REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Mar 2, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #31 of 2,536
  And how do you know that top-tier IEMs like the UERM, K3003, and FI-BA-SS don't fall woefully short of the Roxanne?
very_evil_smiley.gif

By deduction.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #32 of 2,536

By deduction.
wink.gif

+1 

When I stated "woefully short", I was deducing based simply on cost - if a $60 IEM is not woefully short of a $1500 CIEM (do it blind, doesn't matter) then we all have to take a step back and reassess what it is we are doing. (Or buy stock in Ostry)

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #35 of 2,536
  Another question...Will the KC06A variant, of improved specifications, be of a higher price?

It seems like the price will be a little higher, but I don't think they've posted the price. It shouldn't be substantially higher, as it seems they're all around three hundred-ish RMB in price... I think I'll be buying a pair of the KC06A, and even if the older version might actually be more suitable for me, it wouldn't matter because I wouldn't know. Only if I feel it's really not my thing will I pass it off to someone else, I guess.

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #36 of 2,536
It seems like the price will be a little higher, but I don't think they've posted the price. It shouldn't be substantially higher, as it seems they're all around three hundred-ish RMB in price... I think I'll be buying a pair of the KC06A, and even if the older version might actually be more suitable for me, it wouldn't matter because I wouldn't know. Only if I feel it's really not my thing will I pass it off to someone else, I guess.

Hey, thanks for giving me a rough estimate! Appreciate it. I'll probs just go for the cheaper, original edition for my sake of having a budget IEM to replace my RE0.

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #38 of 2,536
^ Congrats, I'm pretty sure you'll like them! 
smile_phones.gif

Btw @zelda, is your KC06 a review sample? Just asking, because no one who's bought them so far got the red and white tips in your photograph. Only black tips included (not that I'd care anyway, I'm using TF10 tips).

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #39 of 2,536
^ Congrats, I'm pretty sure you'll like them!  :smile_phones:

Btw @zelda, is your KC06 a review sample? Just asking, because no one who's bought them so far got the red and white tips in your photograph. Only black tips included (not that I'd care anyway, I'm using TF10 tips).

Thanks! If they're what you guys have said in terms of musicality and detail in comparison to the Re0, I'm sure I'd like them. :)

How's the clarity and soundstage btw? Are they warm/dark or neutral like the re0? Or are they bright?

Brief few words are fine:) I've read the review, just edging for your opinion.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #40 of 2,536
Here's something I'd like to share about the KC06's tuning (please excuse the less than stellar picture quality).

As I posted earlier, these IEMs seem to be meticulously tuned via front and back vents:

When worn with the usual (silicone) tips, both vents remain open:

Since air escaping from the front vent has a similar effect to wearing an IEM with a loose seal, blocking that vent results in (significantly) more bass.

Here's how you can easily block that front vent, just use an additional foam tip underneath your regular tip:

Blocking that vent completely results in a lot more bass. However, bass quality and low end clarity takes a noticeable hit.

So, what we want to try next is more subtle. We'll try to boost that bass just a little bit...
For this mod, you'll need a tip with larger bore size than your KC06 tip:

Slide that tip from the opposite side on top of your KC06 tip:

The second tip remains reversed and creates an air chamber above the front vent.
Thus it acts like a spring against the leakage from the vent, resulting in mildly boosted bass.
Since the effect is only mild, most of the original quality is retained. (Note that the rear vent is still open.)

I personally think that the KC06's stock tuning is petty much perfect. But those who'd like to coax a little more bass out of them, might want to try this mod.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #41 of 2,536
Heh... I know which tips to use for the KC06A... the RedGiant red core "acoustic" tips... they have a tendency to almost "absorb" residual bass decay and thin out thicker sound signatures...
Plus, they'll look great with the red/grey theme of the KC06A... perfect!

(ClieOS' picture, not mine)

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #42 of 2,536
Heh... I know which tips to use for the KC06A... the RedGiant red core "acoustic" tips... they have a tendency to almost "absorb" residual bass decay and thin out thicker sound signatures...
Plus, they'll look great with the red/grey theme of the KC06A... perfect!

(ClieOS' picture, not mine)

What IEMs does ClieOS have there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back