Review: Meilun Bluetooth Sports Headphones
Aug 1, 2016 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Peddler

1000+ Head-Fier
Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
First things first. These are inexpensive bluetooth earbuds. They retail on Amazon for just over 16 quid which makes them very good value for money.

Features wise they have pretty much the same features and facilities that can be found on pretty much all the other bluetooth earbuds out there. Controls for volume up/down track skip forward/backward, play/pause, phone answer/hang up and a micro USB socket for charging.

Amongst the headphones in my collection I have the superb Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10’s and Audio Technica ATH M50x so I know what good sounding headphones sound like.

Where the H-07’s stand out from their peers is in their sound quality. Unlike their competitors, they have a really nicely balanced sound. The bass is not excessive and overblown - rather detailed and tuneful. The mids are there and not recessed and the treble is detailed without being excessive and tiring. They definitely share a similar sound characteristic with the Triple Fi’s and when you consider the difference in price, that’s quite a compliment to pay them. They are certainly enjoyable to listen to and have the definite advantage of being inexpensive - if you break them when you’re out and about you’re not going to weep too many real tears.

Obviously their sound quality greatly depends on how well you can get them to fit. I struggled to get a good seal in my right ear and their insertion depth isn’t as deep as I would have liked. I have a rather embarrassingly large collection of spare eartips from all the different earbuds I have and managed to find a set which offered the right amount of seal and firmness which helped get them far enough into my ears without struggling and therefore achieve a good seal.

They go pretty loud. Good news is that they keep their sound coherence when played loud. You don’t feel that they are running out of steam and they don’t suffer with excessive distortion. Their flat characteristic does allow you to listen to music quite loud without fear of your eyeballs being blown out with excessive bass.

Like most earbud type bluetooth headsets you can’t go too far away from your phone without losing the signal but they actually do perform better than other similarly priced bluetooth buds when it comes to walking the dog with my phone in my pocket. They didn’t suffer any drop outs when using them this way and it’s only when you start to walk around the house where you will experience drop outs after a few paces. The larger bluetooth headphones definitely have the edge when it comes to range.

The control buttons are sensibly placed given the size of the earbuds but it’s very easy to accidentally track skip backwards when you actually meant to turn up the volume. Speaking of volume, the controls increase/decrease the volume in pretty large steps. With this in mind I tend to set to volume quite high on the earbuds themselves and then use the volume controls on my phone for ‘fine tuning’. The Power/Play/Pause control is easier to get at though and you should be able to quickly access that control rather than continually removing and inserting your earphones when people are talking to you. They also don’t isolate outside noise as much as some of the other earbud type headphones out there.

I took the H07’s to work with me today -  listening to a combination of books (via Goggle’s excellent text to speech processing engine) and music. They went loud enough to help drown out the sound of my truck engine (although they do let a little sound in which is a good thing). The battery easily lasted all day so no worries there. My boss could hear me fine when I used them in telephone mode and they simultaneously paired to both my Android phone and the nasty cheap phone used for work without any problems.

All in all, I really like these headphones. For some people they may sound a little ‘bland’ but that’s because they’re not tuned to be excessive in the frequency extremes. They go loud without distortion and I find that I can listen to them for long periods without fatigue.  I was sent a pair of these for free in return for an honest review. Had I have purchased them at their full retail price I wouldn’t have been disappointed.

Pros:
Good sound quality. Slightly better range than its peers. Balanced tone from bass to treble. Good volume.

Cons:
Feel cheap (fair enough - they are). Shallow insertion depth. Tiny buttons take a bit of getting used to.

Meilun Sports Headphones Amazon Page.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HJA4OLY

Equipment Used:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2:
My primary listening source when portable. Whilst this is a fairly old phone it does have some excellent music playback capabilities thanks to the use of the Wolfson chipset and the excellent Neutron audio player. Sometimes the bluetooth performance can leave a little to be desired but works well most of the time.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.5:
This device is completely stock and un-rooted. When using bluetooth headphones there’s really no difference in sound between this and the Galaxy Note 2.

Sony Smartwatch 3:
Used to test the overall compatibility of bluetooth headphones but actually sounds as good as the other players regarding overall sound quality. Slightly geeky but what the hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back