Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #301 of 3,060
I just got the im02 on impulse after losing my klipsch S4 at the Singapore airport. Didn't really wanted to spend so much on it since i got a Dt880, es7 at home. I also sold off my esw9 not too long back. I got the im02 on impulse and im glad that Ath has live up to my expectation again.

I paired the im02 with Magni amp with line out from fiio e17 and the SQ is much better than plugging it straight to the headphone jack of my Samsung note2. It has more power, faster, bass punch deeper than without amp. But nonetheless, even without amp, it is much better than my klipsch s4. To be honest, i find the klipsch s4 over rated with harsh trebles, and quite a V-shaped signature. Klipsch s4 is very worth its price only when amazon has sale and selling it for only 10usd. Im02 is better than s4 in every single department without amping.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #302 of 3,060
Would the IM02 fit me? What i'm looking for is something with intimate and warmish mids/vocals, treble with good sparkle but not sibilant/harsh, with good extension and air. Also, a decent soundstage with airy vocals, and good speed/instrument seperation (for rock/metal/complex music).

Any help will be appreciated.     

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #303 of 3,060
do give it an audition if u have time as SQ is quite subjective. IMO, the vocals are not intimate, but rather more of upfront along with the treble. Vocals are very good and presents how it should sound. If you have listen to audio technica before, their best is definetely in the vocals department. definitely not much coloration and thus, not warmth in nature, but they are analytical. They present how the vocals should sound in the file. Trebles are good and extent well and are very smooth, but do not sparkle, thus its quite easy to listen to without being fatigueing.
Bass is abit on the low side and bass head might be disappointed. But since i prefer not so much bass, its good enough for me.

Another amazing thing about im02 is its sound stage. If u are looking for good sound stage, im02 will not dissapoint u. It seems to have better sound stage and instrumental seperation than my ath es7. (Note that i am comparing headphones to iem for the soundstage.)

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #304 of 3,060
Got my IM70 yesterday and for me the comply tips suck.  They fit a little better, but muffles everything up.  The olives sound much better even on my moto x phone.  When plugged into my schiit bifrost uber/valhalla stack, it sounds really nice.  Even better than a pair of ue 900 I had before.  I just never liked those at all which is why I sold them and got a senneheiser hd650 then sold that for a pair of beyerdynamic T1.  Yeah I got the head fi sickness right away  so this time I went with a cheap, but still better than bottom of the barrel IM70.  I really like it, but yet I'm thinking what if I got the IM03.  Would that have the sound that I thought I was going to get with the UE 900?  I really shouldn't come on here and look at other stuff when what I have is already good.  But all of you know better.  You have to keep buying more stuff to get that last ounce of sound you're looking for.  And I'm still proud of myself not buying over 2k or more of amp/dac.  lol

So for the guys who have heard the IM02 and IM03, which one is better for rock, metal, and 80s cheesy music?  And yeah I'm already looking into portable amps too. :frowning2:  Someone please ban me from this website!

Is the AT cable that is sold separately with the mic for ios or android?  I'm guessing ios because android guys always get the shaft!

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #305 of 3,060
  Got my IM70 yesterday and for me the comply tips suck.  They fit a little better, but muffles everything up.  The olives sound much better even on my moto x phone.  When plugged into my schiit bifrost uber/valhalla stack, it sounds really nice.  Even better than a pair of ue 900 I had before.  I just never liked those at all which is why I sold them and got a senneheiser hd650 then sold that for a pair of beyerdynamic T1.  Yeah I got the head fi sickness right away  so this time I went with a cheap, but still better than bottom of the barrel IM70.  I really like it, but yet I'm thinking what if I got the IM03.  Would that have the sound that I thought I was going to get with the UE 900?  I really shouldn't come on here and look at other stuff when what I have is already good.  But all of you know better.  You have to keep buying more stuff to get that last ounce of sound you're looking for.  And I'm still proud of myself not buying over 2k or more of amp/dac.  lol

So for the guys who have heard the IM02 and IM03, which one is better for rock, metal, and 80s cheesy music?  And yeah I'm already looking into portable amps too. :frowning2:  Someone please ban me from this website!

Is the AT cable that is sold separately with the mic for ios or android?  I'm guessing ios because android guys always get the shaft!

Don't hurry up and do some tips rolling. Maybe this is said million times but I will repeat again because it is the most important thing for IM50/70s. You'd better find soft wide bore tips like Sony hybrids or Mh650c tips. If you still don't like the sound you can go with IM02/03.

Keep in mind that there is always "ifs" in this hobby. That's why we are here, damn.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #307 of 3,060
I just got the im02 on impulse after losing my klipsch S4 at the Singapore airport. Didn't really wanted to spend so much on it since i got a Dt880, es7 at home. I also sold off my esw9 not too long back. I got the im02 on impulse and im glad that Ath has live up to my expectation again.

I paired the im02 with Magni amp with line out from fiio e17 and the SQ is much better than plugging it straight to the headphone jack of my Samsung note2. It has more power, faster, bass punch deeper than without amp. But nonetheless, even without amp, it is much better than my klipsch s4. To be honest, i find the klipsch s4 over rated with harsh trebles, and quite a V-shaped signature. Klipsch s4 is very worth its price only when amazon has sale and selling it for only 10usd. Im02 is better than s4 in every single department without amping.

+1

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #309 of 3,060

Sorry I might missed your earlier post, do you mind to share where you bought the cable from?
Thanks a lot for the impression!

i bought it from amazon jp. it cost me 8590yen for cable + 1390yen for tenso forwarding service >.<

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #312 of 3,060
I find their silicon tips is still acceptable, but their comply is horrible. It sounds worse than silicon tips. I cant imagine why a tip that is supposedly to give better SQ is doing just the opposite of what it is intended.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #313 of 3,060
I find their silicon tips is still acceptable, but their comply is horrible. It sounds worse than silicon tips. I cant imagine why a tip that is supposedly to give better SQ is doing just the opposite of what it is intended.

I think the silicone tips are fine for the IM50, but I agree about the complys. I think I only ever used them once and was shocked at how much worse the sound quality was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back