REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Jul 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2,191 of 2,536
Not even going to pretend like I know what I'm talking about here, but would there be subharmonics or undertones that could be affected ever so slightly, if only to nitpick?

Don't know about subharmoncs, but I tried the undertones and they sounded great.
tongue_smile.gif

(just J/K, I have no idea! :wink:

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2,192 of 2,536
It never bothered me either but I figured I might as well try the mod for fun. 

I think the KC06's presentation of vocals makes you forget if any sub-bass is missing. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,193 of 2,536
Its been 2 months I think, having my Ostrys. My impressions towards them have not changed one bit. Regardless of the $60 pricing they really are a steal. I have been auditioning quite some gear lately like ath im50, im70 and ckr9s and ckr10s , yamaha eph 100 and even westones um50.

To me the im50s are very bassy. Bass is definitely bigger than the ostrys. Its even bloated into the mids for someone like me who takes mids and clarity seriously is a no go since its V shaped. I have really grown into the bass of the ostrys, at first I thought the bass was not satisfying. Being new to this hobby you are always finding and learning something new as you go. But then i discovered how good the bass was after some time. Its tight and accurate with good textures although a lil more impact would be nice. Something which the Ostry KC06A was made for.

Now for the im70s. They actually impressed me. I thought it was a good improvement over the im50s. The im70s has definitely more clarity, better mids(upper mids) and clearer highs compared to the im50s. The detail retrieval was actually good although probably not as good as tiers like er4s or N4 but was better than most at its price. It should be said that I auditioned all these with dx90 at the shop. Comparing my ostry to the im70s I understood why some people would have prefered that to the ostrys. It sounded a lot fuller and rich. Low end department performed better than the ostrys IMO. The deep bass, stronger impact yet tight may give some a lot more satisfaction. But to me the godly vocals of the ostrys lead me to prefer the ostry more based solely on female vocals. I listen to alot of female tracks especially mainstream music. The clearer mids and especially airier vocals is my personal preference. Although the im70s are like twice the price of the ostrys shows how good the ostrys are 
tongue.gif

Moving on to the ckrs series. Its a whole different ball game for me. I was very very impressed especially with the ckr9s. I thought upon auditioning the ckr9s with dx90, that this was a proper upgrade to the ostrys. And it seemed like what I have been looking for. Despite my love for the ostry's vocals. I dare say the ckr9s mids and vocals are alot more godly to me. They sounded alot more fuller and richer. They have the best bass quality I have ever heard in an iem its fast,accurate. Its like you hear the clear mids sound and very detailed highs yet not fatiguing at all but when the song calls for bass. It comes and deliver very very deep and tight and does not affect the mids and highs at all. Its amazing. But then it should be noted that the ckr9s are priced well above the ostrys. If someone asked me to rank how much of a percentage are ostrys of ckr9s? I'd say 80%. The ostrys are just that good for its price. Its just that the ckr9s fills the gap where the ostrys should improve.

Btw I was so impressed of the ckr9s that I ordered mine yesterday and it should be here soon. My dx90 will be here somewhere next week. Can't wait 
ksc75smile.gif

The ostrys are still a keeper for me; has been and will always be 
beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2,194 of 2,536
  Moving on to the ckrs series. Its a whole different ball game for me. I was very very impressed especially with the ckr9s. I thought upon auditioning the ckr9s with dx90, that this was a proper upgrade to the ostrys. And it seemed like what I have been looking for. Despite my love for the ostry's vocals. I dare say the ckr9s mids and vocals are alot more godly to me. They sounded alot more fuller and richer. They have the best bass quality I have ever heard in an iem its fast,accurate. Its like you hear the clear mids sound and very detailed highs yet not fatiguing at all but when the song calls for bass. It comes and deliver very very deep and tight and does not affect the mids and highs at all. Its amazing. But then it should be noted that the ckr9s are priced well above the ostrys. If someone asked me to rank how much of a percentage are ostrys of ckr9s? I'd say 80%. The ostrys are just that good for its price. Its just that the ckr9s fills the gap where the ostrys should improve.

