REVIEW: Red Wine Audio “Audeze Edition” balanced Headphone Amplifier – DAC combo
Sep 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 119

Quote:
I do not...but I do know YYZ is Toronto Pearson Airport's 3 letter code
biggrin.gif

Impressive...you are correct sir on YYZ.
smile.gif

BTW, the building is the Ontario Legislature in downtown Toronto.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #17 of 119
A note on the AE vs. WA22.

Thanks Skylab for the review. While I haven't personally heard the AE yet (though I do have one on order, to be delivered early next week), I have a WA22 that sounds a bit, well, different from the WA22 consensus. When I say different than the consensus, I mean I have listened to the WA22 using most tube configurations on this forum. I have always felt it to be ever so slightly lacking in precision and definition, however at this expense came a tremendously musical, euphonic sound. I have rolled, and rolled, and ultimately found what in my opinion gives the WA22 that last level of performance - EML 5U4G, TS BGRP and TS 5998, while retaining the tube friendliness without any trace of bloat. I must say I'm deeply impressed how it sounds with a well burned in configuration like this. It is fed from a Wyred DAC-2, as a frame of reference.

Having said this, I was intrigued in the AE right from the beginning, and decided that reviews notwithstanding, the only reasonable way to eliminate doubt is to buy one and try it out. I was a bit taken back by the lack of analog inputs, but I reasoned the shorter signal path from its internal DAC should play in my favor - I have an open mind, and no preconceived notions. If the AE sounds like RWA boldly claims, it will be a keeper, and the FS forums willl see the face of my WA22. If, however, the WA22, using my tube config bests the AE, I will sleep easy knowing I'm still able to make an educated guess as to what something should sound like :)

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 119
I will be interested to read your thoughts. I actually just decided to sell my WA22 and buy the AE :D

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #19 of 119
Great review, I think you just convinced me to get a fully upgraded Isabellina, which if I'm not mistaken is basically the same as the Audeze Edition without the red knob.

Anyway, I really appreciate your thoughts and they cleared a lot of things up for me.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 119
Skylab, thanx for the great review !
I enjoyed it a lot...

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 119
I'll post my impressions once I receive it and after I get a chance to listen to it for 10-20 hours. What would make it even more interesting is if I could add a Cavalli Liquid Fire to the testing mix, but I don't think there's anyone in South Florida who owns one.

Quote:
I will be interested to read your thoughts. I actually just decided to sell my WA22 and buy the AE
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #22 of 119
It's always a joy to read your reviews. I tried the LCD-2 last week with the Isabella (or at least I think that's what it was called...) and I thought it was pretty awesome. I am still going to stick with the HD650 & WA6 though until I get enough money in the wallet for a LCD-2/HE-500.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #25 of 119
I initially fell off my chair when I saw the price, but I seem to recall Jude saying that the amp needed to do justice to the latest Stax flagship, in his opinion the best headphone ever made, would set you back 5K on top of the 5K price of the headphones, and that's before you go looking for a DAC. Whilst I don't have anything like 5K sitting around for audio purchases, when you put it in those terms Vinnie's offering isn't outrageously expensive, simply expensive. What does surprise me is the timing, but I guess manufacturers cant simply stop putting out product every time the stockmarket tanks.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 119

Quote:
I initially fell off my chair when I saw the price, 

Right eh. Same happened to me when i saw its price. 5k is a bit pricey for a headamp. 

Btw, thanks for the review Rob. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #27 of 119
Great professional sounding review! Very enjoyable to read. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #28 of 119
Nice review Skylab. There's no hyperbole, but it's clear you think highly of this combo. Also appreciate the diminishing returns disclaimer for plebs who grapple with justification for the big ticket rigs.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #30 of 119
Haha, another great review. Yup, the Schiit Lyr is an amazing oveperformer for the price, especially with tube rolling. In someways, I find it better than my maxed out woo wa5. Waiting for the upcoming Schiit "Statement" Dac and Amp though. Hoping they will really set a new standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back