Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 14, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #646 of 3,060
  Hi all, I'm quite new in the the audio world and I just wanted to make sure this is correct. If i were to use my Sony Xperia Z1, which is my only source for portable use, the Im02 would be a poor choice to pair with it correct? Also, I know the review said that the Galaxy S2 sounded best with the Im50 and Im70 so if Im02 is not powered great by the Sony Xperia Z1 would the Im70 be the next best choice? I don't know if this would help but I mainly listen to punk rock, indie rock, and pop. Thanks.

My advice is to go audition all the 3 models in a store with your Xperia Z1.
I have the exact same setup as you with my Z1 as the primary source (Poweramp player) and after auditioning IM50/70 and IM02, I have decided to go for IM02 in the end.

It just sings more to my ears as I was looking for clearer mids (upgrading from my previous Weston 1).
These are really crystal clear when it comes to mids, instruments separation and vocals. I mainly listen to alternative rock, indie and pop. IM02 has zero issues driving these genres from Z1.

For the IM50/70, my initial impressions of them are that the casing is abit too big and bulky for my ears. IM02 is slightly slimmer and more comfortable for me.

At that point of time, IM02 was sold out everywhere in my country, Singapore. I have to place an order on Rakuten, albeit saving a few monies during their free shipping campaign. I'm using the stock tips at the moment and no issues here as well regarding comfort.

However, one man's meat is another's poison. Your mileage may vary.
Better to try them out first IMHO.
My 2 cents :)

May 14, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #647 of 3,060
However, one man's meat is another's poison. Your mileage may vary.
Better to try them out first IMHO.
My 2 cents :)

lol, you forgot "everyone hears differently" 
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #648 of 3,060
He's got a point though - I tried the entire IM series in one sitting, and the IM50 was my favorite by far, hands-down, no contest.

Everyone hears differently...LOL
L3000.gif

Cool, thanks for the info. Wow, 5.7mm, that's hauuge. I take it Sony Hybrids (my second choice for CK10) fit? Ta

Yes, I'm using Sony Hybrids with my IM50 now.

May 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #649 of 3,060
  Hi all, I'm quite new in the the audio world and I just wanted to make sure this is correct. If i were to use my Sony Xperia Z1, which is my only source for portable use, the Im02 would be a poor choice to pair with it correct? Also, I know the review said that the Galaxy S2 sounded best with the Im50 and Im70 so if Im02 is not powered great by the Sony Xperia Z1 would the Im70 be the next best choice? I don't know if this would help but I mainly listen to punk rock, indie rock, and pop. Thanks.

Yes, correct!
I'm not sure of the value Xperia Z1 output impedance, but smartphones generally have high output impedance on the headphone output, so might not match the requirement of IM02.
Get IM50, save money and be happy :wink:

May 14, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #650 of 3,060

Yes, correct!
I'm not sure of the value Xperia Z1 output impedance, but smartphones generally have high output impedance on the headphone output, so might not match the requirement of IM02.
Get IM50, save money and be happy :wink:

2 ohms according to some Russian site.  My S4 is 1.2  I believe iphone 4 was around 1  iphone 5 is 4

AK240 is 3-4

May 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #653 of 3,060
  He's got a point though - I tried the entire IM series in one sitting, and the IM50 was my favorite by far, hands-down, no contest.

Everyone hears differently...LOL
L3000.gif

Yes, I'm using Sony Hybrids with my IM50 now.

My impression was that im50 jumps out at you with the nice texture and hard slamming bass, while still having decent highs, nice v shaped enjoyed by many music lovers. Accuracy wise the 02 or 03 sounds more audiophile grade.

May 14, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #654 of 3,060
THEY'RE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ksc75smile.gif

I is going to love these. I can feel it! 
biggrin.gif

Edit: What mystical nonsense befallen my setup now? I switched sound cards and the volume was right at the perfect level as opposed to being loud as all heck as I had them for my speakers. This things are singing quite well out of the box with Wintersun! They are perfect And I haven't even changed the tips yet ! 

May 14, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #655 of 3,060
  THEY'RE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ksc75smile.gif

I is going to love these. I can feel it! 
biggrin.gif

Edit: What mystical nonsense befallen my setup now? I switched sound cards and the volume was right at the perfect level as opposed to being loud as all heck as I had them for my speakers. This things are singing quite well out of the box with Wintersun! They are perfect And I haven't even changed the tips yet ! 

