HD-25 benefited from amplification, helped make the sound more cohesive and gave some authority to the low-end. Still powered from the iPhone 4s it was fine. The Amperior did sound great, especially on the classical pieces. I walked through downtown with the Amperiors after doing some listening at home. They isolate well enough, even with velour pads. My impressions are still the same as before with these headphones, but the Amperiors we're not as offensive, they are still bright, and voices may even be a bit sibilant.

I think I would have to do quite a bit more listening, as a the Rachmaninov piece sounded excellent out of the Amperior and that is very well recorded.

So the Amperior is an upgrade in technicalities - high end, low end, imaging, but the HD-25 has a great tonal quality and a more neutral balance. I could see how some could see the Amperior as a side grade, or even downgrade if the signature didn't suit them.

The Amperior is punchier on electronic music, but the HD-25 still performs well. Also, I'm on the go a lot, and I like the portability of the Amperior and even working at my desk I can take incoming calls with no fuss.

If you decide to keep your HD-25 you are not worse off. It may just make you appreciate different forms of music more and likewise same with the Amperior.

Anyhow, I'm still impressed with the HD25, it's a true classic.

I know a couple of users here on head fi who sold the amperior and kept their hd25's.... main reasons are usually because they think the amperiors sound even more agressive, specially on the mids. This is a bit odd... from a couple of reviews the amperiors seem to be a more laidback and better hd25, but on the other hand, there are some reviews that indeed say the amperiors are even more agressive and some do not like this at all.

I am in a dilemma.... maybe i will get the amperior but i want a 32 ohm dt770 too.... maybe i will choose between both of them, sell the one i dont like so much and maybe use the money for the beyers.... on the worst case scenario.... i keep both sennheisers.... after all my hd25 only costed me 70 euros in mint condition and still today i wet my paints for such a glorious deal.... XD

...No box, and they are a the basic edition eith no velour pads neither bag, but still, it was a mighty deal..... :)

(the kid who sold them to me was a 16 year old beggining dj who wanted too sell them to get 300 euro beats..... :O )

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #17 of 50
  I know a couple of users here on head fi who sold the amperior and kept their hd25's.... main reasons are usually because they think the amperiors sound even more agressive, specially on the mids. This is a bit odd... from a couple of reviews the amperiors seem to be a more laidback and better hd25, but on the other hand, there are some reviews that indeed say the amperiors are even more agressive and some do not like this at all.

I am in a dilemma.... maybe i will get the amperior but i want a 32 ohm dt770 too.... maybe i will choose between both of them, sell the one i dont like so much and maybe use the money for the beyers.... on the worst case scenario.... i keep both sennheisers.... after all my hd25 only costed me 70 euros in mint condition and still today i wet my paints for such a glorious deal.... XD

...No box, and they are a the basic edition eith no velour pads neither bag, but still, it was a mighty deal..... :)

(the kid who sold them to me was a 16 year old beggining dj who wanted too sell them to get 300 euro beats..... :O )

The Amperior is more a 'v-shape' signature than the HD-25. The highs and bass are more accented. So I'm not sure how the mid-range can be said to be more aggressive. To me the HD-25 are more forward in the mids, but it sounds appropriate and more balanced. The amperior, can be seen as laidback I guess at lower volumes, as you'll still be able to hear the highs and bass clearly, and since our ears pick out mid-range easier at lower volumes, it can be fairly pleasant listening. 

You got a good deal on the HD-25. Yup, if you don't mind a bit of hassle of selling, then you can check out the Amperior and see if you like them. You already know you like the HD-25, but it sounds like you just want to get the best offered by the Sennheiser on-ear line-up - the best being what works for you. 

Certainly the Amperior and HD-25 are quite different sound signatures. I was surprised reading some people saying they sound similar. If they had a different casing, people would have seen it as a completely different headphone. 

