REVIEW: Go Vibe Petite DAC/AMP vs. D1
Jan 31, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #61 of 133
Congrats man and welcome to the PETITE CLUB!!!

Not only Grado, which are an good Petite partner, but also KSC75 sounds like Grado
biggrin.gif

I tried GS1k with it and even with some little mids issue, they still great sounding.

We need more members of our club.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woohoo!!! Im finally a member of the club!

First impressions: WOW. My sr60's and x3i are singing like ive never heard before! Off the line out of my 5.5 ipod, bass and soundstage have a DEFINITE improvement. After a quick comparison with the petite and my old go-vibe v5, the petite is much clearer, wider soundstage, fatter bass. Its like i finally experienced what a decent portable should be doing, as opposed to my old portables which merely ampilifed volume (at least to my ears). The petite brings out the best traits of my grados and x3i.

Thu build is S-O-L-I-D. Nice mettalic feel and heft, plus it is really smaller than i expected. Ill try to post pictures later on over at Blackmores petite-pr0n thread hehe.

Looks like the caveats are true though, big cans need not apply. My dt880 250 ohms sounded anemic and underpowered. Sure they were loud at around 3 o clock, but the thump and presence of the signature dt880 sound were not there, so i took em off didnt try again.

But once I went back to the grados, audio nirvana quickly settled in. Once again, I am addicted to my music, and I simply lack the audiophile vocabulary to describe the changes I hear. Ive never had a decent portable setup, and my only basis for comparison is my desktop Millet Hybrid Max. The go-vibe petite is more forward, and to me, is a perfect fit for grados. Seems to me the niche of the petite is making low-impedance cans and iems shine.

Quick noob question though. I first tried pluggin it in my macbook, and leopard refused to recognize it. Is this so? So i cant use it in leopard? I quickly fired up parallels and vista, and vista immediately installed the burr-brown drivers. So the petite isnt mac-compatible? I sure hope not....

And what did you guys get it in the basic package? I just got the amp-dac, with 4 aaa batts already inside, the ouch, and the usb cable. The manual said there is another set of batts and a mini-to-mini cable, but i didnt have one in mine.

Im rushing to type this now, as i want to get back and explore my music library! Ill do a write up on the dac once I sort out my OS woes. I just had to write my first impressions, as i was absolutely floored by its sound. Suddenly, im reaching more for my grados, which has found its purpose in life again!

Gotta play with my new toy first....more impressions as the days roll by....
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #62 of 133
Quote:

Woohoo!!! Im finally a member of the club!

First impressions: WOW. My sr60's and x3i are singing like ive never heard before! Off the line out of my 5.5 ipod, bass and soundstage have a DEFINITE improvement. After a quick comparison with the petite and my old go-vibe v5, the petite is much clearer, wider soundstage, fatter bass. Its like i finally experienced what a decent portable should be doing, as opposed to my old portables which merely ampilifed volume (at least to my ears). The petite brings out the best traits of my grados and x3i.

Thu build is S-O-L-I-D. Nice mettalic feel and heft, plus it is really smaller than i expected. Ill try to post pictures later on over at Blackmores petite-pr0n thread hehe.

Looks like the caveats are true though, big cans need not apply. My dt880 250 ohms sounded anemic and underpowered. Sure they were loud at around 3 o clock, but the thump and presence of the signature dt880 sound were not there, so i took em off didnt try again.

But once I went back to the grados, audio nirvana quickly settled in. Once again, I am addicted to my music, and I simply lack the audiophile vocabulary to describe the changes I hear. Ive never had a decent portable setup, and my only basis for comparison is my desktop Millet Hybrid Max. The go-vibe petite is more forward, and to me, is a perfect fit for grados. Seems to me the niche of the petite is making low-impedance cans and iems shine.

Quick noob question though. I first tried pluggin it in my macbook, and leopard refused to recognize it. Is this so? So i cant use it in leopard? I quickly fired up parallels and vista, and vista immediately installed the burr-brown drivers. So the petite isnt mac-compatible? I sure hope not....

And what did you guys get it in the basic package? I just got the amp-dac, with 4 aaa batts already inside, the ouch, and the usb cable. The manual said there is another set of batts and a mini-to-mini cable, but i didnt have one in mine.

Im rushing to type this now, as i want to get back and explore my music library! Ill do a write up on the dac once I sort out my OS woes. I just had to write my first impressions, as i was absolutely floored by its sound. Suddenly, im reaching more for my grados, which has found its purpose in life again!

Gotta play with my new toy first....more impressions as the days roll by....
wink.gif

Congrats for your nice catch.

Btw, as you got the Petite+DAC model, you should have only the 4 rechargeable batteries. For the "amp-only" Petite model, they will get 4 alkaline batteries instead. The mini to mini interconnect is just a generic one. So you are not missing much. Anyway, I am using a interconnect that uncle Wilson recommended, and it really goes so very well with the amp.

Hope to hear more impressions from you. Cheers.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #63 of 133
i got my petite from Jaben lately. you guys should try his silver interconnect. it's as magical as the petite. but as always, music/sound is always subjective to different ppl.

