[Review] InEar SD-2, a $450 dual driver IEM worth every penny to my ears.
Oct 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 164
I just got a pair of these in today by accident (ordered the SD-3 but the vendor sent me the SD-2 :confused: ). Gotta say, I do like what I hear so far... Hmm, should I send them back for the SD-3 or get reimbursed the difference? Decisions...

If you find you need more bass then yes. If you prefer the more balanced sound of the SD2, then no. Most people say it boils down to preference.

As long as you don't lose money, it depends on you.

I am not a basshead, so I would probably choose the SD2. Only my 2 cents.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #17 of 164
  Great review ! Thx

Thanks for reading!

First of all, good review. One of the few about the SD2.

On my last trip to Taiwan, I auditioned the SD2 quite extensively alongside the ie800, SUI, FIBASS and other rather high end universals.

Yet I constantly found myself going back to the SD2 for reference. Although it doesn't have sound signature which spontaniously fully appreciate, I was struck how well the sound was executed.
It was completely spike-free and had an astonishing sense of space for an iem with such good isolation. The SD2 has incredible separation (especially for an only dual BA setup).

From all iems I tried during those 2 days, the SD2 (and the UERM) were the only ones I would like to have bought on the spot.

If I were to critisise the SD2, I would say that it lacks treble extension, sparkle and speed. I found that in some faster tracks, although evertyhing was very well seperated and clean, it lacked the attack which I would have loved to hear.
I currently use an ER4 so take that as you will.
Also the price is imo high for a dual BA, univeral iem which, although very comfortable, is not very 'pretty' to look at.

I am quite sure that I will aquire this iem at some stage, as it left me with a lasting impression (I don't say this lightly).

Definitely underrated....

Thanks for sharing your views! I'll agree the sound is a little too thick/rolled off compared to something more quick and bright, but I only feel that way when comparing them to something like the Ad2000.

I just got a pair of these in today by accident (ordered the SD-3 but the vendor sent me the SD-2
confused.gif
). Gotta say, I do like what I hear so far... Hmm, should I send them back for the SD-3 or get reimbursed the difference? Decisions...

I would get the money difference. I believe the SD-2 to be the better IEM.

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #19 of 164
Ended up deciding to keep the SD-2 and got the difference in price refunded.

Initial impressions off the Taurus (not exactly a great pairing since I can hear what sounds like transformer hum, probably too much gain):

1. Good overall balance. Bass seems to extend down well, no noticeable mid bass hump. 
  2. Mids aren't recessed. No glare in the upper mid range, and no sign of sibilance.
  3. Call me crazy but it kind of reminds me of a stock HE-500.
  4. Fit is surprisingly good. I was worried the housing might be a bit uncomfortable but that was not the case. This is kind of making me want to try some proper customs out...

Not too shabby.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #21 of 164
Ended up deciding to keep the SD-2 and got the difference in price refunded.

Initial impressions off the Taurus (not exactly a great pairing since I can hear what sounds like transformer hum, probably too much gain):

• Good overall balance. Bass seems to extend down well, no noticeable mid bass hump. 
  • Mids aren't recessed. No glare in the upper mid range, and no sign of sibilance.
  • Call me crazy but it kind of reminds me of a stock HE-500.
  • Fit is surprisingly good. I was worried the housing might be a bit uncomfortable but that was not the case. This is kind of making me want to try some proper customs out...

Not too shabby.

Good decision.

People seem to be often surprised by the fit of the SD2.
I personally found them the most comfortable universal i have ever tried.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #22 of 164

I used sd3 but I THINK the most important real problem fit ( I did not use long time )  , sound was amazing by the way ...

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #25 of 164
  Would you consider these a sidestep or an upgrade to the UM3x w/ a SXC24 cable from ALO (which I believe will work in SD series)?

Sorry, I can't answer that.

Great review! 

I bought my SD-2s two months ago for an upgrade from Se215, and I'm really impressed by it' sound signature

I know a guy who did the same and said the SE215 sound really poor in comparison. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #26 of 164
I know a guy who did the same and said the SE215 sound really poor in comparison. 

I brought a friend into audio a few years back. His first iem was the SE215 and when i tried them, i found them to sound like a huge boom.
These are of course only very faint memories. But i also would find the SD2 hugely superior.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #27 of 164
what about compared to the shure 535? That was one other option i looked at (not in person) before getting the sd-2 (again no trial before...just from talking to Joker)

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #29 of 164
what about compared to the shure 535? That was one other option i looked at (not in person) before getting the sd-2 (again no trial before...just from talking to Joker)

I found that the vocals on the 535 seemed out of focus when compared to the SD2, phase issue perhaps.
The 535 had more treble (energy) but also seemed less clean in the mids. All in all the SD2 seemed more refined.

Although the 535 weren't bad per se, at similar prices, i would also pick the SD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back