Review: JDS Labs O2 (Black edition) + O2/ODAC discussion
Dec 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #16 of 543
Good job on the review mate, ignore the troll and enjoy your amp.

I have the O2 running MadDogs, JH16, JVC S500 and ,MDR-F1.

With the exception of the F1, it sounds great with all of them.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #17 of 543
I am happy to accept people's opinions, as you can see above, this forum is great, I see no need to argue with someone over taste, it's futile.

Glad to see everyone enjoying their O2's, I really am impressed at how I can plug nearly any headphone in and it just sounds clean and clear.

Keep enjoying the music guys! That's what it's all about

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #18 of 543
Quote:
I am happy to accept people's opinions, as you can see above, this forum is great, I see no need to argue with someone over taste, it's futile.

Glad to see everyone enjoying their O2's, I really am impressed at how I can plug nearly any headphone in and it just sounds clean and clear.

Keep enjoying the music guys! That's what it's all about

Yep, I did a O2 vs. FiiO E11. No contest
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #19 of 543
Fiio E11 is a great beginner's amp, but no contest vs O2 or C421

I do like the fact that the O2 is backed up with objective specifications, it leaves us to do the subjective listening and describing

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #20 of 543
I use the O2 to power the Maddogs ortho and they sing beautifully. You obviously dont know what youre talking about as I am an ex owner of the 650 and they do not pair well with all amps. Its the nature of the beast in this game.Theres no single amp that goes well with every headphone and its not their fault.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #21 of 543
Quote:
I use the O2 to power the Maddogs ortho and they sing beautifully. You obviously dont know what youre talking about as I am an ex owner of the 650 and they do not pair well with all amps. Its the nature of the beast in this game.Theres no single amp that goes well with every headphone and its not their fault.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There's no need to attack someone just because he doesn't agree with you.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 543
As I said before, this is all subjective, each to his own

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #23 of 543
No attack here but just explaining that not everything is compatible with everything. There is a thing as synergy. My hifiman He-6 are proof of that.He should different headphones and see for himself. No silver bullets in audio.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #24 of 543
Actually it's 18v... And yes the HD650 is crap IMO, outdated, veiled and too warm. Complete opposite to what I like, I enjoy a accurate sound.

This is my opinion, I didn't even really like the HD700, I also found it a little warm, but more detailed.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #25 of 543
Quote:
Sure, the HD650 may not pair well with an O2 for the sound signature you prefer (which is probably not neutral despite your going on about neutrality) but in reality the O2 is merely demonstrating the true nature of the HD650: and you don't like it.

This seems to be the problem. If someone doesn't like the sound of a headphone with a flat, low distortion amp the person doesn't like the headphone. Saying it's the amp's fault is absurd.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #26 of 543
This seems to be the problem. If someone doesn't like the sound of a headphone with a flat, low distortion amp the person doesn't like the headphone. Saying it's the amp's fault is absurd.

Yes, it really does help to have a clue as to what neutrality sounds like. It was one of my motivations for getting the etymotics. All the headphones that I've heard (including my orthos) warble in volume all over the frequency range.

Putting an increasing frequency sine wave tone through etymotics and what you hear is a outrageous flatness. The frequency graphs don't do them justice: they are as flat as pancakes except at their very limits. A technological tour de force.

And they are cold and thin (until you get used to them). Personally, I prefer a bit of bass boost, and since etymotics have almost no distortion even at high volume, they equalise marvellously, 7db at 50Hz. Banging bass.

Warmth? Just boost the mid bass a bit.

Until you have heard a genuinely flat headphone out of a transparent/neutral source then one's opinion is meaningless and uninformed.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #27 of 543
Been keeping up with this thread, again great job randomkid.  With all this different talk about neutrality and whatnot with the HD650s, I just have three questions for you guys and hopefully the OP would not mind since it is relevant to the thread.

1) Does this amp drive the HD650s efficiently/properly?

2) If #1 is "yes" do they synergize well with this amp (not too much of anything in the spectrum and clean sound)?

3) What sources are you guys using with the O2 & HD650?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers!!!

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #28 of 543
Been keeping up with this thread, again great job randomkid.  With all this different talk about neutrality and whatnot with the HD650s, I just have three questions for you guys and hopefully the OP would not mind since it is relevant to the thread.

1) Does this amp drive the HD650s efficiently/properly?

2) If #1 is "yes" do they synergize well with this amp (not too much of anything in the spectrum and clean sound)?

3) What sources are you guys using with the O2 & HD650?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers!!!

1 - yes it can drive the HD650 fine and properly

2 - synergy depends on what sound you like, I'm not a fan of the HD650, but did find that they sound alright out of the O2 as they are a little warm and veiled, O2 makes them sound a little cleaner and detailed than a warm tube amp (too warm then)

3 - ipod classic LOD playing lossless most of the time, untill I get a good DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back