[Review] HiFiMan RE272, RE0's Big Brother
Sep 14, 2011 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Thanks to Nankai, aka Fang for the RE272 Loaner opportunity. 

Pros: Clarity, detail, packaging
Cons: Bass, too analytical

Equipment Used

Sources: MacBook Pro, iPod Classic
Amp/DACs: iBasso D-Zero

Packaging

Luxury. That's the first thing I thought when I saw the wooden box with a vinyl outside. The top of the box is gold stamped that says "HiFiMAN" and there's a gold colored clasp to open the box. Once opened there's a vinyl coated interior with the accessories on the right and the headphones in a plastic casing, which surprisingly is only painted on the outside, not the inside as well. Included is a variety of cable attachments to connect the RE272 through a TSS connection or a standard 3.5mm. There's also two different double flanged white tips and XS->L mushroom tips.

Overall the packaging is nice, but it looks more luxurious than it really is. I wish that there had been more attention to detail, especially in the hard plastic casing which should have been fully painted. Everything was secure though.

Design and Build Quality

The design of the RE272 looks sill at first, but it actually makes a lot of sense when worn over ear with these. Compared to the RE0, these are a huge step forward in comfort. The build is plastic with a rubber edging, I assume for easier gripping when placing them in your ears, and surprisingly feels better quality than the all metal RE0. Each IEM has a rather long stress relief with an L or R stamped on them. The RE272 definitely feel solid. The RE272 terminate to a balanced plug short to allow the user to choose from one of 4 extensions to cater to any sort of 3.5mm plug. The y splitter has some nice touches, on one side RE272 is stamped, on the other HiFiMAN. The plugs are terminated in an odd 45 degree angle that I don't know if I agree with, but it seems sturdy.

The isolation is rather lacking though, no matter what tip I tried I couldn't get fantastic isolation. I would say it blocked out about 50% of the noise when they were just sitting in my ears.

Overall these are built decently, I feel for the price they could have done better, but it's a huge step up from RE0 to me in every aspect.

Sound Quality

As always I've burned these in for 50 hours before conducting any sound tests. These have also a claimed 60+ more hours burn in as part of the RE272 loaner system, for an estimated 150 hours.

Analytical and bright, I honestly could not enjoy music on these. These are very detailed, airy sounding, and clear, much like the RE0. Much like the RE0 though the bass is severely lacking. The upper/mid bass has come impact, but the extension is very weak. I can hear some of the sub bass, but I struggle to hear it, I most definitely can't feel it. The mids are strong, detailed but very cold sounding and not very engaging. Everything sounds great in the mids, but I don't enjoy them. The highs are where the RE272 shine, but they're too bright and forward to me. They've very well extended, clear and detailed, but they are too forward and at times a bit harsh. The soundstage is nothing special, very similar to the RE0 from my memory, an airy feel to it. 

Since these are analytical sounding I decided to listen to only fantastically mastered albums to see how they hold up:

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Is This Love

I am using the Barry Diament mastering from 1990 which is highly regarded. Right away the usual smooth silky sound of this recording is gone. The bass line is completely outshined by the ska inspired guitar, the little guitar riffs are way too forward in the mix, and Bob's voice is a bit irritating. Everything sounds absolutely crisp and clean, but from a surgical view. It's as if every instrument was taken, put on a table with a clear outline as to where it began and started and placed in the headphones. Great clarity, but not enjoyable and the lack of bass makes this song irritating.

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name

Rage's self titled album has long since been a standard in the audio industry for it's excellent production and mixing. I've listened to this track at least 100 times in my life throughout various pieces of audio equipment and I can say without a doubt this is the least enjoyable I've ever found it.   The kick drum has some punch to it, but the bass is lost in the mix, it's barely audible. What usually gives the guitar it's punchy backing is now gone. The guitars sound overly bright and the vocals have lost their aggressive attack they have on my Ad900.

The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For the Devil

This is taken from the MFSL CD rip. The sound sounds wonderful. The bongos are easily heard in the right channel. The shaker and bass in the left sound great. The vocals are in the middle and sound very clear. The piano comes in and melds perfectly in the mix. Honestly everything sounds wonderful in this until the little guitar solo comes in and it's just too bright, too irritating. 

The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun

This is from the 2009 remaster. There's many versions, MFSL, pbthal rips, and so forth, but the legend Dr. Ebbett claimed this was better than his and his was known as the standard for years. Either way this remaster was done right. To get on with the song, it sounds wonderful on these. Absolutely wonderful. Every instrument is clearly heard, the intro acoustic guitar sounds as if it's on the other side of the room. I really have no complaints with this song, the RE272 does this song right.

Overall

Fans of the RE0 will find a welcome linear upgrade to me. These are detailed, clear, and focus on the mids and highs. These are definitely lacking in bass and are a bit bright though, which will turn a lot of listeners off. If that doesn't the hyper analytical sound of these will. If you're looking for a musical IEM, these are not it. If you want to dissect your music these will be a welcome addition though. I like these, but only for very specialized listening, I even enjoy my SoundMAGIC E30 over these for every day listening.