I think Sennheiser, from a brand perspective made the right choice sticking with the HD-25 Aluminum. I will have to try one out. I guess I can always put my HD-25 drivers in the Amperior.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #18 of 50
The Amperior is more a 'v-shape' signature than the HD-25. The highs and bass are more accented. So I'm not sure how the mid-range can be said to be more aggressive. To me the HD-25 are more forward in the mids, but it sounds appropriate and more balanced. The amperior, can be seen as laidback I guess at lower volumes, as you'll still be able to hear the highs and bass clearly, and since our ears pick out mid-range easier at lower volumes, it can be fairly pleasant listening. 

You got a good deal on the HD-25. Yup, if you don't mind a bit of hassle of selling, then you can check out the Amperior and see if you like them. You already know you like the HD-25, but it sounds like you just want to get the best offered by the Sennheiser on-ear line-up - the best being what works for you. 

Certainly the Amperior and HD-25 are quite different sound signatures. I was surprised reading some people saying they sound similar. If they had a different casing, people would have seen it as a completely different headphone. 

I think Sennheiser, from a brand perspective made the right choice sticking with the HD-25 Aluminum. I will have to try one out. I guess I can always put my HD-25 drivers in the Amperior.

If the cups of the amperior are filled with the original hd25 drivers, if you also replace the cable for the original hd25 and if you order the pleather pads form the hd25 alu..... Am i wrong or is that a entire hd25 alu???? :-D basically you are just missing the pads and the hd25 logo on the headband. Now that i think about, maybe the hd25 alu is indeed a try from sennheiser to maybe use too many material they had for the amperiors.... Besides the pads, all the hd25 alu parts are either from the original hd35 or the amperiors....

You just need the pads basically.... :-D

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #19 of 50
Hi,
I will buy a new pair of headphones in a little while. I researched a lot about the both headphones, the amperior and hd 25, but a can't decide myself which I will buy. 
My question is, the isolation it's the same on both? I really like all kinds of musics, but I prefer electronics and rock.
Thx :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 50
Hi,

I will buy a new pair of headphones in a little while. I researched a lot about the both headphones, the amperior and hd 25, but a can't decide myself which I will buy. 

My question is, the isolation it's the same on both? I really like all kinds of musics, but I prefer electronics and rock.

Thx :)
Both have great qualities and similar isolation.

I find the Amperior a bit more comfortable. My HD-25 are now my beaters and DJ cans. It's a bit of a tough choice, basically the Amperior has a more pronounced and refined high-end. I really like it and it brings excellent detail especially to high end recordings. The Amperior also has abit more bass emphasis. The HD-25 has a really good tonal balance, and it presents itself so well.

You can't go wrong with either so if you get a really good price go for it. I'd lean towards the Amperior, or HD-25 Aluminum.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #21 of 50
Both have great qualities and similar isolation.

I find the Amperior a bit more comfortable. My HD-25 are now my beaters and DJ cans. It's a bit of a tough choice, basically the Amperior has a more pronounced and refined high-end. I really like it and it brings excellent detail especially to high end recordings. The Amperior also has abit more bass emphasis. The HD-25 has a really good tonal balance, and it presents itself so well.

You can't go wrong with either so if you get a really good price go for it. I'd lean towards the Amperior, or HD-25 Aluminum.

Thx Malfunkt.
I'm from Brazil, and my girlfriend will pass some time in USA, so she will bring their to me.
In my country they are so much expensive, HD 25 are $750, that is the reason of my deep research. 
The sound quality without an amp are best in amperior than HD25?
Thx again :) 

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 50
Thx Malfunkt.

I'm from Brazil, and my girlfriend will pass some time in USA, so she will bring their to me.

In my country they are so much expensive, HD 25 are $750, that is the reason of my deep research. 

The sound quality without an amp are best in amperior than HD25?

Thx again :) 

The Amperior is designed to work without an amp. The HD-25 still sounds very good without an amp (say out of an iPhone 4s) and improves a bit with amping.

The Amperior also can do voice calls (iPhone) not sure if that is important. I find it pretty useful, the mic quality is quite good.

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #23 of 50
Clamping force on the amperiors is the same as on the 25's?

I know the velour pads will be more comfortbale, but being velour does not the bass sound less full bodied than the bass on the hd25's with the pleather pads? Isnt the isolation better on the hd25's with the pleather pads?