Btw I was so impressed of the ckr9s that I ordered mine yesterday and it should be here soon. My dx90 will be here somewhere next week. Can't wait 
ksc75smile.gif

The ostrys are still a keeper for me; has been and will always be 
beerchug.gif

Price aside, any other reasons not wanting to buy CKR10 instead?

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,195 of 2,536
  Price aside, any other reasons not wanting to buy CKR10 instead?

I solicited his opinions on that and he told me that he much preferred the bass/mids on the 9 to the 10. Said he felt the bass was tighter/quicker on the 9 and the mids and vocal reproduction of the 9 was superior to the 10.  I should be getting the 9 in tomorrow so it'll be interesting to compare it to the rest of my stuff including the KC06

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #2,196 of 2,536

ksc75smile.gif

I've read a lot of amazing stuff about the ckr9's, so this doesn't surprise me! Nice that the kc06's still manage to well in comparison though (80% for $60 ain't bad!).

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #2,197 of 2,536

I solicited his opinions on that and he told me that he much preferred the bass/mids on the 9 to the 10. Said he felt the bass was tighter/quicker on the 9 and the mids and vocal reproduction of the 9 was superior to the 10.  I should be getting the 9 in tomorrow so it'll be interesting to compare it to the rest of my stuff including the KC06

Awesome! Will be waiting eagerly for your impressions 
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2,198 of 2,536

True that. These are just my personal preference. I can see many liking the CKR10s because of its bigger bass and vocals are also good too but just lack that airy bit from the ckr9s. Maybe this is due to its somehow thicker sound. Its surely warm sounding as compared to ckrs9 which I thought  had more emphasize on uppermids, together with its detailed smooth and extended highs and deep tight bass. I could not find any fault. And me being me, mids and airier vocals are always going to be priority. Just like I like my ostrys.
Both are very good iem, both has good soundstage and gave very good sense of space perhaps because of dx90?. The look of the shiny alluminium (10s) looked very sleek. I loved it. Both I think have slightly different signature. One (10s) being thicker and warm sounding and the other (ckr9) being more 'natural and livelier' ( Earfonia review). Since I can't afford both my decision will go for the ckr9s. At end of the day its how they sound to you and how they match your preferences. One thing I have learnt about this new hobby of mine is always try it out first. Despite specs and techs, its how they really sound to your ears 
gs1000.gif

I am looking forward to your initial impressions. I really hope you like them 
beerchug.gif

I've read a lot of amazing stuff about the ckr9's, so this doesn't surprise me! Nice that the kc06's still manage to well in comparison though (80% for $60 ain't bad!).

haha the 80% is just how i rate them, means nothing more. Like you've noticed,I do rate the ostrys really high. Someone like Peter who prefers his tenores more to the ostry would rate it way lower.

Long live the Ostrys.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2,199 of 2,536
  haha the 80% is just how i rate them, means nothing more. Like you've noticed,I do rate the ostrys really high. Someone like Peter who prefers his tenores more to the ostry would rate it way lower.

Long live the Ostrys.

I rate the kc06's very highly as well, so your 80% rating works for me. Looking forward to what else they come up with, and long live the Ostry's indeed!
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #2,200 of 2,536

I rate the kc06's very highly as well, so your 80% rating works for me. Looking forward to what else they come up with, and long live the Ostry's indeed!
beerchug.gif

Yup me too! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #2,205 of 2,536
For those that didn't know, there was an earlier silver version of the KC06, which I believe was tried and reviewed by @bhazard.  It wasn't good.  In order to ensure you got the newer, updated (awesome) version, people were buying the gold one.  The risk of getting a silver one was that you couldn't be sure you got the awesome version.  

Nowadays however, I doubt there are any older versions left.  I myself bought a KC06 from Shenzhen Audio, the golds were sold out so I got a silver one.  I contacted them and they assured me that it was the upgraded version.  You can scroll back to see my reviews.. my silver KC06 is indeed awesome.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back