REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Feb 23, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #2,401 of 2,536
Awesome @rickdohc - great impressions, and I'm glad you are enjoying them! Looking forward to your impressions going forward as well.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,402 of 2,536
  Awesome @rickdohc - great impressions, and I'm glad you are enjoying them! Looking forward to your impressions going forward as well.

Thanks man for recomending me the Ostrys.... such a nice IEM
I am also waiting for the Tenores and Basso, so i will also give some impresions as soon i have them burned.

Also,  i must say that i was not expecting the VS to sound that good, i like them a lot,  my only problem at this moment is that the treble is a bit agresive, but they sound very nice.

The only thing i dont like about the Ostrys is the straight cable,  my concern is that i may break them to easy.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #2,403 of 2,536
  First,  thanks to Ink for selling me the KC06a,  great seller.
Second,  English is not my first language, so i apologize for my bad english and will try me best to give my impressiones.

This week i recived KC06, KC06a and VSD3S,  i also got the TTpod1,  Pistons, MH1 and a bunch of cheap Iems.

Quote:

+1. Muy Bien Amigo! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,404 of 2,536
  First,  thanks to Ink for selling me the KC06a,  great seller.
Second,  English is not my first language, so i apologize for my bad english and will try me best to give my impressiones.

This week i recived KC06, KC06a and VSD3S,  i also got the TTpod1,  Pistons, MH1 and a bunch of cheap Iems.

About the Bass on the KC06
After reading this thread, its a bit misleading all the talk about the lack of bass on the KC06,  i am not a basshead but i dont like iems that are lacking in that area,  i am comming from JVC S500's, i also have Bass heavy headphones like the XB500,  Beats Studio,  and this KC06 have no problems at all with bass.   The A's have more bass, but i am spending more time with the KC06 because the sound is overall more refined,  the Bass has more texture and its easy to listen the diference between the notes of a Bass Guitar and Kickdrum, even the the drum toms.  i was expecting a Iem lacking bass and the reality was diferent.

Ostrys vs Pistons 2.0
After 2 hours listening both, the KC06 and the KC06a, i switched to the Pistons and it sounds horrible, i even thought they where broken so i tried them with all my sources and the music i always listen to. They are not broken,  its that they are a few steps below on SQ compared to the Ostrys.  Bass is a mess, almost like a "one note bass", no texture, no definition,  slow and overpowering.  Overall its sounds like there is a "hole in the mids and sounds a bit "hollow",  soundstage is smaller, the treble is "sparky" and unrefined.  I Bought them from Penon so they are not fakes.
Pistones Personal Score:  6.2

Ostrys Vs TTpod T1
IMHO i always liked the T1 over the Pistons, mids are more foward and the treble is nicer.  But they got nothing on the Ostrys, the even sound "unnatural", the bass is better than the Pistons but not even close to the Ostrys. They sound "cheap" compared to the Ostrys.
TTpod Personal Score:  7

Ostrys vs MH1
The Sonys sounds better than the Pistons and T1's,  but once you listen for a few hours the Ostrys and try the Mh1,  tthe sound is a bit more "thiner", the bass does not have the same quality as the Ostrys, the Ostrys are better than the MH1. I am not sure how to define it, but its like the Ostrys sound has more weight, more witdh.  I dont know how to define in english what i am hearing on the Ostrys, but its like comparing the sound of the Marshall Tube Amp versus a Peavy Solid State 15watts amp,  Those who play guitar may know what i am talking about.  Mh1 sound nice, but i got spoiled with the Ostrys.
MH1 Personal Score 7.3

Ostrys vs Vsonics VSD3S
I am still burning tht VS, so the only opinion so far is that the treble is a bit "Sparky",  i will burn them 100 hours just in case it helps,  but i doubt it.  No score for now.

Ostrys Vs Monoprice
Are you joking?   i have 4 MP,  i learned about "tip rolling" with thos iems,  i learned about comply tips and even bought "Radians" to make a custom fit.  Got to be the most overrated iem i have ever bought,  its sounds decent even with the best seal i found.  If you are poor,  a cheap person buy them but they are not worthy when you fact in that you need to buy tips.  Even after buying/finding the correct tip and seal,  the housing is huge and hurts my ears,  the cable is the worst nightmare ever,  i would rather buy a cheap JVC iem like the FX67 thatn those MP.
I wont even bother giving them a score.

IMHO and my personal preferences,  Both Ostrys are the better phones i have and i would score them with a 8.5 in my personal scale.   Its like coming from 21 inch plasma with a 800x720 resolution and  buying a new 60inch TV with an ultra high definition.

I am very happing after pursching the Ostrys,  its a big step foward on SQ over all my old phones.  I am going to buy the Havi's and give my impressions as soon as i get them.  So if you are like me, coming from Pistons,  TTpods and all that stuff and is still on the fance, get down, sell a few things and buy the Ostrys, they are worth every penny and even more.

:)

Damnit, I should have gone with the regular KC06. The KC06a has too much bass for my liking, and I would also love a bit more refinement.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #2,405 of 2,536
  Damnit, I should have gone with the regular KC06. The KC06a has too much bass for my liking, and I would also love a bit more refinement.

