REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Oct 13, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #1,006 of 1,670

Quote:
If my memory serves me right, I think Icon HDP has a jumper on the board to allow the gain to be reduced by half, which will help with those in-ears (email to support, don't pm me if you want to try the jumper approach).  I have to check with engineering again, I do recall that the issue is not as simple as providing a gain switch. Basically you would be reducing the gain so that noise won't be heard, but that will affect the sound quality.  I was told that the headphone amp circuit should be redesigned to match in-ears.  People buy in-ears for portability so they should just get uDAC-2.

Well, as I mentioned in this thread before, it's easy to lower the computer's system volume a little bit if using the USB DAC in order to more easily use the HDP with IEM.  It's really only a problem using in ears with S/PDIF sources, or high output sources feeding the analog inputs.  But it's not a huge problem and a person could also use a Shure or Westone volume attenuator with the IEM to drop the volume just a few dB as well, and thus keep the volume knob above the point of hearing an imbalance without it playing too loud.  

In the end, a slightly better volume pot might make the customers happier than messing with the gain or redesigning the amp.  I wouldn't expect it to have a pot as nice as the one in my Woo WA6, but the pot in my WA6 is so good that I can use any very sensitive low impedance in ear at extremely low volumes, and yet the amp still has enough gain to drive and HD800 effortlessly at the other end of the volume knob.

I agree that most often people buy an IEM to be more portable.  But sometimes people buy in ears because they offer a high performance to cost ratio, where a full size phone with the same quality sound might cost 2-3x more than the in ear.  Or, they might need the extra noise isolation.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #1,007 of 1,670
Got the HDP recently. I hear noticeable hiss with my Grado SR225i and Etymotic ER-4P at low listening volume, but not much with my AKG K701. My previous dac/amp, the Musiland MD10, had practically no hiss at all regardless of which phone was connected. In that sense, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed since it is cheaper and from China.

But the HDP still sounds pretty nice, and most likely a step up from the MD10, except for the hiss, where it's a step down.

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #1,008 of 1,670

Quote:
 The HDP headphone amp is probably on the level of (and reminds me of) the $690 Grahm Slee Solo SRG II that I borrowed and reviewed just a month ago; and it's only slightly below my $1250 maxed Woo WA6 with RCA 6DE7 and Sophia Princess 274B, or my $995 ALO Amphora headphone amps.

would you also think that HDP's amp section share sound signature like GS Solo II? (I mean it's not compare about quality, but more to signature)

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #1,009 of 1,670

Quote:
would you also think that HDP's amp section share sound signature like GS Solo II? (I mean it's not compare about quality, but more to signature)

I do not believe that they would share the same sound signature, but without looking at my notes and borrowing the SRG II again, I would have a difficult time describing the SRG II sound exactly (at least not better than I did in mrarroyo's SRG II thread).  The SRG II was a little more aggressive than my maxed Woo WA6, but I don't recall how much so.

The SRG II certainly was a step up from the SRG 1 which I enjoyed more than the NOVO, and while the SRG 1 was not so great with HD800 the SRG II was very enjoyable with them.  The HDP is also better with HD800 than the SRG 1, but I'm not sure it's as enjoyable with HD800 as I recall the SRG II being with them.  With other phones the HDP is more enjoyable to me than with HD800, and I do like the T1, HD600, HE-5 LE and LCD-2 with it.  I didn't ever get to try the T1 or LCD-2 on an SRG II to know if I'd like it more.  The original HE-5 is also not the best match with the HDP, and I believe that I did write about those with the SRG II in mrarroyo's thread.  

And, at least one user here compared my HDP to the SRG II and liked the SRG II more for it's bigger soundstage, but I don't recall what phones he used or what he thought about the rest of the sound signature.  And I should restate that my statements were based on memory and not direct comparison.  

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #1,010 of 1,670
With $450 as DAC (really good DAC) + amp combo, and its amp can achieve SRG level (or close to SRG at least), then that's good enough for me. Thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #1,011 of 1,670
Has anyone compared HDP using the stock power supply and an aftermarket power supply? If so, I would appreciate any impressions. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #1,013 of 1,670
Hello,

I just bought the HDP. My phones are dt 880/250. The problem is that I don't find the HDP doing much improvement to the dt 880. I can't almost tell any difference between the dt 880 straight out of my macbook/HDP with the dac section/HDP without the dac section. Are the dt880/250 just not that picky at source? Am I doing something wrong? All my music is lossless.

