REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Oct 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #1,187 of 1,534
Im not sure if anyones have already asked this.

but im really intrigued in the HifiMan HM601 since i want to feel like venturing away from the iPod Classics.

and the looks dont scare me of the player, i think it looks very nice.

But my only concern is its electronic features, which you didnt mention(which isnt too much of a bad thing)

because iTunes remains as my #1 Music archiver as it does a good job keeping my music files in order.
i know the HM601 wont sync to iTunes but could i still be able to put my Songs on the player from itunes?

Thanks for any help!

oh and GREAT review and nice pics!

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,188 of 1,534
Quote:

but im really intrigued in the HifiMan HM601 since i want to feel like venturing away from the iPod Classics.

and the looks dont scare me of the player, i think it looks very nice.

But my only concern is its electronic features, which you didnt mention(which isnt too much of a bad thing)

because iTunes remains as my #1 Music archiver as it does a good job keeping my music files in order.
i know the HM601 wont sync to iTunes but could i still be able to put my Songs on the player from itunes?

Thanks for any help!

oh and GREAT review and nice pics!

The Hifiman use's a VERY simple Music Uploading interface so no you might not be able to use iTunes for it [and you won't be able to use ALAC or AIFF with the Hifiman I don't think] but the upload interface is simple drag and drop! Like moving files from your Hard Drive to A flash drive, you can set up the Folder levels and well manually Drag the songs you want. Which is a little more cumbersome but I like that method over having to use a program,

BUT the J-River Media Software will allow you to sync to your Hifiman [I've never used it( Although I own the software)] And Win-Amp might work as well. But sadly no iTunes most Likely will not allow you to transfer files

And this is another thing to think about, Apple products are made to be used interchangebly with well most Apple Hard Ware and Software, Apple SEVERLY limits your options to only what they offer, which is fine when you only have Apple Products, but if you want to move away from Apple you may need to learn how to transcode music as well as gain an understanding of how to Rips Cd's if you desire "play lists"

The hifiman supports .cue files which are essitianlly playlists, except they are primarly for breaking a Single BIG file into individual songs, meaning the Cue Tells the Hifiman the EXACT Minuete and Second location of the song within that ONE big File

So if you want to move away from Apple you'll need to learn how to utlize the freedom offered to you buy Devices like the Hifiman

Still though its a nice device, and with optional SD card support you can have limitless storage really [just carry a few 32gb SD cards with u] I currently have a 4gb and a 32gb card for mine [with 8gb flash]

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,189 of 1,534
Hi, I am a newbie. After reading many positive and negative reviews of the 601 in this forum, I bought the 601 to replace my Ipod Touch and is very happy.  Sure, no Itunes support is a big step to take, but the reward is well worth it. The UI is pretty straight forward, it is not as daunting as some have suggested.  These are not important once I heard the beautiful sounds that came out of the 601.  I am now in the process of re-ripping all my music into FLAC (this should occupy all my free time for a while). Thanks for all yours views and reviews.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,190 of 1,534

Got a HM-601 4G today, but installation of the USB driver failed, do not have windows media player installed. does it matter?

Or what can I do?

Bent

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,191 of 1,534
Quote:
Hi, I am a newbie. After reading many positive and negative reviews of the 601 in this forum, I bought the 601 to replace my Ipod Touch and is very happy.  Sure, no Itunes support is a big step to take, but the reward is well worth it. The UI is pretty straight forward, it is not as daunting as some have suggested.  These are not important once I heard the beautiful sounds that came out of the 601.  I am now in the process of re-ripping all my music into FLAC (this should occupy all my free time for a while). Thanks for all yours views and reviews.

Glad you love it, I do to
Quote:

Got a HM-601 4G today, but installation of the USB driver failed, do not have windows media player installed. does it matter?

Or what can I do?

Bent

... honestly I'm not sure what you can do about that... I might try using Win Amp as that can recognize DAPS and should let you add music to your system. The other option you have is using another pc to load the music to... although in all honesty you have  4gb... I would buy a 32gb SD card [for around $20] and load it with music. You shouldn't have any issues loading the SD card into the Hifiman and then well you'd have your music. I Don't really change the songs on my 8gs Internal memory but I do with the Flash so... trying getting 4gbs of music on a Flash Drive and head to your local library or any where with multiple pcs. FInd one that works and load it up, then use the SD card...

I also hear that J-River Media player is one that recognizes the Hifiman but it costs money.

My last suggestion is a little technical and legnthy, but if nothing elese works...

reinstall your drivers on your PC for usb, or you can try updating them OR you can try to format your PC and run a new installation of windows, but again... I hope you don;t have to do any of these, but if you do I can elaborate e.e

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,192 of 1,534
Quote:

Or what can I do?