So basically do you think the trade is worth it? What are the gains in terms of sound quality? Confort?

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 50
[COLOR=404040]Clamping force on the amperiors is the same as on the 25's?[/COLOR][COLOR=404040]
[/COLOR][COLOR=404040] [/COLOR][COLOR=404040]
[/COLOR][COLOR=404040]I know the velour pads will be more comfortbale, but being velour does not the bass sound less full bodied than the bass on the hd25's with the pleather pads? Isnt the isolation better on the hd25's with the pleather pads?[/COLOR][COLOR=404040]
[/COLOR][COLOR=404040] [/COLOR][COLOR=404040]
[/COLOR][COLOR=404040]So basically do you think the trade is worth it? What are the gains in terms of sound quality? Confort?[/COLOR]
. Clamping force was initially high with the Amperiors, but it became quite comfortable. Yes, the velour pads are quite comfy. The Amperior has a snug fit once it is broken in. Would say a few days use is all it really takes.

I see newegg.com is having really good deal on the Amperiors

the frequency curve of the Amperior is more v-shaped than the HD-25. So the bass is accented. The HD-25 has a more neutral presentation and is more forward in the mid range. I used the HD-25 with aftermarket pleather pads (ordered from China on eBay) and they isolate better than the velour. The velour still isolate well enough however. Amperior with the same pleather pads is almost too bassy.

Amperior has more bass with velour pads than the HD-25 using pleather pads.

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #25 of 50
Hey guys,
all good posts and I agree with most of them

had my amperior's for a couple of weeks now, I am a fulltime DJ - producer - engineer..

some person nicked my old HD25's that ive had for 10 years so a got a new pair, then saw a a pair of amperior's for sale at 1/2 price so I had to buy them..

from a dj point of view the amperiors win for mixing (dj'n) tunes as the sound in general mainly in the mids-midhighs & highs have much more 3d depth, attack and sound more transient (faster) than the HD25's.. and they sound more dynamic (test massive attack protection)
in a club setting obviously the stupid stupid cable had to go!!!! but a HD25 coiled cable has sorted that out..
I find I can mix at a slightly lower volume cos I can pick out the top end better, it is nice having more air waves downstairs, but not so much  they become muddy.. killer noise reduction as per, better than the vinylish old ones and dont seem to get as sweatty... more comfy too..

they are definatly not flat? what headphones are? (i rta'd them and the hd25 og's r flatter) but they sound nicer to me to listen and to dj with but i will stick to my og hd25's for testing mixes or working on the road..4k to 8k sounds way better to me..

but as a dj these amperior's made dj'n more enjoyable, easier..

hope this helps out a few dj's..

peace

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #28 of 50
. Clamping force was initially high with the Amperiors, but it became quite comfortable. Yes, the velour pads are quite comfy. The Amperior has a snug fit once it is broken in. Would say a few days use is all it really takes.

I see newegg.com is having really good deal on the Amperiors

the frequency curve of the Amperior is more v-shaped than the HD-25. So the bass is accented. The HD-25 has a more neutral presentation and is more forward in the mid range. I used the HD-25 with aftermarket pleather pads (ordered from China on eBay) and they isolate better than the velour. The velour still isolate well enough however. Amperior with the same pleather pads is almost too bassy.

Amperior has more bass with velour pads than the HD-25 using pleather pads.

Got the amperiors Malfunkt.... :)

ALthough amazon screwed up and sent a "like new" unit with only the the idevice cable..... 

First of all i want to express my eternal gratitude to moriez.... its because of him i have my amperiors in the first place.... no one nowadays does what he did for me.... he's an angel....

How do they sound..... ?:)

AMAZING!!!!!!

Actually my first thought after taking them out of the box was, i was going to sell my hd25's.... XD

The amperiors are heavier but i like the heavy feeling when compared to the super lightweight hd25.... aluminium cups feel super solid.... also the headband padding is much nicer than on my hd25's.... on my hd25's you can clearly see its a piece of pleatherette glued to the headband... on the amperior the headband padding is perfectly glued....
The blue ones must be very nice as well....

