Review of my 5 DIY amplifiers. 2012/03/21: Bottlehead Smack and new analyses
Jan 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #61 of 69
Fantastic job here!

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Smack and the S.E.X. amp in signature, coloration, soundstage, imaging and headphone compatibility/synergy? Any feedback would be nice.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #63 of 69
I didn't see it on the Bottlehead site so I assumed it was out of production. There should be some already made you could buy however.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #64 of 69
I got one of their very first kits and still haven't found the time to put it together 
ph34r.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #66 of 69
I've gotten as far as painting the plate and transformer bell (which turned out really nice if I do say so), and ordering some Neutrik jacks. I'm trying to decide if I want to put a 4-pin XLR in there as well; thinking I'll replace the rear XLRs with XLR/TRS combo jacks and replace the front TRS with the 4-pin XLR. I was really hoping to find some time over the holidays to start it, but obviously that didn't happen. 

I guess I'll get to it when I get to it. It might depend how all my other sales go. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #67 of 69
I ordered a Smack last year (one of the very last shipped) and enjoyed putting it together. I am very happy with its performance but I do find the noise a bit disturbing when I hook up a pair of low impedance headphones like the Audio Technica AD2000. With the HD800, it works fine and the noise is hardly audible.

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #69 of 69
How do HD800 work with Minimax, please? Is it the right tube amp for it? I didnt make any Tube amp yet, only OPAs... I like that minimax is low voltage.

Resurrecting this thread after 7 years. I have been using a Hagerman Audio Castanet for over a year and think it's one of the nicest sounding headphone amp's I've ever heard. I purchased mine from Jim Hagerman after he moved on to a Hagerman Audio Tuba (his latest headphone amp). This was serial number one of the Castanet/ HA10, and built by Jim. He used it for 12 years before selling it. I did not realize how rare these amp's are until after I had purchased mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back