Bent

... honestly I'm not sure what you can do about that... I might try using Win Amp as that can recognize DAPS and should let you add music to your system. The other option you have is using another pc to load the music to... although in all honesty you have  4gb... I would buy a 32gb SD card [for around $20] and load it with music. You shouldn't have any issues loading the SD card into the Hifiman and then well you'd have your music. I Don't really change the songs on my 8gs Internal memory but I do with the Flash so... trying getting 4gbs of music on a Flash Drive and head to your local library or any where with multiple pcs. FInd one that works and load it up, then use the SD card...

I also hear that J-River Media player is one that recognizes the Hifiman but it costs money.

My last suggestion is a little technical and legnthy, but if nothing elese works...

reinstall your drivers on your PC for usb, or you can try updating them OR you can try to format your PC and run a new installation of windows, but again... I hope you don;t have to do any of these, but if you do I can elaborate e.e

Thanks Mshenay

[size=12.727272033691406px]I do not exactly know what happened, but it works now.[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px]I have J-river but have not tried to see if it can [/size][size=12.727272033691406px]recognize[/size][size=12.727272033691406px] the player.[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px]I do have another problem with it, I can´t turn repeat off. It does have the newest firmware, v0.11. Maybe there is a bug in the firmware or??[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px]Bent[/size]

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,193 of 1,534
Quote:

[size=12.727272033691406px]I have J-river but have not tried to see if it can [/size][size=12.727272033691406px]recognize[/size][size=12.727272033691406px] the player.[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px]I do have another problem with it, I can´t turn repeat off. It does have the newest firmware, v0.11. Maybe there is a bug in the firmware or??[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px]Bent[/size]

Eww, you have the newsest Firmware >.> Mine still uses like v.4 which is really superior as yes the new Firmware from what I hear are even buggier than the old ones. Mine requires me to reinsert my SD card and reupdate the meda files every time I turn it on after turing it off, in addition some times when I update the media it locks me into a black screen, but that's because I have teh screen set to shut off after 1second so

But yea the OS isn't perfect nor the smoothest, but I have not had any issues with Repeat not turning off, and I'm sorry to hear that e.e

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #1,195 of 1,534
I use a Graham Slee Voyager, the sound is superb.
better than my Studio-V.

There is something magical about the line out of the 601, even straight 
into a $20k 2 channel set up it holds its own and performs very well.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #1,196 of 1,534
Quote:
I use a Graham Slee Voyager, the sound is superb.
better than my Studio-V.

There is something magical about the line out of the 601, even straight 
into a $20k 2 channel set up it holds its own and performs very well.

Dang straight! I love the line out, it maintains the the Hm601 MAGICAL sound sig :D, I use a JDS Labs cMoy BB 2.03, and I like it! 

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #1,197 of 1,534
Thanks for the info. Also, can you guys tell me which headphones to use with the 601? I currently have the RE 262 and I like them a lot, is there a pair out that sounds similar? I've been looking into V-Moda M-80, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Sennheiser HD598, do these have good synergy with the 601?

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #1,198 of 1,534
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Also, can you guys tell me which headphones to use with the 601? I currently have the RE 262 and I like them a lot, is there a pair out that sounds similar? I've been looking into V-Moda M-80, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Sennheiser HD598, do these have good synergy with the 601?

Depends on your tastes! I like my DT 880's from my Hifiman, simply because the Dt 880s are mostly transparent, so I think they pair well with the Lush slighty warm sound of the Hifiman, add the cMoy and it get's better imo

although the Hifiman to me is a little warm [not in a bad way] so headphones that might have "harsh treble" would benifit from it! But I still like my DARK Xb700s with my DARK Zune HD dap, although I'm looking to get a cowon dap to replace the zune

but use bright'r cans with the Hifiman I think! As it has nice treble and good warmth [still though every one's different so if you like how it sounds then enjoy it :D]

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,199 of 1,534
Thanks Mshenay, so I take it that none of the ones I mentioned would match the 601 well. Can you recommend something around $150 that is bright? I like vocals to take center stage and been told that the M80 would do well in that area, is it true?

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,200 of 1,534
Quote:
Thanks Mshenay, so I take it that none of the ones I mentioned would match the 601 well. Can you recommend something around $150 that is bright? I like vocals to take center stage and been told that the M80 would do well in that area, is it true?

OMIGAWD yes the Dt 990 Pro 250... be warned it's a pretty V Shaped, but ironically the mids have alot of nice detail despite being a little behind the bass and the Highs, but the Dt 990 Pro 250 is like $169 and I've heard it is BRIGHT... but again be warned the Bass is well detailed and a little emphasized. It's not a fart cannon but it is a very musical Bass Head can [with nice Highs] Also I hear Grado's have very nice highs as wellthey have some <$150 cans too! In fact the Grado 125i is about $150 now

Also the new iGrado... is the over hear style, where the head band sits behind your ears :O I've been wanting a pair of cans like that SO BAD AND OMG I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally saving up an buying them... because I need that style to work in and it's a SUPER cheap Grado! and I need A grado :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back