REVIEW: Qinpu Q-2 and A-3 Amplifiers and V-5 Speakers
Jun 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #46 of 140
If those speaker amplifiers can drive headphones, does it stand to reason that a relatively powerful headphone amplifier (like the EF1) could drive tiny speakers like these Qinpus with the right cable hookup?

Sorry, I'm one of the "doesn't know how his sausage gets made" folks who has no idea about electronics...

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #47 of 140
I did some research on the speaker pairings the manufacture does with Qinpu Q2...
chpo
(by the way, qinpu, or chpu, means "music score")

The Qinpu MG-2 has following spec:
Frequency range: 150Hz-18kHz
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Sensitivity: 86dB
Power: 8W

The Qinpu Q-6
Frequency range: 120Hz-18kHz
Impedance: 4Ω
Sensitivity: 83dB
Power: 15W

So I take that it should drive something of similar spec.
I do have an pair of old Sansui speakers of similar spec... now I am very tempted to get it...

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #48 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If those speaker amplifiers can drive headphones, does it stand to reason that a relatively powerful headphone amplifier (like the EF1) could drive tiny speakers like these Qinpus with the right cable hookup?

Sure, you could hook it up and have some sound come out...but it isn't a very good idea.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #49 of 140
Why do you say that? Again, being a complete n00b on these matters, it just seems to me like if an amp is good and can drive headphone drivers to pretty high volumes, it should be able to do the same for tiny, efficient desktop speakers with success. Am I being too generous about the similarities between headphone drivers and small speaker drivers?

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #50 of 140
Yes, you are
wink.gif
Consider this for a second - speakers are generally 4-8 ohms, whereas very low impedance headphones are usually 25-30 ohms, with many headphones in the +/- 300 ohm range. Also, a headphone driver is so close to your head that if it needs 1 watt to get 90db from the driver at 1 meter, you will never, ever need 1 watt in practice. But a 90db speaker is very efficient, and sitting just 1 meter from speakers is rare.

They are just very different animals, speakers and headphones.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #52 of 140
I sit about 1M away, yes. And I power speakers from a TNS Sweet-2 tube amp in my office, and for an office it is pretty loud. But I am not trying to drive speakers from a headphone jack! There are separate outputs for speakers that are designed for that impedance.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #53 of 140
So I finally bought the Q2 -- and I must say many THANK YOU to Skylab for his insightful reviews and tube recommendation!

All right, this is my first step to tube amp, so I am no aficionado or anything.
I got a JAN GE-5670W for $3.50 in a local shop, and hooked it up with my Advent Mini (6 ohms) -- good, it works, there's no smoke and it makes sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, it sounds beautiful! Good definition of the sound stage, clean mid-range, and the the brightness at high range was much better controlled. (Advent Mini is a bit more blurred at the high, which seems to pair with Q2 rather well).
The bass is not huge or powerful, but it sounds balanced -- still gets the dynamic of a symphony orchestra and it fills the stage well.

For my purpose (as a desktop amp to go with my computer), it definitely works. Actually, WOW!

I have to screw around and hook it up to my classic Advent Loudspeakers, which I have been driving with a solid SS Toshiba. Of course, it's too big for the Q2, and there's practically no bass at all. But the mid and high from the tweeter is just amazing! Chet Baker's voice just sounded so sweet (and before that I never understood what "sweet" means in all these reviews)!

and to think that Q2 is probably not the most tuby sounding amp, I can only imagine what a good amp will do!

Thanks again to Skylab's review, and many others' input here!

and if anyone has any recommendations on a stereo amp to drive my Advent Loudspeakers, I may just have to buy you a few beers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #54 of 140
Glad you are enjoying it!

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #55 of 140
I'm really interested in A3 and Darkvoice 336SE!!!

I mostly listen to 70s rock and guitar kind of music.

I have Grado 225 headphones.

For which one should i go for?

Thanks!!!

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #57 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested in A3 and Darkvoice 336SE!!!

I mostly listen to 70s rock and guitar kind of music.

I have Grado 225 headphones.

For which one should i go for?

Thanks!!!

I'd use the A3 for Grados - better match for their very low impedance.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #58 of 140
Thanks!!!

Its also funny because i can get Qinpu A3 for like 97GBP with shipping while darkvoice is 230GBP with shipping.

Also how does Qinpu A3 compare to other amps? like M3 and others...

Thanks again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back