REVIEW: PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
Aug 9, 2007 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
I have listened to my fair share of DAC's and CDP's, and short of the megabuck gear, it can be very difficult to find a "budget" DAC that is both musically satisfying and appeals to the left brain also. Luckily, the new PS Audio Digital Link III ($995) belongs in that rare group.

Here's what Barry Willis from "The Absolute Sound" mag said about it:

"It went into my main system as a replacement for the April Music Stello DA 100 DAC, reviewed in Issue 165. The Stello is a fine piece, one I have been tremendously happy with since I brought it home from last year’s Consumer Electronics Show, but the PS Audio is in a different league altogether, offering an almost frightening level of detail, dimensionality, and bass impact. I hate to default to one of the oldest clichés in the audio-reviewing lexicon, but the Digital Link III really did lift a few veils."

I don't quite agree with the rave flavor of the TAS review, but DLIII certainly deserves some more attention from audiophiles.

img2157bd3.jpg

ps1ap1.jpg

ps2ch4.jpg

ps3ul9.jpg

THE BASICS

DLIII uses the following components to achieve its sound:

Crystal CS8416 digital input receiver with 192kHz capability.

TI SRC4192 sample rate converter. 96kHz/192kHz selectable (no 44.1kHz).

TI PCM1798DB balanced DA converter

Fet discrete analogue output stage, Single-ended or fully balanced.

THE SOUND-SPDIF

As usual for me, I mainly tested the DAC's in my speaker rig, which usually reveals differences better, followed by headphone listening. My resident DAC is the Oritek modded Zhaolu 2.0A with AD1852 DAC chip, latest version. I fed both DAC's with my Audio PC/Foobar/ASIO dll->Lynx 2B modded spdif out->Stereovox XV2 digital cable.

Oritek Zhaolu 2.0A
img1726ud0.jpg

DLIII sounded great out-of-box and remained so through the weeks. Most of all, it sounded very dynamically effortless through all frequency ranges. Many DAC's reveal different dynamics among treble, mid, and/or bass, so some may have great bass dynamics yet weak midrange dynamics, etc, resulting in disjoined sound that can be tiring over time. No such problems with DLIII, as all frequencies hit equally hard with similar speed and swing.

Treble was airy, flowery even, yet with great detail. There was no grain or grit to speak of, and more importantly, the treble and midrange flowed into each other with one voice and tone. Not much to complain about here. This is pretty comparable to the Oritek in quality and resolution, though DLIII's presentation is more "sunny" and "lit," not better or worse, just different IMO.

Bass was simply phenomenal at this price range. In fact, DLIII's bass outshines Oritek DAC in midbass weight and impact by a significant degree. DLIII simply rocks along with taut, deep, PRATTY bass that serves dynamic music very well while avoiding the artificially iron-hard bass that can fatigue you over time.

Midrange sounds very good, too, in line with qualities of treble/bass. But it's here that Oritek pulls ahead by a significant margin. DLIII's midrange is more sunny and bloomy with bigger images, yet lacks the extremely fine-grained density and nuance that Oritek can exhibit with a well-recorded song. In video terminology, it's like turning up the "brightness" control one notch while turning down the "contrast" one notch, leading to sunnier yet less textured images. Notice I didn't say "bright" on purpose b/c that implies some negatives or irratation, which there is none with DLIII.

This is the sort of thing I have noticed with upsampling with other gear in past, which is why I hate the fact DLIII does not give you the option of choosing straight 44.1 kHz non-upsampled sound. I'll bet my personal preferences would lie with 44.1 kHz if that was selectable, but I guess we'll never know.

There are some other notable differences as well. DLIII overall sounds fuller and more easily able to fill the room with sound pressure, not just in bass but the entire soundfield seems to project easier into the room. It's soundstaging is very nice and in line with good DAC's, but it is slightly more forward, i.e. the solo voices/instruments starts at the plane of speakers and outward. Oritek tends to start right at the plane of speakers and a bit forward and backward depending on the recording, able to portray depth information a little deeper than DLIII, a difference I've noticed in past with non-upsampling to upsampling players. These are not large differences, and both presentations certainly are within MY perception of what's right.

