REVIEW: Qinpu Q-2 and A-3 Amplifiers and V-5 Speakers
Nov 28, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #91 of 140
Ooh, there's one for $108usd excluding postage that is an auction that ends in about two days, look out for that whoever's interested
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #92 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new 2009 Zero DAC has USB
bigsmile_face.gif
I think I am going to buy the A-3 in a few minutes, $139 usd excluding shipping is great! So the EF2 has less power than the A-3 but sounds a bit better with low impedience headphones? I doubt I would be able to tell a difference anyway. IDK how to explain how loud 24% volume is to you, except I have my iPod full blast with my P-51 Mustang on low gain with westone UM3X at about 9 or 10 o'clock.

I think I said the EF2 has similar power to the A-3 when using HD600, and a little more power than A-3 with low impedance phones, but that A-3 and EF2 still has less power than the EF1 (or EF5). It doesn't sound like you listen to your music very loudly, so it shouldn't be an issue with Grados, even if I think the HD600 are a better match.

When you get the A-3, you might pick up a matched set of JAN GE 5670 tubes (I got 2 pair for $28 shipped), or some Sylvania 2C51 (I paid about $26 for a pair), which will improve the sound. But I was surprised that the stock Chinese tubes didn't sound bad and actually complemented the dark nature of the Stax O2 Mk1 when driving them through a transformer. With nicer tubes the sound will be smoother and more refined and musical.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #93 of 140
Yes, now the fun begins with tubes haha. I just purchased the A3 from Head-Direct
biggrin.gif
Very excited for a first real home rig. Right now I am using Westone UM3X with a P-51 Mustang and iPod touch. I will use that less now even though I just purchased them. IEMs are always good at night because my family wont hear any sound leaking out from them and it means i can turn my amp up and really enjoy the music
biggrin.gif
Now the search for Tubes and a DAC begins.
I will go like this: Computer playing .wav and mp3>DAC>Qinpu A3>Grado SR-225/ATH-AD700

I think I will go Computer>USB cable>(Zero?)DAC>RCA cables>Qinpu A3>Headphones. I do have an X-Fi Elite Pro sound card but because I am getting a DAC, I think the onboard sound with Optical out will be all i need? My onboard sound also has SPDIF. I am sure I will miss the sound cards effects but I rarely game now, I used to game like 6 hours a day, now it's one or two if i'm lucky.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #94 of 140
Nov 28, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #95 of 140
Quote:

HPA, where di you purchase your tubes for the A3 from, if you don't mind me asking? What would be the difference between these two: 2 matched GE JAN-5670 (aka 396A 2C51) tubes - eBay, Other, Vintage Electronics, Electronics. (end time 10-Dec-09 15:53:11 AEDST)

2 matched GE JAN-5670 (aka 396A 2C51) tubes - eBay, Other, Vintage Electronics, Electronics. (end time 10-Dec-09 15:53:17 AEDST)

I see that they say different numbers in large bolded blue font, but I have no idea on what these mean :S

How about these? 2X Sylvania Gold Brand 5670 (GB-5670 WE 396A 2C51 6N3P) - eBay Tubes Acoustics, Electronic Components, Electrical Test Equipment, Business Industrial. (end time 28-Nov-09 21:30:19 AEDST)

In the first two auctions, the cheaper ones are weaker and almost used up, the more costly ones are pretty fresh still despite being used. I would pick the more costly ones. As a comparison, I paid about $28 USD shipped for a new pair of JAN GE 5670 and the same new Sylvania 2C51 for the A-3 back in February. The Sylvania I got were not the Gold Pin, and didn't sound much different from the GE.

The Sylvania with gold pins are new old stock (NOS) and not used like the GE you found, explaining why they cost even more. I have not tried the gold pin in a 5670 for A-3, but I know they have a good reputation if you are getting the 5751 (which are a 12AX7 equivalent, so wont work in the A-3). The Sylvania Gold Pin 5751 for my ZDT sell for between $65-100 for one, so the ones you found for the A-3 are a bit cheaper. I recently bought a Sylvania Gold Pin for my ZDT amp and like it, although it is a little brighter than my GE 5751 for the ZDT. However that works well when using my K1000 or Stax O2 with a transformer off the ZDT, or when using the stock cable on the HD800. I don't know how that would translate to the 5670 for the A-3, but I doubt it would suck.

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #96 of 140
Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif
Every bit helps
evil_smiley.gif
I am very new to tubes so I will have to do some research on them
wink_face.gif
Would you be able to recommend me two good tubes for under $50usd for the A-3? A link if possible would be much appreciated too.

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #97 of 140
Quote:

Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif
Every bit helps
evil_smiley.gif
I am very new to tubes so I will have to do some research on them
wink_face.gif
Would you be able to recommend me two good tubes for under $50usd for the A-3? A link if possible would be much appreciated too.

Yeah, the GE in the more expensive auction with the higher test numbers are the ones I told you to get, because the Gold Pin might be too expensive. (don't know why I thought it was the second auction)

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #98 of 140
Stang, from memory you havent had the Mustang for very long (happy to hear otherwise) : can I ask whether it has met your expectations ? I think this is an amp requiring several hundred hours burn-in - I expect that HPA will correct me if I've gotten that wrong.

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #99 of 140
Thanks HPA, was just verifying
smily_headphones1.gif
estreeter, I've had the P-51 Mustang only several days and I use it with my Westone UM3X as my current main rig. I bought it used from a head-fi owner but I don't think he had it burned in. I am enjoying it, not too impressed though, probably coz I am no audiophile. Like i plugged it in and completely forgot it was plugged in, I saw little difference. Would this because i have a bad ear or coz im using IEMs? One thing I can tell you, the Highs are really coming along, they have a very nice sparkle to them
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #100 of 140
Nov 29, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #101 of 140
Quote:

HPA, is this better/same as the JAN GE 5670 that r $38.50 with higher test score?
(((( 2 pcs ))))Brand New General Electric GE 5670 tube - eBay (item 220471226273 end time Dec-23-09 04:43:27 PST)
These are brand new but I am not sure if they will work with the A3 and are the sam quality as the Jan. Thanks for your help
biggrin.gif

They are a 5670 tube so they will work, but it's been said the JAN (joint army navy) tubes are held to a higher standard than the non-JAN tubes. I have no idea if these latest ones will be worse or better.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #102 of 140
Hmm well I might just get the $38.50 ones then. Didn't you say you paid $28 NEW for them?

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #103 of 140
Quote:

Hmm well I might just get the $38.50 ones then. Didn't you say you paid $28 NEW for them?

You do know that different sellers in different places charge different prices, right?

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #104 of 140
Lol yes, obviously
frown.gif
I guess I will just buy those, I got given $60 for no apparent reason lol, time for shopping online
wink.gif
Head-fi has borrowed about $2700 from me in the last 3 months
redface.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #105 of 140
Quote:

Lol yes, obviously
frown.gif
I guess I will just buy those, I got given $60 for no apparent reason lol, time for shopping online
wink.gif
Head-fi has borrowed about $2700 from me in the last 3 months
redface.gif

I know what you mean, as I have about 10-12x that invested. If money is tough to come by, the you can always try the stock tubes first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back