Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Jan 3, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #3,871 of 7,140
Hi guys, first of all Happy New Year 2017!
May the joy and prosper be with us all :)

My QP1R has just arrived this morning. And I love its sound so much!
I've come across few DAPs in my journey before this e.g. DX50, AK100ii, AK120ii, Paw Gold, Terra, iPods, and so on; and now enjoying the wonderful QP1R!

Would you share what is your favorite IEM to pair with QP1R and why? :)

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #3,872 of 7,140

I've come across few DAPs in my journey before this e.g. DX50, AK100ii, AK120ii, Paw Gold, Terra, iPods, and so on; and now enjoying the wonderful QP1R!

Interesting to see your past DAPs used and now with QP1R.

In your experience, how does it compares with Ak, Tera and Paw Gold in terms of just Sound Quality alone (ignore battery life, UI interface and speed, balanced/unbalanced)?

Thanks for sharing.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #3,873 of 7,140

I us a JH Angie II. Why? Because it is my only IEM. At home, I use a ZMF Ori with it.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #3,874 of 7,140

Ortofon e-Q5 or e-Q8. For a single moving armature IEM, they bring out the best sonic qualities of any DAP I used them with.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #3,875 of 7,140
Ortofon e-Q5 or e-Q8. For a single moving armature IEM, they bring out the best sonic qualities of any DAP I used them with.

Yes I believe they are.
Thanks for sharing mate :wink:

I us a JH Angie II. Why? Because it is my only IEM. At home, I use a ZMF Ori with it.

Ah JH Angie II! I wish to get a chance for audition here (Malaysia). How do you describe the sound paired to QP1R?
And by the way, have you ever tried the Michelle as well? Quite a bargain eh that one :)

Interesting to see your past DAPs used and now with QP1R.

In your experience, how does it compares with Ak, Tera and Paw Gold in terms of just Sound Quality alone (ignore battery life, UI interface and speed, balanced/unbalanced)?

Thanks for sharing.

The only AK that I had and suits my sound preference is AK100ii, especially if paired to a neutral external amp like Vorzuge Pure ii; I think it was a mini QP1r: quick sounding, good attack, neutral to bright sounding, and transparent. But yeah, I only liked it when paired to an amp so it's rather bulky.
AK120ii and AK120 is way too smooth IMO, too mellow that I can't enjoy my Megadeths; there was no "oomph" factor. But they are shining on vocal-jazz or some slow pace musics. 3D sounding and layering is very good though, easy to pinpoint where the direction of instrument is coming from.
AK240 is somewhat too dry-sounding. Again, IMO.
No comment on AK380 :)

Tera is simply a magical small box so called an audio player! I love its organic (cmiiw) sounding.
I simply can't  put its kind of sound to an exact word, but perhaps, the opposite of "digital" kind of sound.
But, as you could predict, sound quality is not the only parameter to pick a DAP, right? 
Especially when you have lots of albums, artists, playlists, and so on.

LPG is also another beast with its transparency and resolution. One may address it as a "reference sounding". Different league with QP1R, IMO, but in terms of attack, dynamic-sounding, and musicality, to me, QP1R excels.
QP1R is something that you could "enjoy" with its toe-tapping, crisp high, solid punch, while maintaining its transparency and resolution, right? While LPG is a more "mature" sounding (apologies if my vocabularies are not so polished).

Ps:
I'm in no way a trained-audiophile/experienced reviewer as you could read from my narrow analysis.
So take the impressions with a grain of salt :)

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #3,876 of 7,140

So glad you're enjoying it! I'm basically set with this and Mojo as alternates. One more detail and dynamics, the other for smooth musicality.

Not tempted by 1Z? Ha!

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #3,877 of 7,140

So glad you're enjoying it! I'm basically set with this and Mojo as alternates. One more detail and dynamics, the other for smooth musicality.

Not tempted by 1Z? Ha!

Yeah enjoying my QP1R so far.
I just expect they will come out with a new firmware to PLAY ALL in each folder-level of browse-file mode. Somehow.

QP1R and Mojo will accommodate each other perfectly :wink:
Like good cop and bad cop hahaha..

No man, in 1 way or another I feel Sony NW-WM1Z is too much for me :/

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #3,878 of 7,140
I just expect they will come out with a new firmware to PLAY ALL in each folder-level of browse-file mode. Somehow.

Im looking forward to the day they announce the arrival of the 2nd edition, V2 or special edition ( or whatever it's going to be called) QP1R

bring it on

happy days

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #3,879 of 7,140

Im looking forward to the day they announce the arrival of the 2nd edition, V2 or special edition ( or whatever it's going to be called) QP1R

bring it on

happy days

I think that part of the appeal of the QP1R is that Questyle hasn't needed to develop a successor yet (though there were rumors). They simply work toward making the UI more user friendly. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #3,880 of 7,140

Congrats for having found your dream DAP! You won't miss much of the WM1A or WM1Z, as they are just slightly different tuning vs QP1R, and some may like the sound of WM, while some may prefer the QP1R.

Sold my QP1R though, as I prefer something more musical than QP1R. It is really nice sounding, just not my preference.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #3,881 of 7,140
Left house at 5:07am,
Turned on QP1R,
90% battery left,
At 5:36am QP1R turned off
No power left, would not even boot up,
Got to work and plug it in to charge,
The battery indicator immediately read 44%

Wow ... that number needs to be reset or something

So when is that new firmware fix for this coming?
It must be something tough to do ... would it be easier to give us a 'reset function' so we can do it ourselves once things get out of whack?

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #3,882 of 7,140
Agree, battery indicator is annoying.
If they can't fix this, they could implement something like battery play time. As the play time isn't affected, one would learn fast when it's time for charging, after 8, 9 hours.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #3,885 of 7,140
I sent mine in to the local distributer for the battery and wheel problem during my 11th month of owning the DAP.

Job was indicated that they switched some sensor thingy for the battery. I did experience more accurate battery indication as I do not have the sudden drastic drop or increase of the battery indicator. Player shuts down at about 30% now.

I doubt they did much with the scroll wheel though other than pasting the wheel sticker on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back