UPSAMPLING: 96kHz vs. 192kHz

Most of my listening was done with DLIII at at 96kHz b/c well, it simply sounded better to me than 192kHz. The above description is basically the sound at 96kHz. Once 192kHz is selected, the bloomy/sunny midrange dries up a bit, especially in low-midrange/upper-bass area, sounding smaller. The very lowest bass ranges gain a bit in impact, but the midbass bloom is sacrificed as well as smoothness of low-treble/upper-midrange. Simply put, sound becomes more artificial and more "digital" at 192kHz, though it subjectively sounds more detailed due to extra edge enhancement and leaner upper/mid-bass. I don't recommend 192kHz unless your system sounds overly soft on top and overly bloomy in midbass.

SOME MUSINGS

Overall, I wish I could combine the midrange of Oritek with the bass dynamics of DLIII, but each DAC still sounds completely great on its own. Unless you get into very well-designed, cost-no-object DAC's, you are likely to run into a situation where you will have to choose and compromise on certain aspects of the sound. For me and my music, the extra fine-resolution of Oritek midrange is pretty hard to give up. It's like looking at something through a microscope and *almost* seeing that last fine detail yet having no more lens power. Oritek midrange is like giving you just another half inch turn on the microscope knob to *really* see that detail.

Still, the overall midrange presentation of DLIII is hard to fault, and truth be told, if I didn't have the Oritek to A-B, I probably would have been completely satisfied with the whole presentation, especially with the speed, resolution, clarity, and bass prowess of DLIII dishing out the whole picture so satisfyingly.

If your musical tastes run more into rock, metal, trance, etc, I would recommend the DLIII instead. If you live and die by solo vocals, instruments, acoustic music, it's hard to go wrong with Oritek Zhaolu. It's a good thing I don't necessarily have to let go of one
smily_headphones1.gif

POSTSCRIPT: USB Input

I was very eager to test the USB input on DLIII, b/c I'm a PC Audio guy. Unfortunately, DLIII doesn't do USB-to-I2S and takes the USB stream and converts it to spdif, which then goes through the chain like spdif.

Foobar did not work with ASIO dll, but ASIO4ALL worked, which is what I used. For some days, I actually even thought USB input may be preferable b/c it had a much more "analogue" presenation. Images had more density and weight behind them, and whatever grit/digititis remained via coax simply disappeared. There was basicaly zero brightness, hardness, grain in USB mode. If I had to set up a blind-test to fool audiophiles to think they're listening to vinyl, USB would be it.

However, after extended listening, I have come to the conclusion that subtle yet important details are not quite coming through. There's also less sense of airy sparkle to upper ranges of vocals and instruments, which I personally enjoy on a good recording. Still, if you really like vinyl sound and can't stand ANY sibilance or even a PINCH of digititus, then the USB input may be an option.

IF a certain DAC-manufacturer-who-cannot-be-named comes through with his promises, I *may* be getting a DAC that has USB-I2S connection for a 3-way DAC shootout, but we'll see...

Anyway, that's all, folks
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 28
hmm..the difference is in the Power Supply? Maybe the old saying is true, power is 60% of the sound
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 28
Well, I'd like to take a listen....considering your post, it might be worthy of a look at. You're gonna be at the 25th meet?

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 28
Jon L, good review. I agree with you that the Digital Link III is really an excellent dac. It excels in its resolution especially at the treble and bass. The midrange is wonderful too, but not as sweet as my Paradisea+ that I also own. In regards to 96kHz vs 192kHz, it's really a toss up based on personal preference and the particular recording. Some people who had thought 96kHz sounded better actually changed their mind after listening to 192kHz for an extended period of time. You should let your PS Audio DLIII burn in for a little longer before you do a comparison with your Oritek-modded Zhaolu which is probably already burnt in. Also you didn't mention the power cords you were using. Hopefully you weren't using the stock power cords. The DLIII benefits significantly with a better power cord (Zhaolu probably will too).

