Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Oct 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #2,326 of 3,060
215 is dynamic (micro driver)....

They do islolate better than the IM70 though. The IM70 however is is a different league soundwise so not easy.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #2,329 of 3,060
Im-50 is dynamic, and so dynamic drivers have vent ports. These vent ports allow outside sound to leak in, which result in less isolation. BA drivers need no vent ports. So it seals better and isolate better, if isolation was the priority.

Both the ATHIM70 and ATHIM02 look the same construction wise, I can't see the vents in the pictures at all. Thank for pointing that out.

How much difference is there soundwise between SE215 and SE425? The former seems highly rated, does that just reflect a much better cost v benefit return?

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #2,332 of 3,060
215 is dynamic (micro driver)....

They do islolate better than the IM70 though. The IM70 however is is a different league soundwise so not easy.

In what way are they different league, Is IM70 better sounding?

earfonia, how would you compare the sound of these to SE215 (which sits on #2 position on Head Fi charts), SE425 or even SE525? 

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #2,333 of 3,060
No, IM-03 is excellent with smartphone and iPads. But it is a little neutral and transparent, if you are more of a neutral and details folk, it is excellent. If you are bass lover, do go IM-04

I disagree. The IM03 is lighter and airier than the 04, but it has SO MUCH BASS. Now, I wouldn't call it a bass-head earphone. But then, I wouldn't call the IM04 one either. They are both fairly neutral while favoring the sub frequencies a bit. The 04 does even more of that, of course. It is dark.

PS. I do agree about the IM03 being driven well on any device. :)

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,334 of 3,060
I disagree. The IM03 is lighter and airier than the 04, but it has SO MUCH BASS. Now, I wouldn't call it a bass-head earphone. But then, I wouldn't call the IM04 one either. They are both fairly neutral while favoring the sub frequencies a bit. The 04 does even more of that, of course. It is dark.

PS. I do agree about the IM03 being driven well on any device. :)

We are both on the same page lol. Just different words ? To clarify, the 04 is darker yes, also more bass than 03, which makes it good for bass lover.....now, specifically just "bass-head" ? I think IM-50 is the best, and strictly talking within ATH IM series

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,336 of 3,060
Not from me. I haven't listened to either of those. I can't tell you how they compare to Shure, I can only tell you how good the IM03 and 04 are. They're very, very good.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #2,337 of 3,060
Interestingly earfonia from ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, & ATH-IM03 has picked ATH-IM02 as the best value among the three. Personally I don't think that I will get much out of spending almost double on ATHIM04 and pairing it with iPhone or iPad. Reading the reviews suggest that it needs a right kind of amp.

That leaves me between  ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, & ATH-IM03

and

ATH-IM50 & ATH-IM70

Reading the comments from earfonia on page 1

They have pretty good clarity too, no muddy midrange like I use to hear with other bass heavy IEMs. Both have smooth & organic sound signature, with very good & realistic dynamic. Vocal is very beautiful on IM50 & IM70, full bodied, nice balance between warmness & smoothness, with good clarity and silky smooth treble that extends pretty high. Although clarity is good, IM50 & IM70 are not as airy & transparent as the IM02 & IM03, and they are not the analytical type.

I am little confused with the words not as airy & transparent, I know the audio can be difficult to express in words and only way to find out is to try and compare. What really is "airy" and "transparent"?

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #2,339 of 3,060
Actually, IM-04 sounds very decent with the recent I-devices. I listen to it through IPad Air 2, iPhone 5s/6/6 plus, and it is pretty good. Only from IPhone 4S and the sound was more like a little muffled, congested.

One question arise though. Does Audio Technica make their own BA drivers ? Or only Sony does so ?

Thanks

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #2,340 of 3,060
How are the compared to your Klipsch X7i? Have you tried the ATH-IM03 on your Samsung Galaxy? How does the sound differ once you switch it from FiiO X5 Classic?

Good questions. You're making me work here. :)

First off, the X7i (50 Ohms) is harder to drive than the IM03 (34 Ohms), and yet my Galaxy does just fine. Plenty of power and dynamics. There really aren't any IEMs that can't be driven sufficiently by smartphones. You have to get up to around 100 Ohms before they even struggle.

The FiiO X5 delivers, yes, a lot more power, but it's in the quality of the sound that makes it worth getting off the smartphone for your music listening. It's a lot smoother, more musical, with a much wider soundstage. Of course, the iPhone sounds better than the Samsung Galaxy, but even the iPhone fails to compete against a good DAP. Though, some will argue that fact.

In terms of IEM quality, the IM03 honestly mops the floor with the X7i. The Klipsch is dead flat neutral. Some folk love that. You, being a BEATS fellow, probably won't. I quite like the X7i. It sounds amazing for a single driver earphone. The IM03 has three drivers. And friend, let me say, you can bloody well hear it. Also, it's less neutral than the X7, sounding warmer, thanks to a lot more bass. The three drivers create a layering effect to the music which washes over you, immersing you in the audio. I'd never heard anything like it before.

The airy quality refers to a balance of treble and bass that opens up the mids so they breathe and feel properly exposed. I'm not sure you'll ever understand until you hear this phenomenon yourself. I know I struggled with it until I had a really nice set of headphones. Transparency is kind of a meaningless word we all use way too much. :cool: All it means is the gear renders a sound that's so unobtrusive that the equipment simply disappears, leaving only you and the music. There are many degrees of transparency.

The most profound praise I can give the IM03 is that I am still enraptured by them, whenever I get a chance to use them again. I've since moved on to the JH Audio Angie, which is a $1099. Angie is certainly better in every way, however... there ain't nothing wrong with my IM03.
:basshead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back