REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Feb 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #856 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's so hard with so many options so close in price and so many opinions about OPamp this, and HDAM that, Tubes or no tubes. The EF2 is the only one of the above which uses the tube in the headphone out so if you only want one unit and want "Tubes" The EF2 would be you best bet. The Maverick would be more powerful but would reqiure you to run the Tube Pre-out to another amp to use the tube stage. The Maverick and Zero are very close in comparison of thier Solid State headphone out with IMHO a slight lead in the Maverick. The Audi GD "Fun" (formerly the Compass) can outshine Either the Maverick or Zero, but is just over 100.00 USD more and slightly larger.

I don't know if this has helped or just given you even more to decide.

Thanks for the info. Are you comparing to the old Zero or the new version with the OPA627 opamp?

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #858 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Version.

Thanks for the reply. I've read that the DAC is actually pretty good on the Zero. How does the DAC on the Maverick compare to the Zero and the EF2?

Also, having never listened to a solid-state or tube amp, I don't really know what to expect regarding the difference between a tube and SS amp, so it's hard to tell if it's an advantage. I know what I'm looking for, however. I listen to classical, so I want something neutral that provides good detail and imaging.

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #859 of 1,326
I got 4 new tubes on it to try. Hytron, and Tung-Sol.

The Hytron is 1945 NOS/NIB, US Army style 6ak5. I'm burning them in now.. They REALLY pick up outside vibrations easily like a microphone. Also adds a very interesting soundstage.

Not "bad" microphonics, but kinda contributing to a unique sound it seems.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/tubes217.jpg
(Tubes in the pic are the stock 6j1's.. I won't be using them anymore except a backup..)

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #860 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got 4 new tubes on it to try. Hytron, and Tung-Sol.

The Hytron is 1945 NOS/NIB, US Army style 6ak5. I'm burning them in now.. They REALLY pick up outside vibrations easily like a microphone. Also adds a very interesting soundstage.

Not "bad" microphonics, but kinda contributing to a unique sound it seems.

Nice! I can't wait to start rolling in some new tubes.

I'm trying to find a good pair of Hytrons... read that they sound great.

I've pretty much completed my trial with the stock Chinese 6J1s. They're not bad for stock tubes at all. I definitely don't like the overly forward highs though.

I should have some Mullard M8100s and GE 5 Stars coming in.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #862 of 1,326
I just got some RCA 6AK5's. I notice no difference right now, but I have not ABed them yet.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #863 of 1,326
You know, you could put tube A in the left, and tube B in the right.. Each tube is one channel, left is left, and right is right... The filaments seem to be wired in a series, as if one tube is missing, the other won't "burn".

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #864 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. I've read that the DAC is actually pretty good on the Zero. How does the DAC on the Maverick compare to the Zero and the EF2?

Also, having never listened to a solid-state or tube amp, I don't really know what to expect regarding the difference between a tube and SS amp, so it's hard to tell if it's an advantage. I know what I'm looking for, however. I listen to classical, so I want something neutral that provides good detail and imaging.

As DAC's, I can't tell much, if any difference between any of them. The EF2, Zero, or Maverick. arr pretty much the same as DACs. The differences come in the little bit of extra power that the Zero and Maverick give in thier Solid State headphone stages and the conveniece of using the Zero and Maverick as audio switching. In thier price range they are all pretty close with the advantage for me going to the EF2 for the ability to "Roll Tubes". I now have the EF2,Zero,Maverick and the Compass as well but I have them mainly to take to meets for others to A/B.
My EF 2 is still my "Go To" amp as all my cans are low impedence.I have just recieved a couple of Headphonia DAC cables which are usb powered external sound cards with Wolfson DAC's inline in a cable in both USB to 3.5 and USB to Dual RCA. So Far still just listening. I haven't had any time to compae them to all of the onboard DACs of these amps.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #865 of 1,326
boomy3555,

I saw that you stated earlier that you didn't think the EF2 was a good choice for the high impedance Senns. I assume this includes the 580/600. So, would you recommend the Maverick D1 over the EF2 for such cans? Thanks.

Based on the info I've read, I've narrowed my choices down to the D1 and the EF2. The former is more versatile with the greater number of inputs, but I think I would like a tube amp. However, if the EF2 won't be sufficiently powerful, the D1 is probably a better choice. The D1 is meant to power 600 Ohm cans, so that shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: Posted before I saw your response. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #866 of 1,326
Quote:

boomy3555,

I saw that you stated earlier that you didn't think the EF2 was a good choice for the high impedance Senns. I assume this includes the 580/600. So, would you recommend the Maverick D1 over the EF2 for such cans? Thanks.

Based on the info I've read, I've narrowed my choices down to the D1 and the EF2. The former is more versatile with the greater number of inputs, but I think I would like a tube amp. However, if the EF2 won't be sufficiently powerful, the D1 is probably a better choice. The D1 is meant to power 600 Ohm cans, so that shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: Posted before I saw your response. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The EF2 has plenty of power for high impedance headphones.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #867 of 1,326
Thanks - now my choice is being made even harder :p. By the way, does the EF2 do bit-perfect 16/44.1 output over USB, or does it upconvert to 16/48 or 24/96 first?

I take it that you're happy with the HD580 + EF2 combo.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #868 of 1,326
I saw these headphones at FYE, Sony bassy headphones.. I think the frequency range was as low as 4Hz. They went for $79, and the ear pads were HUUUUUGE..

Stay away, or save up for?

Thinking about more headphones for my EF2...

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #869 of 1,326
Quote:

Thanks - now my choice is being made even harder :p. By the way, does the EF2 do bit-perfect 16/44.1 output over USB, or does it upconvert to 16/48 or 24/96 first?

I take it that you're happy with the HD580 + EF2 combo.

I live my EF2 - RCA tubes - HD580. It still impresses me every day. I just have a hard time when comparing it to other sources/amps. I can't really put my hand on the differences, I just know I am getting pretty good sound with this entry level rig.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #870 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw these headphones at FYE, Sony bassy headphones.. I think the frequency range was as low as 4Hz. They went for $79, and the ear pads were HUUUUUGE..

Stay away, or save up for?

Thinking about more headphones for my EF2...

Bassy headphones ...eeKK stay away. I used to be a bass head, but I have come to appreciate clear and balanced sound. Its hard at first, but you will never come back!

First decide if you need open or closed headphones.. then I can help you from there.
The Sennheiser HD audiophile series have wonderful sound, but leak and incredible amount of it so are only appropriate for listening in a quite room (which is all I do
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back