Finally, if you don't mind forking out another $690, check out the "modding" forum on psaudio.com. Rick Cullum (the builder of quite a few PS Audio products and manufacturer of the first batch of PS Audio Digital Link III) just came out with some mod pacakges for the DLIII which is getting some preliminary rave reviews that might solve all your dilemma about wanting to combine the best of DLIII with that of a modded Zhaolu.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by happybob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jon L, good review. I agree with you that the Digital Link III is really an excellent dac. It excels in its resolution especially at the treble and bass. The midrange is wonderful too, but not as sweet as my Paradisea+ that I also own. In regards to 96kHz vs 192kHz, it's really a toss up based on personal preference and the particular recording. Some people who had thought 96kHz sounded better actually changed their mind after listening to 192kHz for an extended period of time. You should let your PS Audio DLIII burn in for a little longer before you do a comparison with your Oritek-modded Zhaolu which is probably already burnt in. Also you didn't mention the power cords you were using. Hopefully you weren't using the stock power cords. The DLIII benefits significantly with a better power cord (Zhaolu probably will too).

Finally, if you don't mind forking out another $690, check out the "modding" forum on psaudio.com. Rick Cullum (the builder of quite a few PS Audio products and manufacturer of the first batch of PS Audio Digital Link III) just came out with some mod pacakges for the DLIII which is getting some preliminary rave reviews that might solve all your dilemma about wanting to combine the best of DLIII with that of a modded Zhaolu.

Thanks for pointing out the thread. I just posted a question for Rick there:
http://boards.psaudio.com/viewtopic....p=32426#p32426

I also noticed that UnderwoodHiFi on Agon is already offering modded DLIII's. It would be interesting to compare Rick's mods to theirs if chance presents itself. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....onv&1191804235

As far as power cords go, yes I have kept everything else in the system the same, including Black Sands Violet Z1 power cords to the DAC's. I'm also happy to report that PS Audio has another winner on their hands with the Transcendent silver interconnect, which I still use. GREAT cable!

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also noticed that UnderwoodHiFi on Agon is already offering modded DLIII's. It would be interesting to compare Rick's mods to theirs if chance presents itself. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....onv&1191804235

As far as power cords go, yes I have kept everything else in the system the same, including Black Sands Violet Z1 power cords to the DAC's. I'm also happy to report that PS Audio has another winner on their hands with the Transcendent silver interconnect, which I still use. GREAT cable!

No problem Jon. I saw your post over there, and had posted a couple follow-up questions to Rick too regarding whether he would be able to offer a non-oversampling 44.1khz option and also to bypass usb-to-spdif conversion with the mods. Seriously though, if his internal clock replacement is as good as advertised with such a low jitter, then the usb-to-spdif conversion might not be that big of a deal after all. BTW, is there really a big audible advantage in synchronous up-conversion to 88.2 or 176.4 khz? I can see the advantage of non-oversampling sounding better in some cases, but if the music is going to upsampled anyway, wouldn't it be better to leave the rate at 96 or 192khz since that's what those dac chips were designed for?

I've heard good things about the Black Sands Violet Z1 power cords. I've gotten decent results with Zu Cable Birth, I'm sure the Violet Z1 is in another league, but I'm not at the point of spending that much on power cords yet.

Regarding Underwood hi-fi's mods offering, they were supposedly designed by the guy from Sonic Frontiers, and I'm sure it will improve the DLIII. But I doubt that they will be as good as the mods by Rick since none of the current mods by Underwood replaces the internal clock. Also based on my conversation with Rick, he is currently negotiating with Underwood to start doing all their mods for PS Audio DLIII. He already does most of the PS Audio mods for Underwood. So whatever Underwood is offering right now for the DLIII will soon be replaced by Rick's mods.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So no DAC1 comparisons? From what you describe, this DAC is more up my alley then then DAC1 & also supports XRL..

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So no DAC1 comparisons? From what you describe, this DAC is more up my alley then then DAC1 & also supports XRL..

i think i saw a post by someone mentioning that there was a comparison review by a german magazine that found ps audio digital link iii to be much more musical than the benchmark media dac 1, but i' haven't seen the review myself.