When it come to the sound.... compared to my hd25 (both conected to my 4th gen ipod touch) the amperior sound indeed fuller.... they still dont have much soundstage but it definitly feels a bit less confined wich is always nice.... but the main differences are.... sound on the amperior is fuller and a bit clearer. People say the hd25 are basically the same, with an amp maybe but conected to my ipod the amperior sound clearly fuller, bass seems to go geeper (although i think with burn in bass will get better, maybe i am being picky or maybe its because of the clearer sound and deeper bass but some tracks seems to be a bit boomier.... but it can also be from the tracks quality since a clearer sound reveals more flaws). Highs are not as dry sounding and sound a bit more controlled while maintaining the amazing extension.

But to me there are 3 things in sound that pop out (compared to the hd25)..... deeper and fuller bass (and overall sound), the vocals seems a bit more forward wich eads me to agree with roma101, the amperior feels a bit more midcentric as well, the vocals feel more forward and more natural (he didnt like this but i do... he thought the vocals sounded more natural and less agressive on the hd25), highs are more controlled and nicer overall.... :)

I am liking..... :) A LOT!!!!!

But i am still going to decide if i keep the hd25's or not...

Edit: Meanwhile i have been listening to biffy clyro and i am going to give credit to triple x on his assumptions.... the extra and more agressive treble on the hd25 seems to be the better for faster rock.... I'll keep updating my impressions.... Let's burn in for some hours.... 

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #29 of 50
hi guys in case anyone is interested again with the momentums and amperiors and Momentum on ear comparison i made a thread about my comparison between the three.

this thread is to answer any and all questions regarding the three top of the line portable headphones in its entirety (sound, build, isolation etc) and to compare them with each other as well. 

i hope to see you there!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/731384/review-the-best-sennheiser-portable-headphones-compared-momentums-over-ears-amperiors-and-momentum-on-ears

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #30 of 50
  Got the amperiors Malfunkt.... :)

ALthough amazon screwed up and sent a "like new" unit with only the the idevice cable..... 

First of all i want to express my eternal gratitude to moriez.... its because of him i have my amperiors in the first place.... no one nowadays does what he did for me.... he's an angel....

How do they sound..... ?:)

AMAZING!!!!!!

Actually my first thought after taking them out of the box was, i was going to sell my hd25's.... XD

The amperiors are heavier but i like the heavy feeling when compared to the super lightweight hd25.... aluminium cups feel super solid.... also the headband padding is much nicer than on my hd25's.... on my hd25's you can clearly see its a piece of pleatherette glued to the headband... on the amperior the headband padding is perfectly glued....
The blue ones must be very nice as well....

When it come to the sound.... compared to my hd25 (both conected to my 4th gen ipod touch) the amperior sound indeed fuller.... they still dont have much soundstage but it definitly feels a bit less confined wich is always nice.... but the main differences are.... sound on the amperior is fuller and a bit clearer. People say the hd25 are basically the same, with an amp maybe but conected to my ipod the amperior sound clearly fuller, bass seems to go geeper (although i think with burn in bass will get better, maybe i am being picky or maybe its because of the clearer sound and deeper bass but some tracks seems to be a bit boomier.... but it can also be from the tracks quality since a clearer sound reveals more flaws). Highs are not as dry sounding and sound a bit more controlled while maintaining the amazing extension.

But to me there are 3 things in sound that pop out (compared to the hd25)..... deeper and fuller bass (and overall sound), the vocals seems a bit more forward wich eads me to agree with roma101, the amperior feels a bit more midcentric as well, the vocals feel more forward and more natural (he didnt like this but i do... he thought the vocals sounded more natural and less agressive on the hd25), highs are more controlled and nicer overall.... :)

I am liking..... :) A LOT!!!!!

But i am still going to decide if i keep the hd25's or not...

Edit: Meanwhile i have been listening to biffy clyro and i am going to give credit to triple x on his assumptions.... the extra and more agressive treble on the hd25 seems to be the better for faster rock.... I'll keep updating my impressions.... Let's burn in for some hours.... 

did you try playing around with the different earpads to see the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back