[REVIEW] HD465 VS K601 VS K271 VS D2000 - There can be only one
Nov 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Omega17TheTrue

500+ Head-Fier
I made a little comparison between the headphones i own before i sell the ones i like less.

Sehnnheiser HD 465 :

A cheap supra-aural open headphone, sound dull with prominent bass, sound-stage is completely flat, lack dynamic sound low-end not worth comparing to the tree other... remind me of computer speakers with a cheap sub that cover all the sound with no real bass.

AKG K601 :

The brother of the K701 said to be slightly different and "more natural" by some it has a similar sound signature to the K271 but it is almost better in very plan, the sound is very airy and speaker-like, the sound easily leak outside and there is no isolation but because of that its sound the most realistic and avoid reflection in cup, its remind me of speakers sound. The sound is well balanced but maybe a very little bright but its depend of the recording, it sound transparent so very good recording sound wonderful but you can easily spots mistakes or low bit-rates/conversion. 

The bass is very well defined with nice PRAT but is a little behind and prefer music with a little bass boost , the mids are very good but again depend mostly of the recording, highs are too "stick" to the mid-range in my opinion but its maybe my modest gear fault's.

Sound very relaxed in low volume but need a powerful amping, my integrated amp is clearly better than the compass in this regard (sound more airy,relaxed,better defined bass etc...) 

AKG K271 :

AKG's best closed headphone sound claustrophobic and a little cave-like otherwise the sound is pretty good but there is annoying peak in upper-mids and the sound is mids oriented, sound fairly balanced but the sound is un-natural due to its too closed nature (reflections) but on the other end it give the impression to be inside the music it is very immersive once you become used to the sound, can give you the illusion you are the singer or in his mind.

Velour pads is a must if you want a balanced sound with full defined bass, and a very good comfort, after 30 minutes or less it can become fatiguing for the ears because it is too closed and the ears become hot too (can be a good thing in winter)

That is funny is that it was my favorite headphone because i was used to the particular sound but now it is different as i much prefer listening to speakers.

That a special headphone that got a good sound isolation and it was initially build to prevent sound leaking from singer recording in studio, you can see it on many voice actors in studio.

Denon D2000 :

Same as the D5000 except the cup are in plastic and not in wood, the first thing that amaze is that its sound like a open headphone despite it is closed (more like semi-closed) it is because of the "acoustic optimizer" a thin open ring near the cups.

Very good headphone but there is a big flaw for me... way too much uncontrolled bass, i knew it when i buy it but i intended to markl mod it after but i just prefer to put my money on speakers, the sound characteristic make it for a great can for movies or video games if you like something that exaggerate effects but i don't find it very good with music, unless ! you like big fat bass that overwhelm everything, i knew many people like that kind of "car sound boosted bass".

The sound stage is surrounding and natural, voice seem to have a color because it add a certain sibilance that give the impression of a extra definition but i found it pleasing as it is not harsh to the ears but you don't notice it the music have a little bass and the headphone always amplify the bass and hide the medium and high. The high are well detach from the rest of the sound that a good thing that is rare in headphones.

The comfort is very good but too loose for me and i can't use it while I'm lying as it fall but it depend of the size of your head if you have a big head its a good thing.

My favorite is easily the K601 but i also like the D2000 but i dislike boosted bass and loose comfort, but im eager to test LA7000,lawton audio best headphone.

K601>=D2000>>>K271>>>>>>>HD465

I tested them on
PC↔WASP↔Tera link X2 96/24→Profiled Expire S/PD IF→Audio-Gd Compass
and
Cambridge azure 340 CD player↔real cable↔ Cambridge azure 340a 

The Cambridge are easily better but not by much (around 10%) the sound is more extended with bigger sound-stage, bass have different note while on compass it lack definition, high more extended, overall more refined but not a big surprise because the compass is just a one box solution but with very good value.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the review. I keep wanting to give the D2000 another chance, but I haven't done this yet. I've heard the bass gets toned down a bit after burn-in, but i'm not sure if this is true.
I guess my main priority is vocal quality and slightly forward mids, so the D2000 just may not be for me. I sometimes can enjoy a bass heavy headphone as long as the bass is well controlled. I did like the HFI-680 and DT-770 32 ohm, but don't know if those are considered bass heavy.

I bought the k601 a few days ago. I was such a huge fan of my k240 Studio, so I figured that it would be an upgrade. It is definitely, but at the same time I gave up a lot of the bass, which is not a big deal.

A few months ago I was not a huge believer of burn-in, but now I definitely am. The k601 is another pair that seems to improve with burn-in. Out of the box the bass was very, very light, but now it's at an acceptable level and there's actually a decent amount of mid-bass that has shown up. The highs also seem now a lot less rolled off. Certainly not as bright of a headphone as the DT-880 though for sure. Some of my music with harsh highs in the recording is still that way. I don't find the k601 anywhere near laid back as my HD-600.

I bought the k601 mainly due to trying to find the PERFECT headphones for vocals. The k601 just may well have some of the best vocals out of everything I've heard. Better then the vocals on the HD-600, but I need to compare them to the DJ100, which also has forward mids/vocals.

Some people who don't like the k701 may like the k601. You can't say the k601 is better, but it can be for someone who is looking for specific features. I've heard the k601 has more forward sounding vocals over the k701. The k701 vocals to some, a tad more distant, but this is not a negative and worse then it sounds. I DO NOT mean recessed! I'm just saying that the k601 mids may be colored a bit (not a bad thing in this example and I hate that description). The k701 from my understanding is more neutral and better perhaps as a studio monitor. The k601 may be a bit more fun to listen to, but I'm not sure.

My guess is that the k701 is a bit more detailed, has a larger soundstage, but maybe the same amount of bass after burn-in. The k601 also is probably less bright then the k701. I had the k701 for 3 years and never considered it a bright headphone, but the k702 was to me, but it could be due to lack of burn-in.

k701 is also probably a lot better for classical. Since I don't listen to a lot of classical, this is no problem. Despite people say, the k601 sure is one fun headphone for me. It's especially good for pop music. It's perhaps the best headphone ever for female vocals. This gets my vote as the absolute best headphone for Imogen Heap. With Radiohead (one of my favorite bands) it was a bit boring straight out of the box, but I need to give it some more burn-in.

So far I like my k601 a lot, but I need to compare it to the HD-600. My HD-600 is better overall then my k240 Studio in many areas, but I sometimes prefer my k240's sound due to it being a bit less laid back and more fun to listen to. I really love the bass on the k240 and miss that on the k601. I think k601 is probably going to be my favorite soon, but my HD-600 is still a keeper. BTW I find the soundstage much better on the k601. The k701's soundstage seem almost bigger then it really should be, but maybe not.

Wonder if the k271 has more bass then the k601? Probably not. I imagine it's about the same. After listening to and loving the k240 and k601, it's going to be VERY difficult to go back to a closed headphone.

FYI I'm driving the k601 with a Schiit Asgard. It's supposed to be harder to drive than the k701, but it sure doesn't seem like it. This amp drives the k601 VERY well. Not that volume levels always mean anything, but I only need to put my amp at the 70% volume level. I really like my Asgard.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Funny most pople say the same thing about K601-k701, and yes the K271 have more bass than K601 but the bass aren't as quick but are fullest with more body but you need velour pads otherwise it is bass light, wow 70% of volume is a LOT ! i only use 8 o'clock volume mostly on compass and its already plenty loud.

I forgot to add : Everything is in my opinion and sound can vary a lot to ears/mood/tastes/gear/volume/recording/music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back