Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
Jun 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #31 of 396
Quote:

*Sorry for the double post. It won't let me copy for some reason*

Do they sell those as individual spares on ebay? I'd like to try the headphones on my piano.

Yes, something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhone-Headset-to-PC-Laptop-Speaker-Mic-3-5mm-Audio-Adapter-/190696293176?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2c66628338
or:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Headset-Extended-Adapter-3-5mm-for-apple-black-/110904161812?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item19d2673614

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #33 of 396
Quote:
That worked very well, thanks. I assume the buzzing I get on the piano music is my headphones then. The settings are not exactly extreme there, and I made sure the Mp3s are decent quality.

Is it possible for you to send me a few example tracks where you are hearing this so I could give it a listen?

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #35 of 396
Quote:
http://www.2shared.com/file/-I3pbgfG/songs.html

Here you go. Apparently I'm unauthorized to attach files at the moment.

Ok. I copied your equalizer settings. I don't think I heard anything on any of these files except for Moonlight Sonata (this one also seemed to be noticeably lower quality). It was fine without EQ, but with the EQ on it was definitely clipping pretty bad. I turned the preamp down and this eliminated the problem. Something else you could try is subtraction instead of boosting to achieve an equivalent result. For example:

Boosted:

Subtracted:

To start I set every frequency at -4 and treat that as if it's 0, and then copied the same EQ settings from before. This way, the previously highest boosted frequency at 4kHz ends up being at 0 instead of +4. It probably doesn't really make a big difference what method you use. I suppose just turning the preamp down is less effort. 
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #36 of 396
  It worked fine. I never really experimented with lowering equalizer settings. My old headphone had some crappy volume levels, and to satisfy my ears I needed to push the equalizer into extremes. I guess being used to that is the reason why I didn't try to lower the preamp. >.>

Thank you very much for your help. I'll buy the headphones as soon as my gaming headset sells.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #37 of 396
Got to try these out for a second time (the first time I was a little underwhelmed) at Best Buy and came away a little impressed. Although again its hard to say since they were plugged up to their listening station. Once I get some cash I may try these out.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #38 of 396
my few sessions with this can have been VERY CAPTIVATING..EUPHONIC...
.it pulls on my heartstrings when the vocals are on stage.. delicious.
now i am listening to bigger musical pieces thru the LYR, this can is holding up to the symphonic demands.
i am having a great time...the voicing reminded me of another can ...the FA-003, (which i loved)
but i think this Uptown is BETTER to my ears...less hall-ish. Also the form factor is really appealing.
For 100bucks...a no brainer. :p

-------

question...anyone tried to pull out the earpads successfully...? 
confused.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #39 of 396
Quote:
question...anyone tried to pull out the earpads successfully...? 
confused.gif

I did. They just slip on/off. I actually swapped them with HM5/FA-003 pads briefly while I still had both cans. It was an interesting little experiment. The HM5 pads were larger/deeper and more comfortable, but I definitely preferred the sound of the stock pads over them.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #40 of 396
ooo...just pull huh. :p
i am tempted to snip off the softcloth covering the drivers.
wink.gif

i guess the 003pads on the uptown would have made it sound hall-ish

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #41 of 396
Quote:
ooo...just pull huh. :p
i am tempted to snip off the softcloth covering the drivers.
wink.gif

i guess the 003pads on the uptown would have made it sound hall-ish

Hm...I wonder.

Mostly what I remember about the 003 pads was it resulted in more treble and less bass, which I didn't like at all. I took them off immediately. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #42 of 396
i am still not successful at pulling off the pads ...are u able to post a pic manveru..? :p

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #44 of 396
I recently purchased  both Uptowns and Audio Technica ATH-M50s and to be blunt and short, they can't even compare. Uptowns are solid, but bass gets easily distorted and highs can be a bit harsh and fatiguing. ATH- M50s, however, ARE JUST DAMN PERFECT. Most amazing and enveloping sound I've heard from Headphone so far. I Paid for them $200 New Zealand dollars, and after listening them for a few weeks I would not hesitate to pay for them even $1000! That is how good they are. Just as a reference, I also own Sennheiser HD 555, Senn HD 238, Senn PX 100-II , Creative EP630, Creative EP830 , AKG K450 and (Fake) Bose OE. None of these can even remotely compare with Audio Technica.

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #45 of 396
Regardless, I am not going to let one negative review change half a year of researching and finding a good headphone in my budget. What I see a lot now are people saying the M50s are not as good as the hype surrounding them.

I guess it is just a matter of "To each his own." Not everyone likes the same kind of sound in their music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back