REVIEW: iBasso D1, Leckerton Audio UHA-3, and Meier Corda Move compared.
Sep 15, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #91 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO! Very funny. Okay, Okay. For those people who insist on the Cliff Notes, here you go:

The D1, when driven from it's analog input (i.e., via the iMod I used to test that), was decent, not great, and the Move was much better. The D1, when driven from it's own DAC, was MUCH better than the D1 driven from the iPod, and also better than the Move when driven from it's internal USB DAC.

Now no one actually has to read the review
wink.gif

Ipod or Imod??

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #92 of 247
capt.e209a6bd81d9e50e8ee11ac297e7e021.jpeg

Ever feel trapped and don't have a way out? The answers are here.

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #94 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are you saying you answered these questions? Can you restate your postion for the edification of those who want a solidification of your pontifications on the amplifications by the subjects of this review?

NO??

Oh consternation.

I don't know if you should word it like that. He might be disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
plainface.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #95 of 247
Tis not my request, or desire to be a pest, but that of a forlorn HeadFiers mind that has become a mess with all the information spilled upon these pages at others bequest.

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #96 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO! Very funny. Okay, Okay. For those people who insist on the Cliff Notes, here you go:

The D1, when driven from it's analog input (i.e., via the iMod I used to test that), was decent, not great, and the Move was much better. The D1, when driven from it's own DAC, was MUCH better than the D1 driven from the iPod, and also better than the Move when driven from it's internal USB DAC.

Now no one actually has to read the review
wink.gif

What about the three other possible combinations - what about:

(1) how the Move AMP sounds driven by the analog input [source > line-in/headphone > Move] vs the D1 driven through its DAC to the D1 AMP.

(2) how the Move sounds driven by the D1's DAC [source > D1 DAC > Move amp] vs the D1 driven thorugh its DAC to the D1 AMP

(3) how the D1 amp sounds driven by the move (line-in or usb) - this one I don't care about...

Well? Since you are willing to spill it all here anyways
redface.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #97 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tis not my request, or desire to be a pest, but that of a forlorn HeadFiers mind that has become a mess with all the information spilled upon these pages at others bequest.

And indeed what a fine mind it is. My dear sir, I must say you are in fine form today. How quickly the multiple possibilities spiral out of control. This comparison makes the review of simple headphone amps seem like mere child's play...

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #98 of 247
In other words, would you rather listen to

(a) the Move amp with an iPod or iMod or any other analog source, or
(b) the D1 with an optical/coax/usb source using D1 dac and amp
(c) all of the above

This was the one thing you didn't say that we'd all like to hear. From your review we know the D1 with digital input beats the Move with digital input, but does D1 with digital in beat the move with analog inputs.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #99 of 247
Hey Skylab,

I read your full post, thanks for the review. Makes me glad I chose the move (to be used out of an iMod). Not everyone on these boards are lazy assess (deliberate type-o) who can't be bothered to read. Since I feel like making a sweeping generalization, I'll say that they're mostly high school text messagers to lazy to type in proper english to boot. I'm starting to think there should be a minimum age requirement on this board...
plainface.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #100 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab,

I read your full post, thanks for the review. Makes me glad I chose the move (to be used out of an iMod). Not everyone on these boards are lazy assess (deliberate type-o) who can't be bothered to read. Since I feel like making a sweeping generalization, I'll say that they're mostly high school text messagers to lazy to type in proper english to boot. I'm starting to think there should be a minimum age requirement on this board...
plainface.gif

Curious, if not for the USB DAC, why did you choose the Move for your iMod vs another good amp like the RSA SR-71, or Xin Micro/Mini/Macro, etc. Was it price, or availability <4 months, or features making it a no-brainer? Was the D1 released before you got your Move?

In my case, I wanted to use a DAC/AMP with my Macbook so the the Move was my first choice over the D1, but the iBasso was loaded with more features to expand the choice of sources, so I jumped on board sooner than later. I am sure glad that I did.

Sep 15, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #101 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by echooo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for reminding us that Meier Audio makes a better amp/dac than the iBasso D1.
tongue.gif

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

What? Does anyone else think this comment was ridiculous? Did you even read the review? Skylab stated that the amp/dac COMBO of the D1 is better than the MOVE. He believes the MOVE sounds better when just running through analog in. Just wanted to clarify that for you. He in no way reminded anybody that the Meier is better than the iBasso. Sorry to be pedantic, but seeing as it looks like you are new to the forum make sure you have evidence for the comments you make. I myself have done so the same when I just started out.

Sep 15, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #102 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going one step further, have you found specific headphones that mate best with the Move or the D1. In the few days I have had the D1 on loan, one (Ultrasone 2500) is far better than the AKG 701; the Denon D2000 sounds great with everything I attach it to (including a Nano, unamped).

This is so funny! Today I met with Vorlon1 and HiFlight to compare three (one of which was in two configurations) new portable amps with some of our standbys. One of the new ones was an stock D1 and a modded D1 (op-amps changed). The two other portable amps were a production Xin Reference an an iBasso P1. I will post my thoughts on the 26 portable amp but I will say that there is a new "Numero 1" and that the iBasso D1 once again demonstrated to me how good it is. I posted in another thread that I thought the D1 was as good as the SR71, well the modded iBasso D1 is IMO better. You wil have to read the post on the 26 (now 28 amp thread).

Anyways, I tried three full size cans out of the D1: HD600 w/ a Revelation Audio Cable, HD580 w/ its stock cable, and a PROline 2500. I agree with you, IMO the PROline 2500 was the best sounding out of the D1.
cool.gif
Why I have not idea.
frown.gif

BTW, to me the best op-amp on the D1 amp section was either the 2111 or the LT 6241HV (same as the one Dr. Xin uses on his amps). Ron (HiFlight) did not have the 8397 for me to put on the buffer so my D1 still has the 5532's. I will not say that the new op-amps make a night and day difference, but the soundstage is much wider now and I find that it is easier to distinguish the instruments.

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #103 of 247
Is the D1 the only really good amp ibasso put out?

It seems their previous line was more about style and size. SQ came after.

The D1 takes a whole new approach, size obviously not of a huge concern. Style still there (imo), but SQ came first this time it seems.

Maybe they got a new engineer?

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #104 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious, if not for the USB DAC, why did you choose the Move for your iMod vs another good amp like the RSA SR-71, or Xin Micro/Mini/Macro, etc. Was it price, or availability <4 months, or features making it a no-brainer? Was the D1 released before you got your Move?

In my case, I wanted to use a DAC/AMP with my Macbook so the the Move was my first choice over the D1, but the iBasso was loaded with more features to expand the choice of sources, so I jumped on board sooner than later. I am sure glad that I did.

Easy enough - if you see my sig, you'll see what I've owned and enjoyed in the past.

SR - 71: nowehere near as portable or as good a value as the Move; Generally speaking, Ray's amps are too expensive for the SQ I get from them (although they are beautiful!)...

Xin - I have a micro and reference on order (expecting to wait another 5 months for them);

D1 - big and heavy.

USB DAC useless to me; good SQ prime motivator. Move has good analog signal reproduction.

FWIW, HiFlight and I have been heavy Xin users/modders for some time now and to paraphrase him from Xin's forum, the Move sounds every bit as good as the Xin amps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back