[Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful
Dec 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 342

Quote:
Thanks for that insightful review Shotgunshane, Well done.  Seems these 262's are certainly special IEM'S.
The Hifiman series are interesting me the more I read these glowing reviews.
I have a pair of 252's on the way from another Headfier & eventually would also like to try both the 262 & 272.

Thanks.  I've read the 252's are analytical but I'm not sure.  I think I'd like to try the RE-Zero next.

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 342
Dec 20, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #18 of 342

Updated second post with comparisons to the GR07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Comparison with GR07 (12/20)

Sub bass is more pronounced with more rumble on the GR07 when the RE262 is not amped.  Amping the RE262 brings the differences closer and of course adding EQ2 from the E6 or even one step on the ZO eliminates this difference.

Treble is much more emphasized on the GR07 and in fact can lead to some ringing in busy cymbal passages or sibilance in some instances.  The RE262 in contrast did not have these issues in the same passages.  Cymbal decal and shimmer was more accurate on the RE262 but is at a much quieter volume and therefore not as easy to pick out as the GR07.

Of course the midrange is more forward and lush on the RE262 over the GR07.  Transparency is pretty equal between the two and midrange detailing also seems equal, although it is easier to pick up on the RE262 due to it's emphasis on mids.  Vocals become more intimate and emotional, whereas the GR07 while doing nothing wrong, doesn't display this same intimacy and emotion.

Isolation is better on the RE262 as the housings fit the ears more fully and help to block out more noise.  The GR07 soundstage is definitely much wider but at the same time sounds more 2D than the RE262 which has a pretty deep soundstage.  The RE262 has much better overall instrument timbre.  Pianos have more resonance, as well as strings, providing a more realistic sound.

The GR07 is a much more neutral sounding phone with very good balance across the spectrum and has a do nothing wrong approach; while the RE262 is more colored, albeit tastefully, providing a more emotional and musical presentation.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #20 of 342
Shotgun and FlySweep>> LEAVE ME ALONE!! I'm not reading your reviews anymore ... I CAN'T SEE YOU!! 
deadhorse.gif
mad.gif

LOL

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #21 of 342
Ralphie boy and Fly just want us to spend all our cash

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #22 of 342
Dec 27, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #24 of 342
Shotgun and FlySweep>> LEAVE ME ALONE!! I'm not reading your reviews anymore ... I CAN'T SEE YOU!! 
deadhorse.gif
mad.gif

LOL

ROFL.. the mega PM I just sent you isn't going to help.  Eric.. have Shane or I ever steered you wrong?  
wink_face.gif

Ralphie boy and Fly just want us to spend all our cash

tongue_smile.gif

Like I told Eric via PM: "The RE262 isn't for everyone.  I don't think it was tuned with everyone in mind.. and I'm quite glad for that."  I'ts a very unique phone in terms of it's sound (what I'd call coloration with audiophile-level sophistication).

If you do end up spending your last few dollars on the RE262, its blissful sound will surely help you forget just how bad the dog food you're eating for dinner tastes.

The RE262 has rekindled my love affair with great mids and it loves the ZO.

AMEN.  I've been listening to the RE262 for the last five hours (noodling around the web, writing PMs, watching MNF, etc.. I'll digress though, Mr. Hotlanta).. completely immersed in it's lovely sound.  It responds to EQ'ing quite well.. I rarely use the bass boost on the Arrow but the RE262 loves it and it feels like the damn thing is showing off with how deep, luscious, and textured the bass sounds.  I can only imagine what the Zo's fine tuning could do.  I really enjoy the soft, rounded presentation of the bass.. makes it excellent for electric jazz and the like.. but if one chooses to EQ it up, it kindly obliges without any distortion or bleed.. again, the driver is silly good.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #25 of 342
So the ZO has enough juice to drive the 262 with authority?  Can't find any detailed specs on their website.  And would there be any improvement over say my cMoyBB.  I'm new to the ZO world, appears there is a ZO2.

Quote:
The RE262 has rekindled my love affair with great mids and it loves the ZO.

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 342

Quote:
So the ZO has enough juice to drive the 262 with authority?  Can't find any detailed specs on their website.  And would there be any improvement over say my cMoyBB.  I'm new to the ZO world, appears there is a ZO2.

