Review: NAD Viso HP50
Feb 1, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #32 of 184
That's an odd observation considering the vast majority of reviews/opinions I've read suggest the Momentums to be one of the bass-heaviest in this category (closed back, portable, price). Many have said so in direct comparison to the p7.

The P7 do have a distinct hump in the low-to-mid bass which could be what he's referring to.  The HP50 don't have this hump, although the HP50 are a bit too warm for me in the midrange, something the P7 doesn't have despite being recessed slightly. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #33 of 184
  ...I honestly think the HP50 is one of the best headphones that my ears have had the pleasure of listening to. I've heard the Sennheiser HD 800, HD 650, JH13 Pro, Westone ES5 and a few other top tier headphones or IEM's and though they all sounded draw droppingly amazing; they don't incorporate all of the traits and characteristics that the HP50 possesses.

The HP50 to my ears are just as strikingly clear and accurate as the top headphones that I have heard. 

The HP50's bass extends deep and it's incredibly controlled and textured.

Here [in the midrange], the HP 50's offers this in spades giving a well-proportioned, exceptionally balanced and crystal clear presentation. Also, it takes it further because of its spatial presentation being so expansive, the vocalists sound as if they are actually in front of you, personally singing to you. It's a sort of like euphoric 3D experience that you have to hear in order to understand. The RoomFeel tech is no gimmick.

The treble is well articulate with a hint of roll off to give a natural presentation and reduce listening fatigue. This is the treble that I personally lust for. 

The soundstage size as well as the instrument separation of the HP50 is not something that is normally associated with a closed back headphone. It really sounds like a open back headphone with a presentation that is completely out of my head and very coherent; sort of 3D like. Detail rendition is also exceptional capturing the subtle textures and cues to really make the instruments and musical environment sound as if it is actually in front of you.

1 page later:

I ended up returning my pair of HP50's. 

Every time this thread gets bumped I have to laugh and remind myself that this website is mostly just a bunch of people shouting at the moon.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #34 of 184

1 page later:

Every time this thread gets bumped I have to laugh and remind myself that this website is mostly just a bunch of people shouting at the moon.

I must admit that I found the 360 degree change a little unexpected. No matter, I am going to give the HP50 a demo very soon at a local dealership and if I like them they will be my portables. In general I have been pleased with NAD gear and simply love my new NAD M3 integrated amplifier. I wish I could find a solution though to enable me to add an external headphone jack to the M3 as I think it would be more than adequate as a headphone amplifier. I don't want to spend money on a dedicated headphone amp now, but I do miss having headphones at home! Any thoughts on how to add an external headphone jack?

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #35 of 184
If most people accept the view that the hp50's are the leading phone below $300... Does anyone know or offer a view on whether something like the The Mr Speakers Alpha Dog is a step up worth making at the next price bracket up of $600?

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #36 of 184
If most people accept the view that the hp50's are the leading phone below $300... Does anyone know or offer a view on whether something like the The Mr Speakers Alpha Dog is a step up worth making at the next price bracket up of $600?

I think the K545 might give the HP50 a slight run for its money.  Especially for those that might find the HP50 a little too warm and smooth, lacking slightly in the high end :wink: 

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #37 of 184
I got one for a month, in Thailand only about $250. I prefer HP50 than my first and previous Grado SR225i. However I can't why. These are my second over/on ears.
Yes, confirm that at this price these are a steal!

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #38 of 184
Has anyone compared the sonics of the NAD HP50 head to head with the Sennheiser HD650?
If so, how do they compare in bass, midrange, treble, soundstaging, and frequency balance?
Thanks.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #39 of 184
I love this headphone. I have been auditioning it for a couple months now and cannot wait to get it.

I have listened to both, (I own the 650's) I would say the HP50's are definitely warmer. Treble and mids seem brighter but not quite as refined. But that is not to say they aren't fabulous on the HP50. The bass is very good, accurate and defined. No muddiness. Soundstage is fantastic. Frequency does drop off after 10k according to the charts (http://stereos.about.com/od/accessoriesheadphones/ss/NAD-Viso-HP-50-Measurements.htm)

I am going to use the HP50 for my portable rig because it is so easy to drive. They sound VERY similar to the PSB M4U 1 or 2, which I also love the sound signature, but for me the comfort of the HP50 is so much better. 

Hope this helps. 

-Mike

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #40 of 184
  I love this headphone. I have been auditioning it for a couple months now and cannot wait to get it.

I have listened to both, (I own the 650's) I would say the HP50's are definitely warmer. Treble and mids seem brighter but not quite as refined. But that is not to say they aren't fabulous on the HP50. The bass is very good, accurate and defined. No muddiness. Soundstage is fantastic. Frequency does drop off after 10k according to the charts (http://stereos.about.com/od/accessoriesheadphones/ss/NAD-Viso-HP-50-Measurements.htm)

I am going to use the HP50 for my portable rig because it is so easy to drive. They sound VERY similar to the PSB M4U 1 or 2, which I also love the sound signature, but for me the comfort of the HP50 is so much better. 

Hope this helps. 

-Mike

Hi Mike, the 650s are certainly warm, and if the HP50s are warmer yet I am unclear how the treble and mids can seem brighter. These things go against themselves, could you perhaps clarify your points? Thanks.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #42 of 184
Sonic Defender,

Hmm to clarify, I personally think the accuracy, finesse, resolution is superior on the HD650 when compared to the HP50.
However, the HP50 will have a somewhat better tonal character overall---punchier bass, a bit more lively, mids/treble very lush and present ---relative to the more laid back sound of the 650. For me the HP 50 is definitely a fun headphone, and can be driven by anything. 

-Mike

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #43 of 184
Sonic Defender,

[COLOR=333333]Hmm to clarify, I personally think the accuracy, finesse, resolution is superior on the HD650 when compared to the HP50.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]However, the HP50 will have a somewhat better tonal character overall---punchier bass, a bit more lively, mids/treble very lush and present ---relative to the more laid back sound of the 650. For me the HP 50 is definitely a fun headphone, and can be driven by anything. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]-Mike[/COLOR]

just got these today...well, they certainly blow away the similarly priced Bose qc15....easier to drive also, which was a surprise. They sounded full of vim and vigour...with much clearer separation, realism in the vocals and bass instruments...along with good isolation and comfort...not bad for £229

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #44 of 184
I really enjoyed the comments that were made on this thread and even some of the sarcasm.  I normally only buy iems and headphones that my son wants to trade, however I have a birthday coming up and was going to reward myself with something that looks awkward enough that he will not want.  Maybe awkward is not the right word, but certainly not sleek and cool like the V-Moda products we have.  I should say that we have Westone (3 Gold, UM3X), V-Moda (M-100, M-80, LP2, Bass Freqs, Vibe) and Klipsch (S3, S4, S3M and for a short while X7i) but I wanted something more balanced.  I was considering

Momentum
PSB M4U
H50
Ultrasone HFI 780 (with S-Logic, so how cool is that)

I think the discussion of the H50 is not going to decide it is the ULTIMATE but it does give credance to being a very good headphone.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #45 of 184
What about how do the NAD VISO HP50's compare head to head with the Sennheiser HD600's in bass, midrange, treble, imaging, and frequency balance, etc?
What about in absolute neutrality.
Any comments or comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back