Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
Jul 17, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #496 of 686
I'm finding that with the UE 18 Pro and JH Audio 13 CIEMs the Estron Linum Balanced 2.5 TRRS sounds very impressive, far better than stock cable and also takes the nod over the Double Helix in some respects. But (enter CrAzY mode here) with the Noble K10 the Linum is not a good match and prefer the top line sliver Double Helix balanced. Hope to get the review written and published for the August issue of the Review Magazine (crossing fingers).

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #497 of 686
There has been a lot of talk about Linum BaX cable.  Without a doubt it's quite popular and takes all the spotlight, but Linum also makes Music and Vocal cables and those get very little attention.  After testing and reviewing BaX, BaX balanced, and Super BaX balanced, I just had an opportunity to test their Music version (Thank You Heidi!!! @Linum) as well as their new storage case.  Here is a little mini-review of Music cable version, comparison to BaX, and also a few eye-candy shots of their case!

I was a little worried that Music and BaX cables will look identical to the point where I won't be able to tell them apart, aside from sound sig difference.  Turned out, there is a significant difference.  Overall, you still get a super slim short 3.5mm connector with a strain relief and a rubbery coating for easy grip.  Also, slim rubbery mmcx connectors with a decent strain relief as well.  And of course, a chin slider (cinch) with a color-coded dot to indicate Left (blue) and Right (red) sides of the cable.  That's where similarities end.  Music cable has y-splitter with a single cable going to 3.5mm connector, while BaX y-splitter is really pass-though where the cable going to 3.5mm connector is twisted.  There is definitely no way you can mistake these.

Design details of Music cable:

Music cable next to BaX (on the right)

The difference in sound signature is quite noticeable as well.  While testing with Fidue A83 3-way hybrid, here is what I found:

- Music cable is a little lower in volume, while BaX makes sound a little louder
- Mid-bass is very close, though a little faster in BaX, while Music has a bit more sub-bass
- Mids are warmer in Music, while in BaX they are brighter and a bit more upfront
- Treble is a touch crispier in BaX, otherwise very similar between BaX and Music

Based on this observation, I think Music is great for use with hybrid or bright IEMs where you want to tone done brightness of upper mids/treble.  For example in my test with A83, BaX performed on par with Silver cables, making sound brighter and a bit harsher.  In a contrast, Music version smoothed it out.  I do have to admit that sound was no longer as analytical, but was more pleasant for extended non-fatigue listening.

With Fidue A83:

As a lot of you aware, Linum is one of the thinnest cables you can find anywhere.  It literally looks invisible in over-ear fitment.

Next to Whiplash Pure Copper:

Also, Linum just introduced a cool new zippered case for cable/iem storage which I was curious about as well.  This is the largest case I have seen so far, but at the same time - it's just perfect to carry multiple cables, a few pairs of IEMs, and even a smaller size DAP.  I managed to fit FiiO X3ii without a problem, had 3 cables and a pair of IEMs all comfortably fitted inside.  Absolutely love the ergonomics of this case!

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #499 of 686
Hey,

Is the only place at the moment to get T2 Connector cables direct from Estron's store or from Cosmic Ears?

I have a set of Cosmic Ears but the jack snapped off my T2 cable because I regularly have it in my pocket. Need to get a replacement but they're out of stock at CE and a bit expensive direct from Estron!

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #504 of 686
My Linum bax cable has a split just above the t-piece, below the slider. I received mine at the end of March so has not lasted long at all. I will have to get another as it is great as I wear glasses

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #505 of 686
I know this is not the right place to ask this, but since it is Linux cable that we are talking. I got the music variant of Linux cable since 3mos ago. Enjoying the immense comfort with my FX850 and A83 (with intermittent sound cutting issue on stock cable. As i went home yesterday, with the cables tucked under my shirt, I noticed that the chin slider was missing from the cable. I was surprised because i thought the chin slider was as durable as the cable. With the chin slider gone, i cannot sport the cables over-the-ear as they fall off easily from my small ears. As such, i cannot use the A83 for its over-the-ear listening. My question now is there anything i can use to makeshift a chin slider for the cables? I know that they are thin as guitar strings, so that makes them difficult to handle with the conventional assemblies. Hope you can help me with my small problem. Thanks!

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #506 of 686
I know this is not the right place to ask this, but since it is Linux cable that we are talking. I got the music variant of Linux cable since 3mos ago. Enjoying the immense comfort with my FX850 and A83 (with intermittent sound cutting issue on stock cable. As i went home yesterday, with the cables tucked under my shirt, I noticed that the chin slider was missing from the cable. I was surprised because i thought the chin slider was as durable as the cable. With the chin slider gone, i cannot sport the cables over-the-ear as they fall off easily from my small ears. As such, i cannot use the A83 for its over-the-ear listening. My question now is there anything i can use to makeshift a chin slider for the cables? I know that they are thin as guitar strings, so that makes them difficult to handle with the conventional assemblies. Hope you can help me with my small problem. Thanks!

The easiest thing to do in my opinion would be to contact Head-Fi sponsor @Linum, and see what they can do for you.  Good luck and please let us know what happens!

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #507 of 686

The easiest thing to do in my opinion would be to contact Head-Fi sponsor @Linum, and see what they can do for you.  Good luck and please let us know what happens!

Just shot an email to their support staff. But they are on holidays until 27th, so I won't expect a fast response. For the meantime, I'm using the FX850 with the cables until response arrives. Though this is not an ideal setup because the chin slider helps stop the cable in the y-split section to expand when the drivers are dangling in my shoulders. Without the splitter, the drivers and cable droop below far as they can. Not comfortable.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #508 of 686
Just shot an email to their support staff. But they are on holidays until 27th, so I won't expect a fast response. For the meantime, I'm using the FX850 with the cables until response arrives. Though this is not an ideal setup because the chin slider helps stop the cable in the y-split section to expand when the drivers are dangling in my shoulders. Without the splitter, the drivers and cable droop below far as they can. Not comfortable.

Thanks for the update.  Just a few days wait until you should be able to get in contact with them, no worries at all then!  
regular_smile .gif
  Tape would always work as a makeshift splitter or arts and craft a thin noodle-like piece onto the cable.  So many possibilities.  I would just take it to a place like Michael's (arts and crafts store), and have an associate think of what doodad they have that would work well with your cable.  Maybe the associate can give you tips on how to get the doodad to fit as well!  Just talking off the top of my head...haven't slept yet, working on a school assignment.  Good luck, divineness!

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #509 of 686

Use something like this:
   or a zipper's slider body  and then tape around the sides.

edit:

Easier yet
1 - grab a straw
2 - cut it in two, one for each cable (L & R)
3 - cut again to reduce the size to what you want for the cinch height
4 - then use an scalpel to cut its 'belly'
5 - slide each cable through the cut
6 - tape around the straw to prevent the cable from evading through the slit
7 - tape both straws together

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #510 of 686
Back when I had to add a chin slider to a headphone that didn't have one, I just used electrical tape, inside out.  If you do it tight enough (which may be hard w the extremely thin cables of the BaX) it is tacky enough to hold in place when you're wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back