As always you can see more photos of the HiFiMAN RE272 here!

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 15
I really enjoyed this review, simply because it isn't the conventional 'new sound = new hype' review that even I've been accustomed to having written myself in the past. I felt you were very honest and straight forward in your opinion, and didn't hold back by even the slightest. As fond as I am of the HiFiMan series (having owned the 252, 262, and 272), in the end, the 252 remained my absolute favorite, and I've parted since from the other two. In any case, great review my friend. :)

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 15
just ordered a pair of 272 , very anxious to see how this stack up against the zero/252/262 which i previously owned

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
just ordered a pair of 272 , very anxious to see how this stack up against the zero/252/262 which i previously owned

Ooh, I'm all the more curious to hear your comparisons my friend. Any you still currently own?

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 15
Good review, thank you. Well written and structured and certainly honest. But do give these IEMs more time please. I wasn't exactly blown away by them at the beginning either, but now, after about a month, they are quickly becoming one of my favorite headphones.

I can't say that RE272 is a huge step up from RE0 and in every way. I think that's a bit too strong of a statement to make. I have them side by side here. The build quality on the RE0 is indeed awful and the sound on right side of my newly replaced pair just started fading a couple of days ago. Can't say how well RE272 stands up to regular daily use just yet. Fortunately, the sound came back to the right channel on my RE0 again yesterday and I can now do some more AB'ing between them.

My findings are that they are both wonderful IEMs, but that the RE272 is indeed significantly better sounding technically, while remaining sufficiently musical as well. I cannot say at all that RE272 is worth the price over the RE0, because it is nowhere near 3 times better. Even if RE0 was to cost $150 and RE272 the $249, I am still not sure I would say that RE272 is that much better. The law of diminishing returns really comes into play here IMO and both of these IEMs are already playing on a very high hi-fi level to these ears. It's just that RE272 is even closer to perfection than the already brilliant RE0. With RE272, there is even more sense of presence than with the RE0 and I can feel more often like "I am there" than I can with RE0. But both are extremely good sounding 'phones - not just for IEMs, but in general - and if you have the money, I would suggest that you own both because they do sound somewhat different and sometimes the RE0 can give more interesting perspective on some recordings than the RE272, even if the latter is technically superior overall. RE0 also has a somewhat warmer and more inviting sound, while RE272 demands more serious listening (but is still very fun) IMO.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for your words everyone, I appreciate the criticism and the kind words.

@Pianist I would love to give the RE272 more time, but unfortunately these are part of the loaner series and my 1 week is almost up. I leave for a 4 day camping trip tomorrow and I don't want to risk ruining the RE272 by bringing them and spending more time.

As for my RE0 comment, it may have been a bit blown up, but I haven't had my RE0 for 3 months to compare since I've sold them. From what I remember though, the RE0 were very detailed like the RE272, but slightly grainy while the bass was anemic with a decent upper/mid bass impact. The build quality is where there's a huge advancement as I and many others have had huge problems with the RE0 coming apart and such. These feel much more solid in construction overall. I would liken the comparison of the RE0 vs the RE272 to the AD700 vs AD900, the difference isn't huge until you take a step back, but then again I do not have the two to compare side by side to unfortunately.

Thanks for your comparison though, it will definitely help others make up their mind about the RE272 I'm sure! =)

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for your words everyone, I appreciate the criticism and the kind words.

@Pianist I would love to give the RE272 more time, but unfortunately these are part of the loaner series and my 1 week is almost up. I leave for a 4 day camping trip tomorrow and I don't want to risk ruining the RE272 by bringing them and spending more time.

As for my RE0 comment, it may have been a bit blown up, but I haven't had my RE0 for 3 months to compare since I've sold them. From what I remember though, the RE0 were very detailed like the RE272, but slightly grainy while the bass was anemic with a decent upper/mid bass impact. The build quality is where there's a huge advancement as I and many others have had huge problems with the RE0 coming apart and such. These feel much more solid in construction overall. I would liken the comparison of the RE0 vs the RE272 to the AD700 vs AD900, the difference isn't huge until you take a step back, but then again I do not have the two to compare side by side to unfortunately.

Thanks for your comparison though, it will definitely help others make up their mind about the RE272 I'm sure! =)

Don't worry, we all tend to exaggerate things sometimes.
wink.gif

I agree that RE0 sounds somewhat grainy next to RE272 and not as clear.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
AD700 vs AD900?

No, RE0 vs RE272 is more like....... hmm... Koss PortaPro vs Tesla T1, I'm not kidding.

lol But I bet some people will prefer the Koss.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 15
nope , but i think i will be able to tell how 272 stacks up against them

so far i think i liked 252>262>zero.

Quote:
Quote:

Ooh, I'm all the more curious to hear your comparisons my friend. Any you still currently own?

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
From what I hear the RE252 are more musical, I'd like to try them someday.

Of the 3, I'd say the 252's are definitely more analytical, while the 262 is more musical, and the 272 is a bit of both.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 15
I find myself pretty interested in these, I'm a huge RE0 fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back