Review of Darzamat - Transkarpatia
Dec 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
So, to get right back into the swing of things, I'm going to jump into a review of Gothic/Symphonic Metal band Darzamat.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/0/5/8/105873.jpg

1.Sanguinarius01:23
2.Vampiric Prose03:26
3.Hallucinations03:57
4.Inhumatus01:08
5.The Burning Times04:43
6.Letter to Hell03:30
7.Blackward04:02
8.Recurring Yell05:11w
9.Araneum00:50
10.Labyrinth of Anxiety03:56
11.Virus05:27[
12.The Old Form of Worship02:52[
13.Tempted by Rot04:36
14.Tribute to...05:1
Total playing time50:19

So, this is a 2005 release from this band, who I was surprised I've never heard of until this point. Of course, they are from Poland and I'm not really up on the whole Polish music scene. In any case, I was pleasantly surprised when I began listening to this.

For those of you who are familiar with the genre of Gothic Metal, or Symphonic Metal in general, you will be familiar with the keyboards, synthesizers, and haunting female vocals that are present on this album. I want you to imagine taking the atmosphere of Cradle of Filth back in the days of Dusk and Her Embrace up until maybe Damnation and Day. Add this to the male vocal styles of Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir and the singing style of Sara Jezebel Deva from COF. Then add some cheesy interlude songs spoken by a woman with a heavy polish accent about the witch inquisitions of the late middle ages. There, you have Darazamat.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images...2129_photo.jpg

Now, the music itself is great. Very fast paced, like I said reminding me of middle of the road Cradle of Filth work. All the people involved with this project have more than proficient skill on their instruments and do well in attaining the kind of atmosphere that they were going for. The clean female vocals balance out the mid-range male growling and would probably keep those who do not enjoy all growling music interested.

One thing that does set this apart from a good deal of mainstream gothic metal bands is the use of guitar solos, which, while they aren't anything of Eddie Van Halen caliber, are well placed and well executed.

In short, keep this album in mind if you want a fairly high caliber Gothic metal release. They are becoming more and more accessible with the popularity of bands like Nightwish and Lacuna Coil. And while this particular band sounds almost nothing like those mentioned, they are a good introduction into the semi-hard heavy metal scene.

Cheers!

Zach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back