Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
Sep 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #121 of 396
This thread is very interesting because I have the HM5 as well and LOVE THEM!  With the Velour Pads from Shure, it seems to have cut down the reverb a lot.  The sound is fantastic

So as of now, I am not sure what to do.  I still have the Uptowns (and Downtowns) both sitting unused in their boxes.

Not sure if I should open the Uptowns and try them? 

EDIT, decided to trade/sell them.  If that does not work out, maybe I will try them then.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #122 of 396
Admittedly, I'm rather unique in my views as an HM5 "hater." 
redface.gif

Also is it just me, or do the Uptowns in BloodyPenguin's picture look like they might be a removable pads version like mine were?

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #123 of 396
Admittedly, I'm rather unique in my views as an HM5 "hater." :xf_eek:

Also is it just me, or do the Uptowns in BloodyPenguin's picture look like they might be a removable pads version like mine were?

I won't be home until later tonight. But I can post up closer pictures of the pads (while still in the box).

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #124 of 396
Quote:
I won't be home until later tonight. But I can post up closer pictures of the pads (while still in the box).

Now that I take a closer look and compare to the pictures of mine actually, they are not the same pads. The ones in your picture have that brown middle section and then a black outer lip, whereas mine are just an all black lip straight from the pads. Yours match the non-removable pads as can be seen in Lorspeaker's pics a few pages back. So much for that, haha.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #125 of 396
I jumped on the 1saleaday deal, should be here in like a week, hopefully. I've only got my senn's to compare them to, really. Still, cheap cans that can possibly compete with my 380s and have better comfort....hard to walk away from that. 

If the cable is really as bad as people say, I'll find someone to recable them for me, as I've really got no tools or experience in that department :p

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #126 of 396
@ leveler -  I'm glad you were able to figure out a fix for the adjuster issue.  The Uptowns have a decent build, but I still wouldn't knock them around too much. 

I've been very happy with my pair of Uptowns so far. Regardless of the price paid, they're a comfortable and good sounding set of cans.  I have a pretty nice setup at home (HD650+Lyr), but I'm perfectly happy plugging the Uptowns into my ipad and dialing in some music on MOG.  My philosophy on the cable is--it's fine and I'll replace it if it breaks.  I may add a drop of superglue so the volume control is locked at the maximum setting.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #128 of 396
Went ahead and took advantage of 1saleaday's discount. I've never done any hardware mods on headphones before but I'll definitely look into it for this, and if I don't have the tools I'm sure someone on Head-Fi can recable them for me. 
smile.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #131 of 396
Something I discovered when using the headphones on my ipod touch 2 w/o the amping; Moving the audio jack even slightly will cause my iPod to switch a song, fast forward, or pause. It gets a bit irritating when my amp is out of power and I want to listen to music.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #132 of 396
Well, 1saleaday snuck these on me pretty well. Arrived today before ever receiving shipping notice.
smily_headphones1.gif

First impressions, straight out of the box (keeping in mind my noobishness with the audiophile world):

1. These are very comfortable, moreso than the SR850s out of the box. They'll probably be even better after some stretch time.
  2. Ears get warm but not hot. I could probably wear these for a while without feeling the need to let my ears breathe.
  3. Turning left/right breaks the ear pad's seal near the jaw on the side you're turning toward.
  4. Microphonics are worse than on my SR850. Dat cable's gotta go. Brushing against the phones at all WILL be heard.

As for sound:

1. As with the SR850, burn-in is required. See below.
  2. Mids (vocals particularly) are either very forward, or bass & treble are recessed.
  3. There is a slight tinny quality to the sound. SR850s had the same thing fresh out of the box, too.
  4. So far there doesn't seem to be much bass extension; most of what I hear would qualify as mid-bass I think.
  5. I sort of like the highs, but I haven't found a good song yet to explore that (definitely open to suggestions). Right now they seem to have a little bit of sibilance but nothing harsh. They don't seem to extend very high though. (I'm using "seem" because I'm not 100% sure of this, just posting a first impression).

Burning in will be done with Infected Mushroom, Sleepthief, Nightwish, Within Temptation, If These Trees Could Talk, Maserati, The Crystal Method, Epica, and a couple more rock-oriented albums (Killswitch, Shinedown, etc.).

For $70 shipped, the sole real complaint I have right now is with the microphonics. I can fix some of that by modding or having someone else mod the cable. Not sure what (if anything) can be done about the rest of the headphone.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #134 of 396
It's possible I'm misinterpreting the degree to which bumping the cable or phones would transmit to the ear, but I don't think so. I would need to play with some real high-end phones to know for sure; if it's still present on an HE-500, LCD2, etc., then I'm overthinking it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #135 of 396
Quote:
It's possible I'm misinterpreting the degree to which bumping the cable or phones would transmit to the ear, but I don't think so. I would need to play with some real high-end phones to know for sure; if it's still present on an HE-500, LCD2, etc., then I'm overthinking it.
biggrin.gif

Well, cables are one thing, but bumping the actual cups or something would make noise with any headphone. I don't really see how that could possibly be avoided, or how in that sense it could even be considered a problem...

Also, just because a headphone is high-end doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't have microphonics. I mean, you wouldn't want or expect it to, but microphonics aren't directly caused by price :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back