REVIEW: Keces DA-151 DAC 800+ hours burn-in
Mar 25, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #61 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll try to take some pics and do a short review later when i get home from work. dont expect much since i dont have the audiophile lingo of headphoneus supremuses. i've used super pro dac 70 usb, diyeden svdac04, and emu 0404 previously.

Any more updates?

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #62 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll try to take some pics and do a short review later when i get home from work. i've used super pro dac 70 usb, diyeden svdac04, and emu 0404 previously.

This would be an amazing comparison. Can't wait to see it compared to the EMU!
biggrin.gif
Thank you very much, keep us updated.

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #63 of 311
I will (hopefully) be able to compare my Keces to an 0404 by Apr. 19th at the Chicago meet.

Impressions will certainly follow.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #65 of 311
me thinks i should postpone my dac purchase until some of these comparative reviews come out.

a quick question:

has anyone tried plugging their cans directly into the line out using a rca-to-mini adaptor?

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #66 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by booom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

a quick question:

has anyone tried plugging their cans directly into the line out using a rca-to-mini adaptor?

I don't believe you can do this on the KECES DA-151, as it is a line-level SOURCE. It has a fixed output (probably somewhere between 2-2.2 volts at the RCA line-outs...Maniac, maybe you could clarify??) As a result, you would need to add an amp to control the volume.

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #67 of 311
Indeed some users have tried to use it to drive headphone directly, and the result is not optimal, and nor do we recommend that.

It have an output impedance of about 100~200ohm, which is very low for a line source, but way too high for driving headphones. Not to mention that the volume control via computer is quite damaging to sound quality (which is why I told almost every DA-151 buyer to set volume to 100%).

It is best to use another amp to control the volume and drive your headphone, it would result in much better sound than letting DAC drive it directly.

Thanks.

David Wei

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #69 of 311
I've just setup mine, it definately sounds crisp and it's more detailed than the iBasso D1 DAC, however I think it lacks punch(?), and impact...

Either way I need to burn-in the DAC and the interconnects, I'm sure it'll get much better later on...

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #71 of 311
Mine should be here tomorrow or Saturday and will post some thoughts after proper burn-in.

This has been a great week for me, but a bad one for my wallet.

So far this week I got the HD650s, a DA-151, and a Darkvoice 332. I think I am all set now for my home rig.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #73 of 311
Quick shipment. Just got it setup with less than 1 hour so far. I only have the ibasso D2 (stock opamps) DAC section to compare against. Currently I am running it through the input (amp only section) of the ibasso D2.

Compared to the D2 it is definitely clearer, crisper, punchier, and much much faster. Wakes up my HD650. When I switch back to the D2 DAC it sounds slow, much slower, and a litter darker. The Keces has a lot better separation too. Though one thing that is lacking is the deeper bass I hear in the D2. I think this is mainly due to burn-in.

You really have to take everything I said with a grain of salt because the Keces is not even close to being burned in. I just wanted to post some initial impressions and to keep the thread going.

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #75 of 311
psc001, in my opinion the gilmore lite is a great amp to match with this dac, it's transparent and really shows the qualities of the keces dac (crisp, rich details, fast)

Again, mine only has little hours, so it's far from being burned in...
I can now notice much more detail than with my ibasso d1, things that I had never heard before in songs are now apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back