Congraaats!

For the sound, build quality, detachable cable, and the price.... IM50 and IM70 are no brainer.  They are going to be some of the legendary AT earphones :)

May 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #656 of 3,060

My impression was that im50 jumps out at you with the nice texture and hard slamming bass, while still having decent highs, nice v shaped enjoyed by many music lovers. Accuracy wise the 02 or 03 sounds more audiophile grade.

I was also surprised by how well the IM50 tolerates and responds to EQ. I often spike the highest band (14-16kHz) and the IM50 would still maintain its composure. Some other ATH products in the same general price range fall apart if you do that.

The IM01-04 are all very good in their own way, definitely more audiophile grade and better value than Sony's XBA series... But the IM50 feels a little more legendary. My guess is it's a calculated blockbuster response to the influx of "great bang for the buck" Chinese brands we see on HF... and they remind me of the M50 cans.

And they call this puppy love :p

May 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #657 of 3,060
THEY'RE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ksc75smile:

I is going to love these. I can feel it! :D  

Enjoy these beauties :smile:

Congraaats!

For the sound, build quality, detachable cable, and the price.... IM50 and IM70 are no brainer.  They are going to be some of the legendary AT earphones :)

I totally agree. These are great value for money, even though I overpaid as I got hit with a customs charge, they are still worth it! :D

May 14, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #658 of 3,060
Wow thanks for all the replies guys! Well there isn't a place for me to really test these but I think I'm about ready to decide on which ones to get. If these questions could just be answered I think I can finalize my decision. On the Im02, I know it's analytic but is there enough bass to be used on bass heavy songs and have it be enjoyable? Is the Im50/Im70 far behind the Im02 in terms of separation and details? Now for my last question, in the review it said that the Im02 does not do very well with not the best recording; would it be useless to get them then since most of the music I would be listening to would be MP3 downloads?
Sorry for spamming the thread with questions, but I just want to say again thanks! 

May 15, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #659 of 3,060
  Wow thanks for all the replies guys! Well there isn't a place for me to really test these but I think I'm about ready to decide on which ones to get. If these questions could just be answered I think I can finalize my decision. On the Im02, I know it's analytic but is there enough bass to be used on bass heavy songs and have it be enjoyable? Is the Im50/Im70 far behind the Im02 in terms of separation and details? Now for my last question, in the review it said that the Im02 does not do very well with not the best recording; would it be useless to get them then since most of the music I would be listening to would be MP3 downloads?
Sorry for spamming the thread with questions, but I just want to say again thanks! 

Depend a lot on what music you listen.  Yes, IM50 and IM70 are not as detailed as IM02, but not far behind.  And it doesn't mean that IM02 is better for all type of recordings.  For Pop and Vocal, I prefer the IM50 and IM70.  For classical orchestra I prefer IM02.

IM02 is very revealing, and will reveal recording quality without mercy. Recording quality is not related with the file format, MP3 or FLAC or DSD.  Bad recording in DSD128 format will sound worse than 192kbps MP3 of a good recording.  Don't confuse recording quality and file format.  They are not related at all.

May 16, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #660 of 3,060
I just got my IM02 yesterday. Love them so far. They are very picky about what music sounds good with them. But certian types of music, mostly non bass heavy electronic is epicly PERFECT for these. 
My local 100Volt man store had the entire line out for trial use. I have had my eyes on these since the first week you posted this massive write up. 
I didn't listen to all of analytical. I think you put it. 

Sound wise these fit a a PERFECT niche in my small collection. Fidelio X1s: open back. super airy. decent bass. Great for acoustical music. really good for gaming and pretty good for all types of music. 
V-moda M100s. Amazing for gaming. bass is out of this world. Any music that relies heavily on bass is perfect for this. Airier than any of my non-audiophile headphone, but no where near as airy as the X1s. 
IM02s. RIGHT there in your head sound. While pretty much horrible for that Chess Box blues I like so much (Muddy Waters, Bo Diddly, etc) it is perfect for IDM, ambient, and lots of other electronic music that isn't bass heavy (ie, skrilix, daft punk, chemical brothers, prodigy, etc). 
I think of IDM, my favorite type of music as very analytical sounding to begin with, and these IEMs fit it perfectly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back