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #64 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got my petite from Jaben lately. you guys should try his silver interconnect. it's as magical as the petite. but as always, music/sound is always subjective to different ppl.

Congrats for your new toys, it sure is a magical match, as I had briefly touched on.

Yes, since getting the mumba-D from Jaben, his interconnects are the ones I still keep and use. IMO, like his ever-arriving amps and stuff... his ICs are getting better too.

For his newer ICs, I prefer the thicker "core" cable to the flexible "twisted" one. Recently I got 2 new ICs from him, one is a pure silver IC (with 1 green band marking) and the latest which sounded more involving but with very slightly less bass impact (blue and green band marking). As uncle Wilson is currently so very busy with his business, I don't want to bother him with questions about the ICs... just enjoy them as is.

My Petite+DAC has been getting almost all the "airtime" whether I am at my desk or out about. I deem it one of my best buy so far as it is so useful for music, movies, as amp, and so easy to use. It probably is the next most frequently used item currently after my mobile phone.
cool.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #65 of 133
I recently updated my amp review thread, and had it a/b'd to the Lisa III...honestly, aside from the signature of the amp, they're not that far apart IMO. However, I will tell you, the LISA III can and will drive higher impedance cans with more authority...

But again it comes down to size, I believe the Petite is what a portable amp/dac should be. Meant for smaller and easier to drive cans, not try to be some all in one wonder like some other amps and/or DACs are trying to be. not saying they aren't, but some I think are a bit over-zealous and optimistic....

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #66 of 133
update:

My Hd 650's just arrived. Although the dt880 was less than stellar with the petite, the 650s were surprisingly well driven! The bass and mids were nice and punchy, electronica and rap made my chest thump, and they produced a nice full sound!

off topic, i just realized that the 650s are easier to drive than the dt880s,even in my desktop amp. in the petite, the dt880s were too airy, little body and thump, and i had to crank the volume to max to produce an acceptable sound. With the 650s, 1 o clock in the petite was more than adequate, and although im sure the 650s are not maximized by a long shot, they sound good enough to my ears!!

Im in the office right now, with my ipod-petite-650 combo and i must say this is the best portable / transportable rig ive ever had!

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #67 of 133
Cool, thanks for update. Seems that this little amp can drive a various phones with property. So far we have:

Sennh PX100, nice, cos I do not like the sig of it anyway
AKG K81DJ, can be a bit bassy, but thats the nature of them, so EQ can help
Koss KSC75, the best for my taste
Grado GS1000, mids not that great, but still...
Beyer DT880
HD650

Quote:

update:

My Hd 650's just arrived. Although the dt880 was less than stellar with the petite, the 650s were surprisingly well driven! The bass and mids were nice and punchy, electronica and rap made my chest thump, and they produced a nice full sound!

off topic, i just realized that the 650s are easier to drive than the dt880s,even in my desktop amp. in the petite, the dt880s were too airy, little body and thump, and i had to crank the volume to max to produce an acceptable sound. With the 650s, 1 o clock in the petite was more than adequate, and although im sure the 650s are not maximized by a long shot, they sound good enough to my ears!!

Im in the office right now, with my ipod-petite-650 combo and i must say this is the best portable / transportable rig ive ever had!

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #68 of 133
Can anyone compare this amp to the pico?

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #69 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are little jumpers when you open the case up that allow you to switch the gain modes. Really easy and straight forward.

As far as battery life, I saw 5 consecutive days (didn't turn her off for 5 days)days on 850mah AAA rechargeable batteries at about 1/3 volume in high gain which is really only rated at 75hrs with those batteries. You're supposed to see over 100 if you use alkalines, but I suspect I will see right at or over 200 if using alkalines, and near double that if the gain is lowered.

Are there only 2 settings?
Which one is high and which is low?

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #70 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone compare this amp to the pico?

maybe predator or the upcoming d2 too

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #71 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anda8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there only 2 settings?
Which one is high and which is low?

Sorry, I re-read the manual and found the description - Really don't know how i missed it the first time I read it!

Another question:
If your headhones isn't too demanding, would you then want to keep the setting on low gain or is it better to keep it on high gain?
Is the low gain only for IEM?
confused.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #72 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anda8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I re-read the manual and found the description - Really don't know how i missed it the first time I read it!

Another question:
If your headhones isn't too demanding, would you then want to keep the setting on low gain or is it better to keep it on high gain?
Is the low gain only for IEM?
confused.gif

I always use low gain unless I can't get the volume I want with a particular headphone or source, then I go up to the next level if I need it.

Several amps have been reported to sound better in low gain, like Meier, and even the Predator I think sounds a little warmer in low gain, although this difference is going away as I reached 930 hours. It also gives me more precise control over the volume knob, and keeps me out of the bottom 10% of the volume knob which in some amps results in an imbalance between left and right at very low volumes. I have that issue with HeadSix PenguinAmp and iBasso D1, but not with Predator or SuperMacro 3, for example.

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #75 of 133
Sorry for being newbie here, but with Go Vibe Petite do I still need a soundcard for PC?

Or do I just plug this in and choose "DAC" from sound devices.

Thinking to pair these with Denon D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back