I Don't believe in the "burn in period", but still I did let the setup play for 48 hours non stop, just incase.

Please help me!

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,014 of 1,670

Quote:
Got the HDP recently. I hear noticeable hiss with my Grado SR225i and Etymotic ER-4P at low listening volume, but not much with my AKG K701. My previous dac/amp, the Musiland MD10, had practically no hiss at all regardless of which phone was connected. In that sense, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed since it is cheaper and from China.

But the HDP still sounds pretty nice, and most likely a step up from the MD10, except for the hiss, where it's a step down.

Forgot to mention that I confirm a channel imbalance at the 9 o'clock position for the HDP. But despite inherent hiss and imbalance issues with this model, I believe the sound quality and impact is improved over my Musliand MD-10.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #1,015 of 1,670

Quote:
Hello,

I just bought the HDP. My phones are dt 880/250. The problem is that I don't find the HDP doing much improvement to the dt 880. I can't almost tell any difference between the dt 880 straight out of my macbook/HDP with the dac section/HDP without the dac section. Are the dt880/250 just not that picky at source? Am I doing something wrong? All my music is lossless.

I Don't believe in the "burn in period", but still I did let the setup play for 48 hours non stop, just incase.

Please help me!

I also have the dt880/250. I was thinking about buying the HDP sometime soon, thinking it will be an improvement for my LD MKIII. Does anyone else feel that the HDP does nothing to improve the dt880? 

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #1,016 of 1,670

Quote:
Hello,

Please help me!

Quote:
I also have the dt880/250. I was thinking about buying the HDP sometime soon, thinking it will be an improvement for my LD MKIII. Does anyone else feel that the HDP does nothing to improve the dt880? 

I'd like to add that, if I crank up the volume to very loud levels (1:30-3:00 a clock) there is more noticeable difference. Anyhow I get some major tinnitus and fatigue of doing that. So it is also possible that the dt880 is too bright/edgy for me.  

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #1,017 of 1,670
The DT990 may be a better match for the HDP, which has a reputation for having a somewhat bright signature on it's own.

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #1,018 of 1,670
This would be the product I'd buy, given that I get some form of answers...
1) Would this work well with my Denon 7000?
2) I've been hearing about 'hiss' associated with this piece in more than a couple of occasions. Is hiss a noticeable issue? Because I wouldn't be able to appreciate anything with a level of hiss, no matter how low it might be...
Thank you!

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #1,019 of 1,670

Quote:
2) I've been hearing about 'hiss' associated with this piece in more than a couple of occasions. Is hiss a noticeable issue? Because I wouldn't be able to appreciate anything with a level of hiss, no matter how low it might be...
Thank you!

I have no experience with the Denon 7000 so have no idea how it may pair or if there will be hiss.

But hearing this hiss all depends on your hearing and how sensitive that headphone is.  It's really hard to gauge unless you have experience with other products that hiss or don't hiss for you and use a relative comparison.

For example, with the HDP I can hear hiss out of every single one of my headphones except the HD800 and K701, though I honestly didn't try hard to listen for hiss with these two headphones since they are open air and it's rare I get it quiet enough that I can absolutely say I can detect none at all.  But at least I've never heard hiss with those two headphones.  With all the rest, the IEMs, the grados, the shure full size, they all have hiss for me that is very obvious.

Now others have mentioned there is no hiss with the HDP  with any headphones they've tried, including very sensitive IEMs.  So YMMV depending on your hearing sensitivity and the headphones you end up using. 

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #1,020 of 1,670
I've listened to a fully modded Lawton D7000 and a stock d2000 on my HDP and I couldn't discern any hiss at all (and I listened for it). My headphones are HD650 and they certainly don't hiss. It seems more of the hit or miss with hiss is usually tied to IEMs. I would imagine you would be fine but YMMV.

Quote:
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back