Ok, i am listening to this with boths Ostrys:

Snarky Puppy,  Lingus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc

There is less bass on the KC06 but man,  you can hear clearly the diference between the kick drum and the bass guitar,  the faster parts and when it gets "busy",  you dont miss a beat with the KC06,  its like the details on all the percusions and bass guitars are comming from straight into you face.  The guy on the piano is doing all that crazy stuff on hes solo but you can hear the kick drum, those that are musicians and have played on a band know that particular sound of the kickdrum when you hit it, i dont know how its called in english, but its the "plastic" thing?.. you get a high pitch when you kick the drum.. so there is the impact on the drum but that "plastic" sound like you are hearing it live.  With the KC06a it gets lost a little bit because the bass is louder, but still audible, but much more details with the KC06.  IMHO the bass is perfect.   ITs like 75-80% bass of the a's

I hope you guys enjoy that band..   those guys are out of this world.
The Drummer Larnel Lewis.  Piano player  Corey Henry.... SICK!

PD: The gray headphones,  an1 know the name?

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #2,406 of 2,536

Snarky Puppy,  Lingus.

Listening to that now and sounding very cool. Edit: fantastic!

The headphones appear to be "Silent Disco" headphones, which seems to be affiliated with... wait for it... actual silent discos! Whacky..

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #2,407 of 2,536

Listening to that now and sounding very cool.

The headphones appear to be "Silent Disco" headphones, which seems to be affiliated with... wait for it... actual silent discos! Whacky..

Makes no sense why are the using thase phones.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #2,408 of 2,536

Snarky Puppy,  Lingus.

There is less bass on the KC06 but man,  you can hear clearly the diference between the kick drum and the bass guitar,  the faster parts and when it gets "busy",  you dont miss a beat with the KC06,  its like the details on all the percusions and bass guitars are comming from straight into you face.  The guy on the piano is doing all that crazy stuff on hes solo but you can hear the kick drum, those that are musicians and have played on a band know that particular sound of the kickdrum when you hit it, i dont know how its called in english, but its the "plastic" thing?.. you get a high pitch when you kick the drum.. so there is the impact on the drum but that "plastic" sound like you are hearing it live.  With the KC06a it gets lost a little bit because the bass is louder, but still audible, but much more details with the KC06.  IMHO the bass is perfect.   ITs like 75-80% bass of the a's

Yes, I saw Cory Henry (keyboardist of Snarky Puppy) at the Winter NAMM 2015 KORG pre-launch show. He's a super awesome performer.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #2,409 of 2,536
Yes, I saw Cory Henry (keyboardist of Snarky Puppy) at the Winter NAMM 2015 KORG pre-launch show. He's a super awesome performer.

Yup, when he started playing in the above video, I was mesmerized. He's a freak (but in a good way of course!).

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #2,410 of 2,536
The sound quality on those Youtube videos is very good,  you can see the sound engineers going crazy back there. haha.

Few things:

- VSD3S are still burning, they have about 15 hours, i still dont find them better sounding than either of the Ostrys.  Maybe 1 or 2 days more and i will continue with the "Tip Rolling" thing.   They are very good but still not on par or better than the Ostrys,  the Ostrys strikes me with their clarity even when the Vsonics have more treble,  when i switch from the Ostrys to the Vsonics they sound a bit veiled.   I am going to keep with the tip rolling but i am not that sure if that is going to help, i am under de impresion that the Ostrys are simply better.

- What headphone can you guys recomend with the same or very similar SQ as the Ostrys under $100?  is it posible at that price range?

Thanks.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,411 of 2,536
^duoza for $80us + 19.99 shipping = $99.99 which is under $100 :)

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,413 of 2,536
  The sound quality on those Youtube videos is very good,  you can see the sound engineers going crazy back there. haha.

Few things:

- VSD3S are still burning, they have about 15 hours, i still dont find them better sounding than either of the Ostrys.  Maybe 1 or 2 days more and i will continue with the "Tip Rolling" thing.   They are very good but still not on par or better than the Ostrys,  the Ostrys strikes me with their clarity even when the Vsonics have more treble,  when i switch from the Ostrys to the Vsonics they sound a bit veiled.   I am going to keep with the tip rolling but i am not that sure if that is going to help, i am under de impresion that the Ostrys are simply better.

- What headphone can you guys recomend with the same or very similar SQ as the Ostrys under $100?  is it posible at that price range?

Thanks.

I think it's more that the VSD5s are just so dry. Edit - I'm dumb. 

I will say I'm always taken aback by how good the Ostry's sound if I haven't listened to them for a while. There must be a psychological term for it, where I expect a big SQ drop off because it's so much cheaper than what I was just using. My friend tried it then bought the KC06A(he liked the idea of the KC06 plus MOAR BASS) so I'll be trying that one out soon.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,414 of 2,536

Few things:

Thanks.

If I switch between my Creative Aurvana Live, and my KC06a, the Ostry's sound a bit veiled :p

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,415 of 2,536
ok, i found tips that are giving me the best sound on the VSD's... but still a bit behind the Ostrys in "Clarity" and "openess sound",   Ostrys sound more "stereo"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back