REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Feb 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,142 of 1,534

Quote:
^^ lee730 how does the HM-601 compare to the Studio V? I've got the 601 right now and I'm really liking it but I've heard great things about the Studio V. What do you think?

he has elaborated on that question too many times. take your time with the search engine function

personally i don't think that hm-601 is inferior to studio-V. just a matter of taste/preference i believe..

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #1,143 of 1,534

Quote:
^^ lee730 how does the HM-601 compare to the Studio V? I've got the 601 right now and I'm really liking it but I've heard great things about the Studio V. What do you think?

I much prefer the Studio V. Crystal clear uptop, a very neutral sound with a wide sound stage. Battery life is very good and UI is simple and fast. You can also use it as an amp which is similar to the RSA Mustang in sound signature. Keep in mind there is hiss though with sensitive IEMs. But for me I can tolerate it as usually the hiss isn't audible during music playback. The Studio V does much better with Dynamic drivers in general unless the BA you are using has higher impedance itself.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #1,144 of 1,534

Quote:
he has elaborated on that question too many times. take your time with the search engine function

personally i don't think that hm-601 is inferior to studio-V. just a matter of taste/preference i believe..

I do think you're right about this. The HM-601 has a warmer sound signature, call it analog if so, that for some ears this will match better with brighter/detailed or/and aggressive sounding IEM's. 

The Studio-V are almost opposite, although not quite, but certainly a brighter sounding unit with a strong emphasize on mids and upper frequencies and this could be a nice match up with IEM's that have a strong bass presentation and a warm sounding mid range.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that this why that @lee730 really likes the Studio-V with his Sennheiser IE80?

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #1,145 of 1,534
I agree with you and I feel the same with the T51 and the IE80, a nice pairing also.

Quote:
I do think you're right about this. The HM-601 has a warmer sound signature, call it analog if so, that for some ears this will match better with brighter/detailed or/and aggressive sounding IEM's. 

The Studio-V are almost opposite, although not quite, but certainly a brighter sounding unit with a strong emphasize on mids and upper frequencies and this could be a nice match up with IEM's that have a strong bass presentation and a warm sounding mid range.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that this why that @lee730 really likes the Studio-V with his Sennheiser IE80?

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #1,146 of 1,534

Exactly my feelings on this although not everyone will feel this way. ie2han loves his Studio V with his EX1000s which are on the bright side as is. On the other hand I preferred my former IE8 with the Hifiman 601 though it's line out over the Sflo2 line out so synergy and preference really comes into play. Also the FX700 pairs really well with the 601 IMO and is making it hard for me to part with it :frowning2:.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #1,147 of 1,534

Quote:
I demand answers! I was told not to waste my money on the HM-601 because my monitors of choice are SM3's and they're pretty much the same from any source. Some even said the 601 was a bad source all around. But seeing as how it was already in the mail I was stuck with it.

Here's the thing, I did a direct comparison with my previous source (iPhone 4S + Fiio E7.) And the difference was huge. HUGE. I'm not talking vague, subjective differences here. On one track, I discovered a little guitar riff that my iP4 had left out. And I don't mean it was recessed, this guitar was missing.

My question is, how? What about the 601 is that much better than my iP4? Why were people telling me to stay away from the 601?

+1..I tried an AB comparison of iPhone 3GS with HM-601. I don't know how to say. I felt HM-601 sounded very romantic. Guitars sounded much real there. That liveliness was missing on iPhone 3GS.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,148 of 1,534

Hifiman, Sansa, Cowon, Colorfly, Sony, Samsung, Zune, Creative all these will be better then Iphone/Ipod. iBasso will be easily better then all these I believe.

Quote:
+1..I tried an AB comparison of iPhone 3GS with HM-601. I don't know how to say. I felt HM-601 sounded very romantic. Guitars sounded much real there. That liveliness was missing on iPhone 3GS.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,149 of 1,534
Would anyone be so kind to let my know:

What are the Detailed Audio Codec / Format supported by Hifiman HM 601?

Especially FLAC.

Coz Some 24bit 96kHz FLAC can be play, others cannot. ( 16bit 48kHz also... )

Thanks a lot!!

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,151 of 1,534
I'm planning on getting the hm601's and currently own the westone 3. The westone 3s are warm and so are the 601s. Would they be a good pair or should i look for another player?

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,152 of 1,534
I know this is a HM-601 thread, but I have the HM-602 and the Klipsch Custom 3 which are much warmer sounding than the Westone 3, and it sounds great and non-fatiguing.

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,154 of 1,534
Finally got the 601 yesterday. It came with firmware v0.10. Everything is as everyone described. Warm and musical with treble roll-off. I did extensive testing using S:Flo2, S:Flo2+Fiio E11, 601, 601 with Fiio E11 with the plan on selling the S:Flo2 and E11 if the 601 is what I'm looking for. What I realized it that combining E11 with 601 "unrolls" the treble, improves the clarify, and deepens the sound stage just enough while maintaining the musical and smooth sound signature that defines the 601. All testing were done with TF10s. I'm getting the IE80s next week and will update on the sound. It's amazing what E11 does with the S:Flo2 vs. the 601. It almost does minimal change to the S:Flo2, but really "improves" the highs (for those who feel lacking).

Also for those considering purchasing, I am using a class 10 Scandisk microSDHC card with SD adapter, and it works perfect. No issues taking it in and out. Also 24/96 equal or below all works flawlessly. Any higher res songs are not supported.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,155 of 1,534
I'm getting an new hm601 slim from a friend and I am wondering how it compares with the sgs. If it isn't that much better, I'd sell the hm601. I'm currently using my pfe232 with the sgs as my portable music rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back