I don't think tech specs for ZO2 have been released but here they are for the first version:

1. Frequency Response (10Hz - 22kHz): ±0.25dB (min) / ±22dB (max)
  2. THD: <0.003%
  3. Max Power Output: 840 mW @ 25 ohms (per channel)
  4. Max Input Voltage: 1.4Vpp (0.5Vrms)
  5. Input Impedance: 15 kohms
  6. Output Impedance: 0.2 ohms
  7. Dimensions: 1.5 x 0.38 x 2.75 in.
  8. Weight: 0.94 oz.
  9. Battery Charge Time: 1 hr (80%) / 2 hrs (100%)

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #27 of 342
shotgunshane, I think you captured the RE-262 very well. those were my experiences with them while I had them as well. However, one thing that I'd like to put emphasis on is this:

Quote:
"The RE262 isn't for everyone.  I don't think it was tuned with everyone in mind.. and I'm quite glad for that."

While it was simply amazing for vocal music, or acoustic music (listening to some unplugged records through the RE-262 gave me the chills, it was that good for that kind of music), it did no wonders with EBM or synthpop or any music like that. The sad part is that the older I get, the more electronic my music taste gets. Listening to old Alphaville or Orchestral Maneuvre songs sounded hollow and lifeless to me, and gave me a bit of claustrophobia because of the slightly recessed highs.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #29 of 342
While it was simply amazing for vocal music, or acoustic music (listening to some unplugged records through the RE-262 gave me the chills, it was that good for that kind of music), it did no wonders with EBM or synthpop or any music like that. The sad part is that the older I get, the more electronic my music taste gets. Listening to old Alphaville or Orchestral Maneuvre songs sounded hollow and lifeless to me, and gave me a bit of claustrophobia because of the slightly recessed highs.

I can certainly see how it may not be the best for some genres.  I don't see the RE262 being that one, "do-everything" phone someone has for all their genres (something a monitor is better suited for, if neutrality is also important).  The RE262 is versatile but the tuning & presentation is certainly specialized & unique.. that is a gift & curse for some.  I listen to a lot of electronic, downtempo-y type of stuff with it and love it.  For acoustic jazz/folk & vocal stuff, it's arguably one of the finest phones out there (regardless of price).  What I like is that it's very clear but it's coloration presents those genres with an absolutely intoxicating flavor.. like nothing I've ever heard before.

I highly recommend ClieOS' foam mod for those who want to get a little more out of the treble.  It's not going turn the RE262 into an Etymotic or anything.. but you'll hear a little more sparkle, air, and crispness up top.  It takes a few tries to get right but once you do, I found it very rewarding.  Rest assured the velvety sound remains fully in tact, though.

For those who might find mids too forward with the HFM biflanges, I recommend switching to one of the the stock, HFM single flange tips.  I typically listen to the RE262 with the HFM biflanges but accidentally shipped them to the next user on the HiSound Golden Crystal loaner tour.  The (shallower fitting) single flanges push the mids back a slight bit so it's more in line with the bass and treble.  You'll get a slightly more natural fq response without losing clarity or dynamics.. plus the bass and treble will have a little more presence.

The cherry on top?  The soundstage widens a bit too.  The RE262 soundstage is already something magical.. but I've yet to pick my jaw off the floor hearing it with the single flanges 
basshead.gif

basshead.gif

basshead.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 342
Well ....well.....well.....
blink.gif
 The Re262 came today (fastest it has ever taken me to get a IEM - I ordered late Monday night)....

Hmmmmmm???? And some more hmmmmmm????  And even some more hmmmmmmm and I see..... lol

Seriously, I don't recall ever hearing such a substantial clear transparent soundstage coming out of an 9mm dynamic driver.... Wow!! It's only been on burn-in for about two hours, and I've been listening for about 15 minutes (the new ThinkSound ms01 wood/metal studio monitor also came in. I think this little company has outdone itself in the around $100 IEM market, but that's for another thread).....

To me the RE262 approaches the EX1000's refinement and expansive soundstage without the harsh highs. If you like highs that are harsh and sparkle this will not be the IEM for you. Although the highs are just fine for me, and I can sense it will open up some more in the treble area. But really, I was thinking - unless a BA - the wider the driver (aka 16mm) the better and the more expansive the sound. The RE262 make that thought folly. I can't wait for what I discover with burn-in. This will definitely be my go-to jazz, classical and acoustic music IEM. This is shaping up to be what I was hoping the EX1000 would have been. 

Shotgunshane and FlySweep how can one hate guys he likes so much. You two are about to get on my hitlist (for being right so many times)...lol. Will report back more later... Happy listening!!
beerchug.gif

(Damn!! I broke my no more buying IEMs befoe 2012 rule, but the the RE262 is clearly a steal for $149.00. Now, I've only listened to it throught the E10/E9 combo, so I have no ideal (yet) how it will sound straight into a iPod. But my sense is that this IEM wasn't really made to be played without an amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back