Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Aug 18, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #1,126 of 3,234
I guess I was wrong about you newbies
wink.gif
. I came here long before these massive comparison reviews and so my audio journey/quest was much different.

Regardless, more information is always beneficial so no-one should be complaining.

Cheers,
EK

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #1,127 of 3,234
Skylab,
I noticed you have a Sound Devices HX-3 in your portable lineup. As you didn't rate it in the review I am wondering how you might rank it compared to the other amps like the Move or the RS amps? (I am going a little mad trying to decide on an amp!) Thanks for your input.

EDIT: Sorry Skylab, just found your write up on the HX-3. Still as it was in '06 a direct comparison to the newer amps mentioned would be VERY helpful. Thanks for your time and any reply.(Xin Reference comparison would be great too as it is on my "very" short list!)

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #1,128 of 3,234
I'd love to get a Xin reference, but that may be tough.

As for the Sound Devices amp, you know it's a pro amp, right? It's not really small or light. Not the kind of thing that one would bring around for listening portably. And it doesn't sound quite as good as the top 10 or 11 amps here. That said, you could run over the Sound Devices amp with a truck, and it would very likely sustain no damage...

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #1,129 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to get a Xin reference, but that may be tough...

Once I get the new board to replace the one on the Beta Reference I have, and I burn it in for at least 400 hours I will send it to you. I could send you the Beta Reference I have but it is from mid/late May and a lot has been changed in the last 12 weeks or so.

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #1,130 of 3,234
COOL! Thanks Mrarroyo! I will wait for the "finished" version (as finished as any Xin amp ever is
wink.gif
)

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #1,132 of 3,234
Quote:

I'd love to get a Xin reference, but that may be tough.

As for the Sound Devices amp, you know it's a pro amp, right? It's not really small or light. Not the kind of thing that one would bring around for listening portably. And it doesn't sound quite as good as the top 10 or 11 amps here. That said, you could run over the Sound Devices amp with a truck, and it would very likely sustain no damage...

I'm aware of the fact that it is a pro amp. My interest was peaked when you said in your review that it wasn't bettered by the Aria by much at all. Add that to a previous comment about desktops (Aria) sounding better in general than portables and I thought we might have a winner here. It is hard to keep up with what seems at times to be contradictory information. This is not meant as an insult in any way. Just a comment from someone on a limited budget, $300 ($400 max all in) who wants a good amp for his HD 600s. Portability isn't an issue for me but if one is getting the same performance out of a portable for the same money then there seems little reason to get a desktop. Thanks for any more illumination on this. The Presonus Central Station is a pro amp as well but is ranked very high in the desktop review. Anybody want to go out on a limb and say what they think would be the best synergy with 600s with the one qualification that I might be trading them in for 650s? I promise I won't hold yor feet to the fire!
confused.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #1,133 of 3,234
I'm pretty pleased with the Little Dot Micro+ (especially for the $50 or so I paid for it). Interesting to see it finish dead last here. I'd be more curious in how the Little Dot++ compares with the other big guns there. Appreciate the post, as I'm looking for another amp to supplement this one.

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #1,134 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by balanceofpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty pleased with the Little Dot Micro+ (especially for the $50 or so I paid for it). Interesting to see it finish dead last here. I'd be more curious in how the Little Dot++ compares with the other big guns there. Appreciate the post, as I'm looking for another amp to supplement this one.

there are some great posts about the LDII series of amps here if you search. There aren't many more because the amp isn't made anymore. But if you can find one that doesn't arc you'll have yourself a winner

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #1,135 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm aware of the fact that it is a pro amp. My interest was peaked when you said in your review that it wasn't bettered by the Aria by much at all. Add that to a previous comment about desktops (Aria) sounding better in general than portables and I thought we might have a winner here. It is hard to keep up with what seems at times to be contradictory information. This is not meant as an insult in any way. Just a comment from someone on a limited budget, $300 ($400 max all in) who wants a good amp for his HD 600s. Portability isn't an issue for me but if one is getting the same performance out of a portable for the same money then there seems little reason to get a desktop. Thanks for any more illumination on this. The Presonus Central Station is a pro amp as well but is ranked very high in the desktop review. Anybody want to go out on a limb and say what they think would be the best synergy with 600s with the one qualification that I might be trading them in for 650s? I promise I won't hold yor feet to the fire!
confused.gif

You have to look at WHEN things were written. When I wrote the HX3 review I hadn't heard the vast majority of these amps. Nor, in fairness, have I actually compared them to the HX3. Maybe I should
biggrin.gif

If I didn't need portability, I would take the Aria for the under $400 price range, no doubt.

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #1,136 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab....have you had the chance to hear the iBasso D1 yet? Don't recall seeing any comments on that one in this thread. Did I miss it?

I'm also very curious to read how the D1 stacks up against the competition...

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #1,137 of 3,234
I have requested a review sample, but no idea if I will get one or not. iBasso has been very nice about that in the past.

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #1,138 of 3,234
When I wrote the HX3 review I hadn't heard the vast majority of these amps. Nor, in fairness, have I actually compared them to the HX3. Quote:

Maybe I should

This would be a great help as the HX3 is readily available here in Toronto (unlike most of the other amps). Thanks for your recommendation as well. It is just about what I have come up with through months of searching. I was considering the Arietta but thought it might not be quite enough for the Senns. Both your and mrarroyo's reviews have been a big help.
PS. Has anyone compared the Arietta to some of the better portables?

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #1,139 of 3,234
Quote:

I have requested a review sample, but no idea if I will get one or not. iBasso has been very nice about that in the past.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one. Team minimal anxiously awaits your review.
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #1,140 of 3,234
I am happy to report that iBasso has graciously agreed to loan me a D1 for review
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back