REVIEW: Ostry KC06
May 15, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,911 of 2,536
Just recieved my Ostry KC06 (silver) today-I must concur that these are a sweet sounding iem. They have a midrange and treble energy that my Pistons (IF edition) just can't touch. Obviously the Pistons have much more low bass and overall a thicker sound. Love them both. Have a seal issue on occasion but otherwise they are outstanding and highly recommended.

May 15, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,912 of 2,536
What other tips are good ?

Prior to the Heir tips I was using Sony Hybrids.  None of the stock tips did it for me.

May 15, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,913 of 2,536
I got the kc06 yesterday and they are great. dont let anyone downplay the bass as there is plenty of it. it may not have the warmth of a basshead iem but it is plentiful.
i agree with H20Fidelity, they give the dn1000 a run, but the dn1k still stands on top in terms of clarity, extension, space ect. personally the highs can get too much and the kc06 are very friendly.

i am still burning them in... what kind of improvements should i expect?

May 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,915 of 2,536
So, coming from the Carbo Basso, which is better out of the Ostry KC06A and JVC HA-FX850 (Two completely separate price brackets, I know, but I am curious) in the following areas:

- Comfort / Fit
- Isolation
- Build Quality
- Bass
- Mids
- Treble

May 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,916 of 2,536
So, coming from the Carbo Basso, which is better out of the [COLOR=FF0000]Ostry KC06A[/COLOR] and [COLOR=0000FF]JVC HA-FX850[/COLOR] (Two completely separate price brackets, I know, but I am curious) in the following areas:

- Comfort / Fit
- Isolation
- Build Quality
- Bass
- Mids
- Treble

I also have the bassos... If you don't want to lose bass the JVC are the way to go. The ostry have plentiful clean bass, With much cleaner sound. Good to have for rock etc.
Kc06 and basso would be a good pair-up to cover your bases.

May 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,917 of 2,536
So, coming from the Carbo Basso, which is better out of the [COLOR=FF0000]Ostry KC06A[/COLOR] and [COLOR=0000FF]JVC HA-FX850[/COLOR] (Two completely separate price brackets, I know, but I am curious) in the following areas:

- Comfort / Fit
- Isolation
- Build Quality
- Bass
- Mids
- Treble

comfort: KC06A. It's feather light. The 850 is comfortable for me, just heavier.
Isolation: haven't tested in depth. Neither was particularly bad.
Build quality: FX850 hands down. KC06A Feels very cheap and plasticy.

Still to early to be certain about the spectrum on the KC06A; However, I'll share a little.
It didn't pair so well from the HP out of the X3. The line out to a separate amp gave it an overall better balance. *(PRE-BURN-IN)*
The bass was very strong, punchy, great extension and rumble with a significant midbass hump that emphasizes the bass in the sound signature.
The Mids were smooth, warm and detailed but felt like they lack dynamic energy. They also sounded a step back from the lows and highs.
Highs: Forward, detailed, sparkly without sibilance. Lacks extension and has an emphasis (or peak) in the 2-5k range that has been rubbing me the wrong way.
Going line-out to a separate amp brought the Mids a little more forward and seemed to benefit the whole spectrum in small ways, but the overall characteristics remain the same.
Finding good synergy with the source chain is going to be key with these.

They are a solid buy, but their biggest fault is soundstage. To me, it's like a wall of sound. The FX850 is a stark contrast. Right now, with my usual rig, the FX850 outshines the KC06A in the majority of categories. More importantly, it fits my preferences better.
The FX850 is like a sweet, warm and loving embrace that leaves you fulfilled. The KC06A is like an intense one night stand that rocks your world but leaves you feeling sore but with a smile.
Both are currently burning in. We'll see how things change with different setups, tip rolling, etc.

May 16, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,918 of 2,536

Quote:
<snip>
Build quality: FX850 hands down. KC06A Feels very cheap and plasticy.
<snip>
They are a solid buy, but their biggest fault is soundstage. To me, it's like a wall of sound. 

KC06A cheap and plasticy surprises me. I wonder if they are different from the KC06's, because my KC06's don't feel cheap or plasticy at all (quite the opposite actually).

Also, I'm getting the opposite of "wall of sound" out of my KC06's as well - the soundstage is really quite good to me.

I am hoping that further burn in solves those issues for you, or that you can find a more synergistic source.

May 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,919 of 2,536
They are a solid buy, but their biggest fault is soundstage. To me, it's like a wall of sound. The FX850 is a stark contrast. Right now, with my usual rig, the FX850 outshines the KC06A in the majority of categories. More importantly, it fits my preferences better.

I tend to agree about the soundstage in that KC06 does not have much to write home about (I don't have KC06A).  I don't have the FX850 either, for that matter. 

The FX850 is like a sweet, warm and loving embrace that leaves you fulfilled. The KC06A is like an intense one night stand that rocks your world but leaves you feeling sore but with a smile.
Both are currently burning in. We'll see how things change with different setups, tip rolling, etc.

Hilarious analogy!  I prefer the bolded!

May 16, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #1,920 of 2,536
KC06A cheap and plasticy surprises me. I wonder if they are different from the KC06's, because my KC06's don't feel cheap or plasticy at all (quite the opposite actually).

Also, I'm getting the opposite of "wall of sound" out of my KC06's as well - the soundstage is really quite good to me.

I am hoping that further burn in solves those issues for you, or that you can find a more synergistic source.

The housing is likely the same. I just find that it feels like cheap plastic. That makes it light which is a solid plus in my book. I don't think it will break or anything, it's simply how it feels to me.
I'll openly admit that I'm not a fan of the cables. It's rubbery coating gives it a spring and bounce that just isn't to my liking. It does look good and will probably hold up better for having it.
Despite the 4 sources I've tested so far, the soundstage hasn't changed in any significant way. It still remains mediocre. There are still plenty if pros for someone to love this earphone, but stage simply isn't one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back