REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Nov 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #616 of 835
The Concerto is a super amp and works well with my T1 but the LCD2 is what I use it with. The Decware tube CSP-2 takes the T1 600 ohms to another place as does the Concerto for the LCD2 but it performs very  nice with my T1 and has good synergy.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #617 of 835

Quote:
The Concerto is a super amp and works well with my T1 but the LCD2 is what I use it with. The Decware tube CSP-2 takes the T1 600 ohms to another place as does the Concerto for the LCD2 but it performs very  nice with my T1 and has good synergy.

Agreed...as much as I enjoy my 600 ohm T1s with my Concerto, I use them about 95% of the time with my MAD tube amp.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #618 of 835
Quote:
Nice to read that, Reputator, and lovely pic as well (is that one of them, whaddaya call it, kitchen paper towel holders, you're using as a "headphone stand" for your DT990???)

Indeed it is! Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say.

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #619 of 835

I have packed the Concerto & T1 ready to ship back to Jan when he gets home after his well deserved break. I am really sorry to not have enjoyed this setup more, but am afraid that adding a StageDac would not change my experience greatly... 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #621 of 835
Quote:
Is it pair well with K701?

I personally don't think so. You can refer to my earlier post in this thread for more specifics.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #622 of 835
Can anyone comment on the Concerto VS Phoenix? I know skylab has that combo, and I'd like to know a little bit more.  I think skylab mentioned SE vs SE the concerto is a significantly better amp. Any other comments? How does it compare balanced vs SE?

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #623 of 835
SE for SE the Concerto is a better VALUE. Don't think I even said the Concerto was significantly better.

I no longer have the Phoenix though.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #624 of 835

Quote:
Can anyone comment on the Concerto VS Phoenix? I know skylab has that combo, and I'd like to know a little bit more.  I think skylab mentioned SE vs SE the concerto is a significantly better amp. Any other comments? How does it compare balanced vs SE?

Never had both at the same time. I would say the SE on the phoenix is better, but I have no way of verifying this. There is seemingly more energy and impact w/ phoenix, but again its not like I matched volumes and etc. The concerto seemed a little clearer, but the phoenix kicks really hard and overall has better detail.

I always wanted to turn the volume up on the concerto, whereas with the phoenix I am happy keeping at a given position... but again lol could just be the lower positions are louder relative to the concerto.

Either way you will be a very happy man. Bare in mind you are only using half of the phoenix if you use SE... Going balanced is a snap is your headphones have 4 conductor cables though... if not the concerto surely is the better deal, because the sound is very close and if you don't need xlr there is a lot of wasted options on the phoenix.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #625 of 835

Quote:
SE for SE the Concerto is a better VALUE. Don't think I even said the Concerto was significantly better.

I no longer have the Phoenix though.

Quote:
Never had both at the same time. I would say the SE on the phoenix is better, but I have no way of verifying this. There is seemingly more energy and impact w/ phoenix, but again its not like I matched volumes and etc. The concerto seemed a little clearer, but the phoenix kicks really hard and overall has better detail.

I always wanted to turn the volume up on the concerto, whereas with the phoenix I am happy keeping at a given position... but again lol could just be the lower positions are louder relative to the concerto.

Either way you will be a very happy man. Bare in mind you are only using half of the phoenix if you use SE... Going balanced is a snap is your headphones have 4 conductor cables though... if not the concerto surely is the better deal, because the sound is very close and if you don't need xlr there is a lot of wasted options on the phoenix.

Thank you both very much for the quick replies! I have a ROC, and was thinking about upgrading. Your comments really helped quell my upgraditis
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #626 of 835

Quote:
Thank you both very much for the quick replies! I have a ROC, and was thinking about upgrading. Your comments really helped quell my upgraditis
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO, I would just stick with your sources, and use them to their fullest... you have a great dac and a great amp... why not start balancing your fav headphones? The LCD-2 and DX000 are a breeze to balance.... I don't see why you would want an SE upgrade when you already have the capacity for full balance... and the concerto is surely more of a sidegrade then a true upgrade.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #627 of 835

Quote:
IMO, I would just stick with your sources, and use them to their fullest... you have a great dac and a great amp... why not start balancing your fav headphones? The LCD-2 and DX000 are a breeze to balance.... I don't see why you would want an SE upgrade when you already have the capacity for full balance... and the concerto is surely more of a sidegrade then a true upgrade.

As soon as I can I want to balance the d7000 I have. I had a chance just a few days ago to balance the stock cable on the LCD-2. World of difference for them.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #630 of 835

Quote:
I just read so many great things about the active balance in the Meier designs that I was really intrigued by how they would compare to other balanced amps.

active ground and actually balanced design are two very different things... one amp has 4 ch and one has 3... one amp is using all 4 ch to amplify the music, one amp is only really using 2 and the third to clean up the signal. The Concerto is not a balanced amp, but it is nonetheless excellent.

Definitely a superb amp, but I don't see what good it could do for you with your current set up, save make a nice collection addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back