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 28
Aug 17, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 28
Jon L;3180548 said:
I have listened to my fair share of DAC's and CDP's, and short of the megabuck gear, it can be very difficult to find a "budget" DAC that is both musically satisfying and appeals to the left brain also. Luckily, the new PS Audio Digital Link III ($995) belongs in that rare group.

Here's what Barry Willis from "The Absolute Sound" mag said about it:

"It went into my main system as a replacement for the April Music Stello DA 100 DAC, reviewed in Issue 165. The Stello is a fine piece, one I have been tremendously happy with since I brought it home from last year’s Consumer Electronics Show, but the PS Audio is in a different league altogether, offering an almost frightening level of detail, dimensionality, and bass impact. I hate to default to one of the oldest clichés in the audio-reviewing lexicon, but the Digital Link III really did lift a few veils."

I don't quite agree with the rave flavor of the TAS review, but DLIII certainly deserves some more attention from audiophiles. UNQUOTE]

Jon, Barry Willis's rave-flavor review is with the proviso that the DLIII is used together with the Margules Audio Magenta ADE-24 harmonic sweetener. I believe he clearly says so in the review's next paragraph, where he states that such combination made standard CDs "essentially equivalent to their SACD counterpars, even when SACDs are played back through the $5000 linn Unidisk SC [his reference]". Unfortunately, he did not review the DLIII solo (as far as one can tell within the full context of the review, as published). Are you familiar with the ADE-24?

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 28
What concerns me about this unit is that the USB input can only handle sample rates up to 48 kHz. If I were a betting man, I would wager that DVD-A and SACD are dying a slow death, and the future for hi-rez formats will be in downloadable 24/96 FLAC's.......eliminating the costs and overhead that are required in the long run to satisfy a limited audiophile market now split between the DVD-A and SACD camps. Local sources for discs in our area of the Chicago suburbs have eliminated all DVD-A or SACD bins--I take that as a bad omen.

I gathered from a post made by on the PS Audio site on June 25, 2007 that the folks at PS Audio were painfully unaware of the real capabilities of USB audio during development of the device. Quoting from http://boards.psaudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3932......

"The current generation of drivers/chips only support up to 48kHz sampling frequencies."

The "lowly" E-MU 0404 USB, available since the fall of 2006, along with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and a number of other amateur recording interfaces easily support 24/96 over USB with device-specific drivers, as does the Benchmark DAC1 via a proprietary firmware implemenation.

Without better support for hi-rez sources over USB, this one just doesn't appeal to me.

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 28
"What concerns me about this unit is that the USB input can only handle sample rates up to 48 kHz."

i'm interested in this. if standard CD is the source of lossless content, than does the higher sample rates make any difference?

i know it matters for SACD/DVDA and possibly HDDVD/BluRay content. just not sure about CD's.

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What concerns me about this unit is that the USB input can only handle sample rates up to 48 kHz.

I am a novice with regards to USB audio formats. What type of audio source material can be sent from a PC via the USB other than 16 bit type audio at 44.1KHz? What are the advantages of USB sample rates of more than 96KHz?

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.f /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"What concerns me about this unit is that the USB input can only handle sample rates up to 48 kHz."

i'm interested in this. if standard CD is the source of lossless content, than does the higher sample rates make any difference?

i know it matters for SACD/DVDA and possibly HDDVD/BluRay content. just not sure about CD's.

Yes, indeed......if all you are concerned about is playing content from 16/44.1 sources such as CD's, then the USB input on this unit is entirely capable.

Here is the rub, though.......virtually no music these days is recorded in native 16/44.1 format! Sure, it gets downsampled to that at some point to produce the redbook CD master, but the individual tracks in a pop/rock/jazz studio recording, or the "live" direct-to-stereo tracks in a minimally-miked classical recording, are almost surely done at 24/88.2 (providing an easier conversion to 44.1 kHz) or 24/96, with some being done in DSD format.

If sales of DVD-A's and SACD's are so disappointing to the big labels (and all evidence points in that direction,) it's only a matter of time before they are not available........and if we want to continue to obtain hi-rez source material to exploit the capabilities of our systems, it will have to be downloadable rather than on disc....and playable from hard drives on computer-based systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back